2441TH Thermostat Unreliable Communication

New Insteon and forum user with a simple system: ISY994i/IR Pro with PLM, (1) 2477S switch controlling exterior lighting and (2) 2441TH thermostats, one for living room and one for master bedroom.

Initial linking was easy for the switch and the living room thermostat. However, the master bedroom thermostat took three tries.

Since linking, the master bedroom thermostat does not appear to be communicating reliably. Browsing the logs shows Temperature, Setpoint and Humidity with some sort of regularity, but it occasionally misses programs, and I have never had it successfully update the Heat/Cool State in the ISY. I use Heat/Cool State to increment variables for daily runtimes, which works great for the living room thermostat, but has never incremented for the master bedroom thermostat.

For troubleshooting, I have run through the different ISY Diagnostics options, comparing the results between the two thermostats. They always seem to match, apart from the different addresses. I have browsed through the log, and besides the initial errors during linking, I have only seen an occasional Brighten and Dim error for the master bedroom thermostat. I cranked the Event Viewer log level to 3 and compared output when querying the two thermostats, and when diffed they look identical, apart from addresses and some ERX responses.

Any tips to help with troubleshooting the communications would be greatly appreciated.

It has been said here that the Insteon thermostat has a very directional antenna in it and it favors devices directly in front of it rather than to the sides. If you have an access point or dual band lamp module, try placing one of those across the room the the TStat and see if communications improve.

-Xathros

Archived