Issues with Status Changes

Hello guys,

I am having some communication issues with my ISY and KPLs.

I have some scenes with some lights and KPLs. For example, I have a KPL in an enclosure by the couch. It has buttons like Living Room, Kitchen, Stairs etc.

For "Kitchen", I have the kitchen switches and a button on the KPL both as controllers. When I use the actual switches in the kitchen, the lights work fine, but sometimes the button on the KPL won't light up or turn on the lights.

The ISY can see all the devices fine and communicates with them fine... But it is obviously not. Does anyone know what could be causing these communication issues?

Often switches and outlets are on different circuit breakers. This means the KPL in the desktop enclosure could be on the opposite 120v leg. Verify the Access Points are in RF range of each other and on opposite 120v legs by running the 4 tap set button test.

There could be interference on the circuit the KPL is plugged into. Some CFLs, cell phone charges, things like that could be plugged into the same outlet circuit the KPL is powered from. Try moving the KPL to a completely different circuit. Moving to a different outlet in the same room will probably not change the circuit.

Actually, one of the buttons on the KPL (Living Room) and the lights in the living room are all in the same circuit... The lights in the living room and the KPL... they are all in the living room. When the breaker goes off, the KPL and the lights go off. 95% go my lights are LED bulbs while there are a few that are the stupid new GU24 base and I can't fit a conversion adapter inside. But those have never caused issues... I've troubleshooter by taking the bulbs out. I do, however, have cell phone and iPad chargers all over my home which are plugged in 24/7 as well as iPhone alarm clocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The lights in the living room and the KPL... they are all in the living room.

And you are having trouble with these!? When you control the living room lights, the KPL does not respond? All are in the same scene, all as controllers?

There are only a couple of things I can think:

a) bad device (sounds unlikely)

B) communication problem between devices

c) communication problem between device and PLM

As far as communication between devices, I have no magic tricks. Trial and error, removing potential problem-causers is all I got. There are scene tests in the ISY that give an indication of communication quality, but cannot isolate a problem to a given device or devices. You tried bulbs. Try the power supplies for all those apple devices.

Communication between device and PLM can, in my experience, also cause problems. For this, access points can help. Did you follow LeeGs advice and verify access points are on opposite legs? Do you have access points?

I have also suspected that marginal communication between PLM and device and corrupt programming and scene creation process. Sometimes, it can help by removing devices from ISY, factory resetting the device, and adding back.

Archived