Motion Sensor... Cannot determine Insteon Engine

Mio_f1

Hello,

I just bought two 2842-222 motion sensors (rev 2.4).

I try to add them from "Link Management -> Add a Motion Sensor". I am using v4.05 for both firmware and UI.

After a few seconds I get an error: "Cannot determine Insteon Engine" (log attached).

Both devices give me this error.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,

-Mio_f1

note: Rebooted several times to make sure but still unlucky.

note2: Using ISY994i/IR

note3: This is my first post on this forum!

ISY-Events-Log.v4.0.5__Sun 2013.11.10 21.36.40.txt

Make sure 27 8F 68 is the correct device address. Sometimes 8's and B's can look near alike.

Make sure the Motion Sensor is put into linking mode with the Motion Sensor Set button before clicking Ok on New INSTEON Device.

Make sure the Motion Sensor is near a Dual Band device that has reliable communication with the PLM. The event trace shows Insteon address 27 8F 68 did not respond to three attempts to communicate with the Motion Sensor. Most common causes are not being in linking mode or not being near a Dual Band device.

EDIT: I should have said this first. Welcome to the forum.

Hello,

Many thanks for your quick response...

The issue has been resolved and it is not related to an incorrect address...

Being used to add my other devices directly without having to put them in link mode(2476D for example), I did not realize that motion sensors needed to be put into link mode manually beforehand.

Problem solved!

A beginner's error.

Many thanks!

Glad to hear it is resolved.

The battery powered RF only devices such as Motion Sensor, Mini Remote (RemoteLinc2), TriggerLinc, Leak Sensor and others have to be put into linking mode to keep them awake when adding to the ISY and when making Scene changes that involve the devices. Battery powered devices go to sleep (turn Off the RF circuitry) to extend battery life. While asleep the devices cannot be remotely read or written to.

Archived