Communication Problems with ISY-994i/IR Pro

Baja

I'm trying to write changes to an Insteon device (OutletLinc Dual/Band dimmer outlet) from my ISY-994i GUI and I get this error message:

Cannot communicate with Please check connections.

The lamp that's plugged into this outlet can be turned on & off from the ISY-994i GUI but it doesn't respond when a scheduled Program turns a scene on or off that contains this Insteon device.

In trying to troubleshoot a problem I was having, I removed this device from the scene and then deleted the device. When I tried to Link a new Insteon device, I choose to clear the existing links rather than keeping them. Now the device link table and the ISY link table are out of synch and I can't seem to get them back in synch. I don't know if I'm dealing with two separate problems here or if the one problem is causing the other.

The last link record is an End-of-List record which starts with a 00 in the first byte. The remaining 7 bytes have no meaning and will usually be different. If the last record is where the difference is ignore it. If not the last record post the Show Device Links Table with Compare.

Right click the Scene containing the OutletLinc Dimmer node. Select Diagnostics | Scene Test. What does the popup of the Scene Test show once the test is complete?

The Scene Test failed because the PLM does not have the required link records. Note the missing response from the device when a Scene Test works ...

Tue 12/03/2013 02:26:13 PM : [GRP-RX ] 02 61 5E 13 00 06

Tue 12/03/2013 02:26:14 PM : [CLEAN-UP-RPT] 02 58 06

Tue 12/03/2013 02:26:14 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 1A.84.BB 22.80.0B 61 13 5E LTOFFRR(5E)

Tue 12/03/2013 02:26:14 PM : [std-Cleanup Ack] 1A.84.BB-->ISY/PLM Group=0, Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

----- SceneOutletLinc Test Results -----

[succeeded] OutLetLinc Dimmer (1A 84 BB 1)

----- SceneOutletLinc Test Results -----

Tue 12/03/2013 02:26:22 PM : [iNST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 00 00 5E CF 13 00

Tue 12/03/2013 02:26:22 PM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 00.00.5E CF 13 00 06 LTOFFRR(00)

Since all the devices fail to show this inbound message I take it to mean the PLM has lost its link records.

The OutletLinc link record problem is odd. Was the OutletLinc added back to the various Scenes after being Deleted and added back to the ISY? It appears the ISY Link table was perhaps from before the OutletLinc was Deleted from the ISY and not deleted when the OutletLinc was Deleted. A Restore Device should bring the link table back although the issue of not being able to read the OutletLinc may indicate a comm issue with the OutletLinc.

Also noted the Write failure to a different device. Are there various issues with comm?

Yes, you are correct. The OutletLinc was deleted and then added back to the ISY. To restore a device do I just right-click on that device and select an option to restore? It seems like I tried doing that but it failed because it couldn't communicate with the device. I'm not sure about that, but I'll test it tonight when I get home from work.

I had a scene defined that turned on and off a lamp plugged into an OutletLinc Dual/Band dimmer device and a nightlight plugged into an OutletLinc On/Off device. I had a program defined that turned this scene on at night and off in the morning. The lamp worked every time without a problem but about 20% of the time the nightlight would fail to turn on or off. Because I live in a multi-level house and these devices are very far away from my ISY and PLM devices, I had an electrician come out last Wednesday and install a SignaLinc phase coupler thinking that would solve my problem. However, it seems to have madae things worse. After that my lamp started having problems too. That's why I deleted it and then added it again to my ISY, trying to solve this problem. Now it appears that I'm compounding my problems. I'm just trying to get things back to the state they were in before I deleted the OutletLinc device from my ISY.

Is it possible that installing a SignaLinc device could be causing me problems? That doesn't make sense to me, but it appears to be the case.

If there is noise on one phase of the homes wiring.

It is possible the SignaLinc Passive Coupler in the breaker box is now coupling the noise from one phase to the other phase.

Could also be coupling the other phase into a signal sucker.

Is the PLM on the same outlet or branch circuit as you computing equipment or an UPS?

Is the UPS on a FilterLinc?

Many UPS devices will lower the Insteon signal level. Best to have UPS and any other devices (other than PLM) on a FilterLinc

Also turn the circuit breaker off that is powering the passive coupler. Assuming Access Points are already in place the passive coupler is not needed.

No, it's not on a FilterLinc - that's the first I've heard of that device. What's the purpose then of the SignaLinc if it's not needed? The information I've been reading tells me that's the best way to improve reliability. Is that information wrong?

The phase coupler allows powerline signals to more reliably travel from devices on one phase of your home electrical service to devices on the other phase. You can use Access Points or the wired phase coupler to assist with this. Note, devices on differing phases can often communicate without a phase coupler or access points, but probably not as reliably.

The FilterLinc is used to remove noise from devices that generate noise onto the power line, thus interfering with the Insteon signals so they may not reach their destination. Fluorescent lights can do this too, as well as UPSs and other devices. You should plug these devices into a FilterLinc and then plug the FilterLinc directly into a wall outlet to block the noise from being injected onto the power line.

These are two separate problems that can both affect Insteon reliability, so both a phase coupler (or access points) and FilterLincs should be used.

UPS AC inputs almost always have a noise filter in them. That absorbs the Insteon and X10 if you used it power line signals. Like any other power line noise.

The Filterlinc isolates the UPS power line conditioning filter from absorbing the Insteon power line signals.

You do need phase coupling as pointed out and some select items on FilterLincs to stop signal problems.

Archived