Thermostat: Fail-safe if program does not turn heat one

JSP0511

Not having one of the Insteon TStats to play with, I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas on this one. I have not seen this behavior reported here before and can only attribute this to program activity.

Can you monitor the ISY Log and see if there are any entries at the time the stat reverts back. Also check last run times on programs for a matching time stamp.

-Xathros

Ok I'll play with it. As of now, this is not an emergency. For the most part, the called for temps will work but as a "just in case" I'd like the option to change the temp, more for the wife.

I fully agree that it should work the way you are asking for it to. Hopefully, this last bit will pin down whats causing this.

-Xathros

Just counted. 85 (including PLM and 3 access points) - Many more nodes as I have 4 KPL8's, 7 Motion sensors, 4 Open/close sensors, 3 IOLincs, 1 Stat all of which have multiple nodes.

Will be adding a few more SwitchLinc relays and probably some door sensors after they release and are proven. I have 7 ZWave devices (locksets, dimmer, and some outlet relays) that are included in the count.

-Xathros

Just counted. 85 (including PLM and 3 access points) - Many more nodes as I have 4 KPL8's, 7 Motion sensors, 4 Open/close sensors, 3 IOLincs, 1 Stat all of which have multiple nodes.

Will be adding a few more SwitchLinc relays and probably some door sensors after they release and are proven. I have 7 ZWave devices (locksets, dimmer, and some outlet relays) that are included in the count.

-Xathros

Very cool! I have maybe 25-30 including some lamp and powerlincs for seasonal lighting and the garage kit of course (seems to be a default lol). 1 KPL for now. Once smarthome offers a some type of deal I'll grab a few more switches. I need a microlinc for a RAB Motion light I just installed. Would like to know when it goes on between certain hours, get a text/email for that and syncrolincs for the washer & dryer.

Eventually would like to add a lock set but not sure my brain can take on adding Zwave to my system lol. Also, not a fan of the battery powered lock sets, what are your thoughts on those?

Very cool! I have maybe 25-30 including some lamp and powerlincs for seasonal lighting and the garage kit of course (seems to be a default lol). 1 KPL for now. Once smarthome offers a some type of deal I'll grab a few more switches. I need a microlinc for a RAB Motion light I just installed. Would like to know when it goes on between certain hours, get a text/email for that and syncrolincs for the washer & dryer.

Eventually would like to add a lock set but not sure my brain can take on adding Zwave to my system lol. Also, not a fan of the battery powered lock sets, what are your thoughts on those?

Rolled my own laundry monitoring with a combo of some MT-800 current transformers and a CAI Web Control board. As for the locksets, it depends on the lockset I guess. I have a few BE599's From Schlage that work well with the ISY alpha Zwave and have been pretty good in terms of manual use and battery consumption. I have a Schlage BE469 deadbolt that I haven't been able to use with the ISY (yet) but I think in a few weeks that will be resolved with the beta. The 469 has what they call a touch screen (actually a backlit membrane keypad). Its working great so far but I have a feeling that the keypad is the weak link on this unit. I suspect the plastic outer membrane will degrade with weather/UV exposure and once it cracks, it will be all over for that keypad. Of course, all of these locksets have manual key override so a dead battery is not the end of the world (as long as you have your key...). I expect I will be able to monitor battery status and alert will in advance before they quit. after about 6 months installed, I had to change batteries in the oldest 599. That one gets the most use but I think the replacement name brand batteries may last longer and since the kids have gotten over the newness of that lockset, It's seeing alot less usage.

-Xathros

Rolled my own laundry monitoring with a combo of some MT-800 current transformers and a CAI Web Control board. As for the locksets, it depends on the lockset I guess. I have a few BE599's From Schlage that work well with the ISY alpha Zwave and have been pretty good in terms of manual use and battery consumption. I have a Schlage BE469 deadbolt that I haven't been able to use with the ISY (yet) but I think in a few weeks that will be resolved with the beta. The 469 has what they call a touch screen (actually a backlit membrane keypad). Its working great so far but I have a feeling that the keypad is the weak link on this unit. I suspect the plastic outer membrane will degrade with weather/UV exposure and once it cracks, it will be all over for that keypad. Of course, all of these locksets have manual key override so a dead battery is not the end of the world (as long as you have your key...). I expect I will be able to monitor battery status and alert will in advance before they quit. after about 6 months installed, I had to change batteries in the oldest 599. That one gets the most use but I think the replacement name brand batteries may last longer and since the kids have gotten over the newness of that lockset, It's seeing alot less usage.

-Xathros

Haha, the kids and your new toys. Good stuff!

Elk is in my longer range plans as well. I do believe that you can take advantage of all of the Elk sensors from within the ISY. Line Powered Pet-Immune motion sensors to replace all of my battery operated insect detecting Insteon motion sensors! I can't wait!

-Xathros

Elk is in my longer range plans as well. I do believe that you can take advantage of all of the Elk sensors from within the ISY. Line Powered Pet-Immune motion sensors to replace all of my battery operated insect detecting Insteon motion sensors! I can't wait!

-Xathros

Haha tell me about it! My wife and I bought our house about 1.5 years ago. We have 2 20-25lb dogs and they set off any motion they walked by. Our alarm company recommended new sensors which I paid a pretty penny to have installed only for them to work just as poorly as the previous ones. The excuse was that they didn't realize we had 2 dogs, not 1. They re-replaced the sensors but still from time to time we get a false alarm. Usually when they jump on the couch (we usually block them from the living room when we are not home but there was a time we didn't) or when they run up/down the basement stairs (will relocate the sensor when i'm done tiling down there).

We have since had our external sirens muted :( if not, we would have been excommunicated from the neighborhood by now.

For now I refuse to purchase battery powered sensors for $30 a pop when I have sensors I'll eventually be able to take advantage of.

I fully agree that it should work the way you are asking for it to. Hopefully, this last bit will pin down whats causing this.

-Xathros

I change my therm programs to call for set points rather than scenes. This seems to have fixed the program.

I believe I used scenes at first because I thought I would have way more tstat programs but that is not the case. Setting the program up with setpoints will work just fine.

Thanks again.

Jerry

Archived