Energy Usage?

Jason Miller

Hi jam583,

Yes, but you need to be a little more specific as far as what you consider a "meter"?

If your utility provider has installed Smart Meters and if they allow you to connect to it, then ISY994i ZS Series provides you with meter information:

https://www.universal-devices.com/utili ... zs-series/

On the other hand, if you don't have a Smart Meter, then you could use ISY994i Z Series in conjunction with Brultech meters (with CTs):

https://www.universal-devices.com/comme ... -z-series/

And, finally, with the introduction of our Z-Wave solution, in the near future, you could use ISY994i Series + Z-Wave to get energy information from Z-Wave energy aware devices.

With kind regards,

Michel

New guy here .. just getting my feet wet. I am curious if anything exists to hook into meter to see energy usage and monitor it. Ideally, it could hook to the ISY device. Perhaps when energy usage is peaking power non emergency items down,etc.

This is my personal experience with the Brultech Green Eye Monitor (GEM) and the ISY-994iZ IR Pro. I hope you enjoy a long read! :mrgreen:

http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929

Teken . . .

Teken,

I've been loosely following your posts on your system as I contemplate moving forward with my energy monitoring. Just getting around to installing my 994 with Zigbee (upgrading from 99) this weekend (I hope - time is always scarce). Are you still happy with your GEM? Any final pointers? Thanks,

Joe

Teken,

I've been loosely following your posts on your system as I contemplate moving forward with my energy monitoring. Just getting around to installing my 994 with Zigbee (upgrading from 99) this weekend (I hope - time is always scarce). Are you still happy with your GEM? Any final pointers? Thanks,

Joe

Hello Joe,

Are you still happy with your GEM?

Absolutely, since day one! :mrgreen: There have been tremendous improvements in terms of stability and features since I deployed my GEM system more than a year ago.

Any final pointers?

1. Plan your install to ensure proper routing of CT's (Current Transformers) with in your service panel is appropriate. If you need to lengthen the CT cables you can use CAT5e Ethernet cable to do so.

2. Label every CT coming out of the service panel with what ever naming convention you believe makes sense. This will save you lots of time down the road and helps trouble shoot a circuit months down the line.

3. CT Orientation: Make sure all of the CT's are facing the right direction per the manual. The worst case you simply reverse the wires in the GEM to accomplish this task. Its better to have it done right the first go round then to see your readings showing (-) negatives which will drive you bonkers! :x

4. Update the COM and Engine firmware to the latest before you do anything. Doing so will ensure previous bugs are resolved and you enjoy all of the new features the new releases bring.

5. GEM Internal Setup Page: Before you do anything to the GEM take the time to screen capture all of the pages as you saw in my install thread. This will help you trouble shoot and revert back to what ever prior changes as memory is short 4-5 months later! :mrgreen:

This is one of the main drivers of why I published my install thread in the forums. To help me and those that follow see the incremental changes and their effects on the system etc.

6. Main Voltage: The GEM can be adjusted internally to compensate for the line voltage coming into your home from the POCO. Please ensure you use a quality DMM with True RMS to measure the line voltage. The purpose of fine tuning the PT settings is to have the most accuracy which is the ultimate goal!

If your true line voltage is 125 VAC, but the GEM shows 119 VAC. Your readings will be inaccurate thus negating your ability to measure and capture vampire draws etc.

7. FAQ: I started a small initial FAQ to address the install and configuration of the GEM to ISY. It is on page 5 and provides all the relevant things to do to accomplish the set up.

8. Create an account in the Brultech forum so you can ask questions and also down load all the software and manuals.

Both companies are small and each of them have that small town feel. Meaning, they are eager to help and willing to listen to their customers. I have been working with Ben / Paul for more than a year in the direct development of the GEM and Dash Box. Very much like Michel of UDI they have been responsive to bugs, improvements, and expanding the capability of their product(s).

Everyone, moving forward will reap an entire year of my personal pain! :mrgreen: Being on the bleeding edge comes with a cost and that is enduring bugs, waiting, and testing.

At the end of the day it has evolved the product to be best in class and others pail in comparisons. At this point in time both UDI and Brultech are working on incorporating temperature, pulse, and current / amps into the ISY-994iZ.

I would appreciate it very much if you make your presence known in the Brultech sub forum in this site. As with anything priorities are ranked in terms of how many people want this feature vs ROI to the vendor(s).

Its safe to say I have spear headed the development of both products and brought both companies new paying customers, all based on the Install thread detailing my Energy Management journey. Both UDI and Brultech have been a pleasure to deal with and their endless development has been the difference of making my dreams a reality, from a pipe dream.

There are many other products that appear on the surface to do the same HA / Energy Monitoring. But after ten years of reviewing some of them its like comparing a Chevette to Corvette! :mrgreen: Both product offerings are Corvette class and others are simply running to catch up.

Your direct feed back and support in the Brultech GEM to UDI will help me and those that follow in the continued development of this product. Please do let me know if you need any help or insight and its safe to say UDI and Brultech will be there too!

WE ARE SO VERY CLOSE
:mrgreen:

Teken . . .

[

I would appreciate it very much if you make your presence known in the Brultech sub forum in this site. As with anything priorities are ranked in terms of how many people want this feature vs ROI to the vendor(s).

Teken,

What a great, incredibly helpful post - thank you!

I am happy to go to the Brultech sub forum and add my support. This seems like a great addition to the ISY and certainly one I hope to see advanced.

The greatest challenges I have in getting it done are time and a growing list of home improvement projects. I'm done with purchasing older homes, after what seems like a lifetime of doing so.

I'm sure there will be many additional questions as I manage to slowly progress my system, though. Thank you in advance for the help I'm sure you will provide, and which I will appreciate.

Joe

[

Teken,

What a great, incredibly helpful post - thank you!

I am happy to go to the Brultech sub forum and add my support. This seems like a great addition to the ISY and certainly one I hope to see advanced.

The greatest challenges I have in getting it done are time and a growing list of home improvement projects. I'm done with purchasing older homes, after what seems like a lifetime of doing so.

I'm sure there will be many additional questions as I manage to slowly progress my system, though. Thank you in advance for the help I'm sure you will provide, and which I will appreciate.

Joe

Joe,

Hope the New Year gives you more time to enjoy some of these hobbies. Rest assured UDI / Brultech will be there to support any question you may have. I also wanted to clarify for you that a lot of bugs and features have been implemented since that thread was started. I did not remove the older postings as many users wanted to see and follow the history along with the development of the two products.

A time line if you will.

During the course of the new year I will be adding in some new elements that relate to the project and how they integrate into the whole *System*.

Teken . . .

Archived