Shut off water pump if it runs for too long

nfaries

I have a 110v water pump which is controlled by a mechanical pressure switch. Recently I had a toilet with a stuck valve run out several thousand gallons of water, emptying my water cistern. I've had similar problems before with the pump running for hours because it had lost its prime, or the cistern had run out of water.

I'd like to run a program that switched off power to the pump if it ran for more than 20 mins, but how do I sense that the pump is running? I was thinking of using load sense on an appliancelinc, or a switchlinc relay.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance..

An ApplianceLinc cannot be used as it has no Controller function. That is, it does not send a message to the ISY/PLM when sense turns the ApplianceLinc On. The newer Insteon On/Off Module 2635-222 is a 2-prong replacement for the ApplianceLinc and it does have Controller capability.

I'm not certain but I thought Smarthome no longer sells a SwitchLinc that has sense capability.

You can use an IOlinc and 2 relays.

One relay has a 120vac coil (I'm assuming your pump runs on 120vac) and is placed in parallel with the pump power, between the pressure switch and the pump itself. When the pressure switch powers the pump, it will also power the relay coil and close the contacts. The output side of the relay is connected to the IOlinc. In this fashion, when the relay coil (and thus pump) are powered, the IOlinc will see the contacts on the relay close and signal ISY.

The other relay would be a 12vdc coil and a 120vac contact side (like the Elk relays on SH's website). This relay would be used to interrupt power to the pump. The coil would be powered from the IOlinc and thus ISY can turn the IOlinc output on/off which in turn opens/closes the relay which interrupts/connects power to the pump.

• 5 months later...

Archived