Program that uses iolinc and temperature sensor

hart2hart

I've got one of the IOLinc combinations with the Temperature sensors. I've configured it to let me know if attic temp gets low since we have fire sprinkler system and contractor did not insulate pipes well enough for recent low temps -- several neighbors have had burst pipes. At this point, I manually raise the heat setpoint setting for upstairs HVAC unit (keeps attic about 36 degrees) but will eventually make that part of program. (will add insulation when a licensed sprinkler contractor has time)

Problem is I never seem to get beyond the fact that once ISY programs start that they will terminate based events impacting their If section. In this case, the temperature sensor bounces back and forth as it reaches trigger point so lots of text messages are generated which lead me to the following that I know will not work. Of course, at first bounce it re-evaluates and the program stays disabled forever. I know what is needed and is represented in program below but how do I do this with ISY logic. Certain it means creating multiple programs but too cold to reason it out today. Help :-) BTW there is an almost identical program for the temperature rising above freeze point.

If

Control 'Attic / Attic:Temperature Sensor' is switched On

Then

Send Notification to 'JPaulText' content 'Attic Temperature Below Freeze Warning'

Disable Program 'Attic:Temperature Below Freeze Warning'

Wait 30 minutes

Enable Program 'Attic:Temperature Below Freeze Warning'

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Else

From others input, I made trigger programs and action programs. So it would be like this.

If

Control 'Attic / Attic:Temperature Sensor' is switched On

Then

Send Notification to 'JPaulText' content 'Attic Temperature Below Freeze Warning'

activate attic below freezing program then statement

Else

Program = attic below freezing

If = nothing

Then

Disable Program 'Attic:Temperature Below Freeze Warning'

Wait 30 minutes

Enable Program 'Attic:Temperature Below Freeze Warning'

Else = nothing.

Then it will run 30 minutes even if the trigger program is no longer active.

After thinking about what I want to accomplish in longer term -- would following be simpler and better?

FREEZING

if sensor is switched on

Wait 10 -30 minutes ( will experiment to see how long it takes mechanical temp device to settle)

Send notification

Set thermostat to desired higher temp

set variable that locks out changes to thermostats to locked state

ABOVE FREEZING

if sensor is switched off

Wait 10 -30 minutes

Send notification

set variable that locks out changes to thermostats to unlocked state

run a program that sets temp based on time of day etc (same on that runs at reboot)

After thinking about what I want to accomplish in longer term -- would following be simpler and better?

FREEZING
if sensor is switched on
  Wait 10 -30 minutes ( will experiment to see how long it takes mechanical temp device to settle)
   Send notification
   Set thermostat to desired higher temp
   set variable that locks out changes to thermostats to locked state

ABOVE FREEZING
if sensor is switched off
  Wait 10 -30 minutes
   Send notification
    set variable that locks out changes to thermostats to unlocked state
    run a program that sets temp based on time of day etc (same on that runs at reboot)

I believe these will work fine for you. They will keep restarting the timer if the temp is not stable, and when it is stable for 10-30 min then they will execute / notify / adjust the temps for you.

This being an improvement over the notification from your OP where it was before the timer.

In this scenario, I like the first solution better. Low temp detected, adjust the Stat, notify and then delay further action. The goal is to prevent the pipes from freezing. The second solution waits for however long it takes for the sensor bounce to stop + 30 minutes + however long it takes for the attic temp to recover from the increased heating. I think it would be best to act first then wait. Just my personal preference.

-Xathros

The whole thing sounds dangerous to me. No matter how much insulation you use on pipes there is usually a scenario where the pipes may still freeze if you do not keep water flowing through them.

There are pipe heating straps made for this but then you need some power in the attic too.

Here in New England, sprinkler systems are air pressurized with a foot valve that opens when the air pressure in the system drops. This way, exposed pipes normally have no water in them until a head pops and lets the air pressure drop. I'm not sure what the standards/codes call for in other areas but a system that could be subject to freezing doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

-Xathros

Just in case anyone researching... Following is simpler and better solution -- example of when tempeatrure rises above freezing point.

If

Control 'Attic / Attic:Temperature Sensor' is switched Off

And Control 'Attic / Attic:Temperature Sensor' is not switched On

Then

Wait 10 minutes

Send Notification to 'JPaulText' content 'Attic Temperature Above Freeze Dectected'

Else

Add lines

set thermostat out of override mode

run program to set temp based on time of day same as at boot time

Archived