Sense

JSchumann

I want a device that will sense when a light (has 3 way switches) is on or off and send a signal (controller). Would the micro on/off module do that? Can I hook one of the sense wires to the light (no connection to load terminals) to get the desired effect?

Or am I doomed to put two insteon switches in my 3-way circuit?

Regards,

John

While I have not yet used one, it is my understanding that this is within the capability of a micro module.

If the light is a plug-in device, a syncrolinc does this, and most lamplincs have local sense capability.

Regarding insteon switches on a three-way....it is either all or nothing with insteon. You cannot mix and match insteon and standard switches. I am unsure if this was your intention, but wanted to be sure that this was clear. If, however, your intention is to power the fixture from the load wire of the micromodule, perhaps you could get away with one insteon switch and one mechanical switch (another example of something I have not tried).

Any idea how to wire it ....need line and load then sense to the hot for the light?

I know only what I can read from the manual, but it seems to me you would use the "latching" mode. Hot and neutral to the module, switched hot (from the three-way switches) to the sense, and fixture hot to the module "load" wire.

Are you familiar with three-way wiring? There are several variations, but be aware that this will likely be easiest for you if power is introduced at the fixture. If you have a configuration where power is introduced at one of the switches, you may not have enough conductors to make this work without additional cabling.

If this is the case, you may want to consider putting the micromodule in the switch box that feeds the fixture.

Archived