New Zwave ZSMOKE and ZCOMBO (smoke+CO) detectors and ISY

mink

First Alert is selling through Lowes two Zwave smoke detectors: (Lowes calls Zwave IRIS) ZSMOKE for smoke and ZCOMBO (smoke+CO) detectors. Anyone using these with the ISY994i? My research indicates these are fully zwave compliant and should work.

I have a Honeywell Tuxwifi Keypad as a Primary Zwave linked to a Honeywell zwave thermostat and my Vista20p Panel. The Tuxwifi adjusts the thermostat based on the alarm state. I have the Zwave module for the Isy994i with and external antenna but have yet to try and integrate them. I assume too that adding several of these would improve the zwave mesh.

Concerning the TUXwifi and the ISY994i playing nicley, any recommendations, gotchas etc about which should be the primary controller and which should be the secondary? The ISY has far more scenes available, so does than mean it should be the primary since the The Tuxwifi only has 8? Or can I leave the Tuxwifi controlling the thermostat mostly, and do some additional setting from the ISY? I have the TUXwifi set up so I can use it to control the alarm panel and thermostat via my Android phone both from inside my house, and from away. The TUXwifi has a great display and can show and send camera shots, but I haven't messed with that yet. I do like the TUXwifi adjusting the house temp based on alarm state since that would work even if the ISY dropped offline.

I need to replace some stand alone smoke detectors that have aged out. Adding some ZSMOKEs and/or ZCOMBOS detectors would allow me to replace the old detectors and integrate all my smoke detection into the home control. I'm still using the Honeywell Total Connect service for text status reports, but could drop that once I've integrated everything into the ISY. The ZSMOKE and ZCOMBO are quite reasonable in price, especially since no insteon bridge would be needed and they are much cheaper than the Onelink units which would need the bridge.

Thanks for any help.

If no one comments I may just give one a go figuring the UDI folks will get them working shortly anyway. :mrgreen:

Wow. This looks awesome!

Just started messing with a smokelinc, but not liking the limitations (not supervised, not zoned) its making me nervous.

Count me as another one interested in support for this on ISY.

I only hope they come up with a 110v operated version as well.

I saw that, but I need smoke/co wired combos

Yeah, unfortunately no such beast exists at the moment. :( Is there any reason you can't install the 120 VAC hardwired one link smoke unit and augment it with the wireless battery operated smoke / co units?

Teken . . .

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I purchased a couple of these and paired with my isy994zw using z wave.  almost immediately I get 'failed communicating with' errors.  How do I get those to go away or what should I be expecting?  

also not understanding how to use the different connections (not sure term): smoke alarm, malfunction alarm, test alarm, low battery, heartbeat, CO alarm, end of life alarm   

I was expecting that each of these would have a state or status that I could incorporate into some scene or program logic.  

Thanks for your help

I purchased a couple of these and paired with my isy994zw using z wave. almost immediately I get 'failed communicating with' errors. How do I get those to go away or what should I be expecting?

also not understanding how to use the different connections (not sure term): smoke alarm, malfunction alarm, test alarm, low battery, heartbeat, CO alarm, end of life alarm

I was expecting that each of these would have a state or status that I could incorporate into some scene or program logic.

Thanks for your help

UDI will need to chime in and confirm support for this device.

Create a ticket so this can be tracked officially for you. The five nodes you indicated work fine for the One Link version I have. I have them included into various programs and alerts for each node.

Yours are different than mine though. I am sure once formal support is underway it will operate just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi breischaft,

This device should work. Try excluding and then including it again. If this is the only Z-Wave device you have then it might be range related otherwise try healing the network.

You can use those nodes in programs and then do things based on their status such as turning lights on and off, email/sms notifications, etc.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the responses.  

The two smoke detectors both connected easily.  They are both physically only a couple feet away from the ISY - I wanted to make sure all is working properly before I install and buy more.  

I try to do a network heal and watch the event viewer.  Each node is updated for neighbors twice and fails all times. similarly if I sync nodes, there is a "can't get info" error from each.  If I right click on one of them in the device list and then query, I get a communication error and all five nodes for the detector go to exclamation points.  

If I look at the test alarm node, it shows a status of off.  when I press the test button on the smoke detector, status on admin console changes to on.  but if I immediately query, no communication.

These are my first z-wave devices, also first battery-only devices.  feels like there's a connection, but then devices "sleep" and do not respond to queries.  I was hoping to use several of these to help form the backbone of z-wave mesh network throughout house.

are these working as you would expect and I'm missing something?

FYI - I did exclude and then add one of them. behavior is still the same. it looked like the exclude and include processes worked properly.

Sounds like you need a active repeater to make the Z-Wave Mesh fully connected. This is no different than Insteon.

There had to be something to bridge the devices together and allow the signal to propagate threw the home.

One would think this whole Z-Wave wireless tech would see all devices and not require more gear in the middle. But based on reading here and other forums this is typical of the system.

I would pick up one of those Z-Wave sticks and try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi breischaft,

Thank you. Teken is correct:

Battery operated devices go to sleep and you cannot communicate with them unless they support beaming (some don't) and you have a device or range extender that supports beaming. If all your devices are battery operated i strongly recommend a Z-Wave range extender.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 1 month later...

I just purchased First Alert ZCOMBO and added it to my network.  Am using Aeotech siren (gen 5) as "repeater" - both appear to support beaming.

I have included, excluded, then included again.

I do see the various elements in ISY as follows:

ZW 006 CO Alarm

ZW 006 CO End of Life Alarm

ZW 006 Heart beat

ZW 006 Low Battery

ZW 006 Malfunction Alarm

ZW 006 Smoke Alarm

ZW 006 Test Alarm

But the only info I get is battery status on the  "ZW 006 Smoke Alarm" line

Is that the only parameter I get?  So does that mean I can't send alerts via text or email based on status changes?

Thanks for any help!  If I can't get this one to work I will be ceasing my (costly) z-wave experimentation.

I am taking a random stab this is related to multi node support which is pending the beta 5.XX release.

If it's not that then the device obviously needs Z-Wave support which I am sure UDI will add when time permits. I suggest you create a formal ticket so it's tracked and they can give you an ETA if it's pending 5.XX release.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

I have just recently started using the ISY w/ Z-Wave.  I bought one of the ZCombos to see if I could get it working.  It synced with the system fine.  I was able to send test signals to my phone and received a heart beat from it about every 12 hours.  The only thing I had trouble with is getting it to send a smoke alarm.  I used a can of smoke and could get the alarm to go off but nothing changed on the ISY.  I remembered that it could some times take 24 hours (not sure why) for my Insteon devices to start working after install.  So I waited 24 hours and now it works like a champ.  I'll be going out today to replace the rest of them in my house.

I have just recently started using the ISY w/ Z-Wave.  I bought one of the ZCombos to see if I could get it working.  It synced with the system fine.  I was able to send test signals to my phone and received a heart beat from it about every 12 hours.  The only thing I had trouble with is getting it to send a smoke alarm.  I used a can of smoke and could get the alarm to go off but nothing changed on the ISY.  I remembered that it could some times take 24 hours (not sure why) for my Insteon devices to start working after install.  So I waited 24 hours and now it works like a champ.  I'll be going out today to replace the rest of them in my house.

Can you elaborate on the section high lighted in red a little bit more?? 

Archived