Scene Settings

davbow

New to the ISY, so I am trying to get my bearings . . .

I have created a scene:

scenename

--controller

--responder1

--responder2

I understand the settings for the responders when I select the controller. What I am trying to understand is how the responder settings come into play when the scenename is selected. What is the difference - how would the scenename settings be used - called from a program?

Thanks for any insight . . . .

A controller is any Insteon device that when activated (pushed on/off etc) causes the scene to execute. It is by definition also a responder.

A responder is a device that will execute on/off/etc upon receiving a message that the scene was executed. Pushing the device directly will not have any affect on the other members of the scene.

What happens when a controller device is pushed on directly is what is listed in the scene as "applied locally". If you click on that device under the scene name in the tree of devices. This same information is also found under the switch settings as a single device in the tree of devices on the ISY home page.

What happens when a device responds to a scene is listed when you click on the scene name itself.

When you have multiple devices in a scene, you can click the box that applies everything to all devices the same, or you can not check that and set each device to do something different when the scene is activated.

When you want to set the applied locally settings, you can click the box to have it copy from the scene, or you can set it to do something different when you directly push the switch as compared to when the switch responds to the scene.

What I am trying to understand is how the responder settings come into play when the scenename is selected. What is the difference - how would the scenename settings be used - called from a program?

Thanks for any insight . . . .

Hi davbow-

When you select the scene name in the ISY, you are adjusting the scene settings that are used when the ISY is the controller - either activating from the admin console, dashboard, Mobilinc or an ISY program.

-Xathros

Archived