Garage Door Realy/Status giving me issues

ejh3

Good morning all!

A few months back I installed a insteon garage door status kit, all was well until a month or so ago. If I close the garage door using the remote from my car, it will close, but immediately go back up. I usually have to repeat this process 3-4 times until the door stays down. I would also like to add that there is a small program associated to the door that uses my isy to trigger flod lights when the garage opens when it is dark out. When the door closes those same lights are programmed to shut off.

I plan to take the leads (garage door contact) off the insteon relay to see if taking the door status out allows the door to close without an issue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Ed

Hi Ed-

While it is possible that this is an Insteon or Programming issue, I would not expect a problem like this to occur unless you happened to have made some changes that correspond to the time this problem started. A more likely cause in my opinion is that the down position sensor has come lose and is no longer in the right position to tell the door system to stop, causing the down pressure sensor (crush prevention) to reverse the door direction when it hits the floor.

-Xathros

I agree with xathros.

Another possibility is the light-beam safety system associated with most garage door systems. Perhaps it has become dirty, or misalinged. Or possibly something has come loose that blocks the sensors at a given door position.

One clue might be when the door actually reverses direction...is it only after fully closing, or part way?

Yes, removing the wire from the IOLinc should isolate the problem further. Alternatively, temporarily removing the sensor could help in the troubleshooting steps.

Another option is to watch the ISY event viewer and program status as the door is closing to see what is happening with the ISY during this critical period.

I also have a slight different problem with my Garage Door Kit, First the Garage Door Goes up and down fine, no problems as described above.

However when it closes its status reports "Closed", "Open", "Closed" and then remains with a Closed status until I reopen the door. Any Ideas on how to fine tune this or filter it out with a program so that if I have a program that says something like:

If

Between Sunset - Sunrise (next day)

And Garage Door status is Open

Then

Set Flood light' On

Else

Set Flood Light' Off

The Flood Light doesn’t turn OFF and then ON then OFF again.

Thanks for your help

I also have a slight different problem with my Garage Door Kit, First the Garage Door Goes up and down fine, no problems as described above.

However when it closes its status reports "Closed", "Open", "Closed" and then remains with a Closed status until I reopen the door. Any Ideas on how to fine tune this or filter it out with a program so that if I have a program that says something like:

If

Then

Set Flood light' On

Else

Set Flood Light' Off

The Flood Light doesn’t turn OFF and then ON then OFF again.

Thanks for your help

Add a wait to filter the switch bounces:

If

Then

Wait 2

Set Flood light' On

Else

Wait 2

Set Flood Light' Off

This will add a 2 second delay before executing the floodlight operations giving the door sensor time to settl down.

-Xathros

• 1 month later...

Archived