Insteon linking woes?

Vortec4800

In trying to set up my ISY with my insteon stuff but the linking process doesn't seem to be working. I've already linked some 3-way switches to each other with no problem. I'll put the ISY into link mode and hold the switch to link them, but the led on the switch just blinks and nothing happens. Eventually the switch just times out of linking mode and that's it. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Take the wallplate off and look at the switch. You will see the switch's address on a sticker (you don't have to remove the switch). It will look like xx.xx.xx. Copy it down and go back to your PC and click Link Manangement and then New Insteon Device and then enter the address you copied off the swith and see if that works.

It's a good idea to keep an inventory sheet of the addresses and locations of all your devices. it will save a lot of running around to verify what's what and saves the hassle of having to do the manual linking.

I would also try the direct address and see if it can communicate that way. If not you may have a signal problem to that circuit.

Do you have a set of Access Points to bridge the split phase power found in most homes?

Though much better than X10 signals; Insteon Signals can be absorbed by some devices or masked by power line noise makers.

The AP's would be a good chance to get better communications. I started with an old all X10 compatible Smarthome system and had the simple .1uf AC rated cap across the phases, that many used. My Insteon communications was OK though some retransmits where showing in some areas. Added two older SignaLinc RFs that are now replaced with Access Points. Both improved things greatly.

Keep us informed on the progress.

I ordered a pair of access points that will be here tomorrow. I tried the address directly with no success. Do you think the APs will fix my problem?

If you don't already have a pair of Access Points then it will make a big difference. Be sure to follow the installation instructions carefully to ensure that one ends up on each leg. Insteon specs require at least two access points, one on each leg, as a minimum configuration to support operation. They are included in the Starter Kits if you bought one of those.

I'll put the ISY into link mode and hold the switch to link them

When you say this do you mean you are linking to the ISY by Clicking "START LINKING" on the ISY GUI and then pressing the SET button below the rocker switch, or are you holding the rocker switch of a SWL?

Drew

I'll put the ISY into link mode and hold the switch to link them

When you say this do you mean you are linking to the ISY by Clicking "START LINKING" on the ISY GUI and then pressing the SET button below the rocker switch, or are you holding the rocker switch of a SWL?

Drew

Yes, pressing the button on the ISY GUI then holding the top portion of the SWL rocker switch.

You actually don't have to press anything on the switch if you have the 6 digit code from the sticker. Just open "New Insteon Device" type in the code (i.e. 0b.66.3a) and let the ISY go find it and all the links. No running back and forth!

Yes with the 6 digit ID you don't have to run all over to do the addition.

I have a log of all IDs and where they are located.

Even adding a KeypadLinc and RemoteLinc have special tabs to do it.

I must have saved at least 30 minutes of not running all over when adding modules to a RemoteLinc. ISY-26 and now a ISY99i are so easy to use. :D

Hi Vortec4800

I believe to link the SWL you click the start linking inthe drop down menu on the ISY GUI then press the SET button on the bottom of the SWL (a little tab under the rocker portion of the switch.

Brobin and BrianH are also correct that punching in the 6 digit code is good as well (make sure you write them all down first beofre putting the switch covers back on)

Another way to keep a list of all your 6 digit codes is to generate a topography from the ISY GUI when you have all your switches up and running.

Drew

Archived