Using LED bulbs with Switchlincs?????

mrxmas

Hi I have 3 different Switchlincs (2476) and 1 Keypadlinc and recently purchased Led Par 16 bulbs to replace halogen bulbs. I had to change the ramp rates back to 0 because the would flash and not come on properly. However on of the of the group of lights still want to flash. Does anyone else have LED's? Not sure if there is a minimum voltage for the Swithchlincs? Or if the new version 2477 Dual Band Switchlinc are more compatible with LED bulbs? Any advice that can be given would be much appreciated.

Did you verify the LED Bulbs where rated to be used on a dimmer type switch? Not all of them are.

If the LED bulbs where not rated for a dimmer. That could be the problem.

I know other users have LED bulbs rated to be on a dimmer. Working with Insteon Switchlinc Dimmers and LampLincs.

I've replaced my incandescents and halogen lights with 2700K LED's (mostly from bulbs.com). They dim nicely to +/-10% and do not flicker. I am using Insteon switches no older than two years with an ISY994 ir/pro.

FLOOD: 85 Watt Incandescent Equivalent, 12 Watt, 120 Volt DIMMABLE 25,000-Hr 2700K Warm White LED BR30 Bulb - LED12BR30D27K (TCP)

LAMPS: 100 Watt Incandescent Equivalent, 19 Watt, 120 Volt Dimmable LED A-21 Lamp - 19A21/2700-WHT DIM (Philips)

ENCLOSED FIXTURES: 60 Watt Incandescent Equivalent, 10 Watt, 120 Volt Dimmable Frosted LED A-19 Lamp - Infinia 60 (Switch).

There is really no substitute for a warm incandescent. These are close when at full strength. When they are dimmed, they are somewhat "whiter" than incandescents. It takes a little getting used to. White oak floors and cabinets do not look as rich. However, these bulbs do not run hot and there is a substantial savings when using a fraction of the wattage that incandescents use.

Bottom line is that I am pleased with the change.

I will be testing a 3-way within a week or so. Just finished the test. The "Switch" bulbs seem to work well with most lamps.

I have found that some combination of dimmable LED bulbs and dimmers don't play well together.

You may want to test a different LED bulb and see if it worked better.

Many LED bulb manufacturers will have a list of tested dimmers for their bulbs. Though almost never are any automation devices tested.

Off hand do you have the model and manufacturer of the LED Bulbs in question?

I have tested some brands of dimmable LED bulbs with real old 2476D Switchlinc Dimmers. Most worked fine. Some pulsed at 100% or one dim level below 100%.

Hi I have 3 different Switchlincs (2476) and 1 Keypadlinc and recently purchased Led Par 16 bulbs to replace halogen bulbs. I had to change the ramp rates back to 0 because the would flash and not come on properly. However on of the of the group of lights still want to flash. Does anyone else have LED's? Not sure if there is a minimum voltage for the Swithchlincs? Or if the new version 2477 Dual Band Switchlinc are more compatible with LED bulbs? Any advice that can be given would be much appreciated.

I use X10 motion sensors and the first thing I do on motion is to hit the LampLinc modules with a FastON command in the ISY. That overrides the slow ramp ON. I cannot stand having a bulb slow ramp up in the trigger programme when motion is detected in a completely dark room. I love the slow ramp OFF, though.

I have a Sunbeam 7W, 3000K, LED bulb (from Costco) on a LampLinc dimmer plug-in and it ramps up and down quite smoothly. There may be a bit of a jump from 0% to very dim when starting but no flickering at all. From what I have seen and read the cheaper and early designed LED bulbs have more problems with it.

I have no wall mounted devices yet.

Thanks All. To Brian, we purchased Par 16 LED bulbs (TCP is the brand) from 1000bulbs.com. To Haroldunger, I believe that my 2476's are probably older than 2 years old. The set of lights that are experiencing the most problems has a Switchlinc and a Keypadlinc. I am using a 994i pro isy for my system. I have 2 other sets of can lights with Switchlincs that seem to be working ok as long as I adjust the ramp rate back to 0.

Thanks again for all the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived