Venstar T6800 new API with ISY?

ferdies

Latest Development from Venstar Support.

Tried python the support rep sent and it worked. Schedule must be OFF

import urllib

url = 'http://192.168.0.126/control'

params = urllib.urlencode({

'mode': 3,

'fan': 0,

'heattemp': 70,

'cooltemp': 78

})

data = urllib.urlopen(url, params).read()

print data

However, ISY Networking Module is still not working. As an interim, I would like to call python from ISY Networking Module. Do you have any idea on how to call a python from ISY?

Hi ferdies, thanks SO very much for the feedback.

I bet you that you do not even need EncodeURL because there's absolutely nothing in (/control) that can be encoded.

With kind regards,

Michel

You're welcome, Michel. Actually, you are right. I unticked EncodeURL and it is still working but will have it ticked just to be sure. I think the key here is thermostat's SCHEDULE is OFF.

• 2 months later...

Michel/UDI team:

Understand you're fully consumed with zwave at moment. My wife and interior decorator have Been pleading with me to replace current venstar with adapter (don't want to type how they describe them) Any chance this could become supported via API thus enabling MobiLinc direct control. I'm gonna contact io_ guy and see what can be done on temp basis. Since smarthome brought out branded tstat it's been obvious no promised adapter was ever going to happen. This API appears to be venstars answer.

I've contacted Venstar about getting a test unit.

If they'll supply, I'll write a Link program.

As we wait to see Venstar's response on test unit.... Based on the REST API protocol, should I be able to use DevLink's (on temp basis) generic parser to obtain and set variables in ISY on a polled basis. I'd send settings like setpoints and mode from Network resources as described above.

One other point, does it look like the new API and the cloud service could coexist or are they mutually exclusive?

I hope this is not inappropriate and I'll delete if it is....

I'm working with io_guy to get a VenLink or modified DevLink to support all of us that want to use this excellent thermostat. If Venstar does not provide a test unit for his use, I plan to donate half the price for his efforts and wanted to see if others would like to chip in. DSCLink and GCLink are a big part of my ISY environment and I appreciate his efforts to support these third party devices. As a Cross link, other details are at: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=14272

FWIW following is edited email chain about supporting new API and Skyport Cloud at same time:

To: thermostatsupp.

I'm very interested in using the T5900/T6900 thermostat in my home automation system (would replace T1800? with Insteon adapter). My question is can the new firmware provided API and the Skyport Cloud services exist at same time. I'd use the REST interface from an UDI ISY to control setting and obtain current variables based on living events. However, I want access to the great graphical interface from iOS and PC devices that your Skyport Cloud system provides.

Regards,

hart2Hart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

to Hart2Hart

Hi Paul,

Yes, as of the latest firmware version you can use both the local API and the skyport service at the same time. I am not familiar with the UDI ISY system but I’m assuming there needs to be some work done on their end to make it mesh with our calls. The HTTP calls are pretty straightforward and the local API will have support for calls documented at http://developer.venstar.com/.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm willing to front half of the cost of a T5x00/6x000 for development purposes as long as I clearly understand what the expected outcomes are and expected shortcomings. I realize not all things can be committed upfront but just expect a gentlemen's understanding.

I'm not happy with my Zwave tstat much more than my Insteon one. I'm currently polling it regularly to keep things in sync, and I'd rather have the pretty Venstar T6900 and poll it regularly over the IP network rather than over Zwave.

Good news.

Venstar have gotten back to me and are shipping me a development unit.

Once I get it I should have "VenLink" up and running within a couple days.

I'll provide access to all items within the API - VenLink will set each of the values as variables within the ISY.

All control commands to the Venstar can be sent directly from the ISY, but I'll also include a more user-friendly way through VenLink.

Archived