Question: Options for an Insteon Controller/Hub

bassett

Greetings. I am new to the home automation world. I have decided to go with Insteon. What I am uncertain about is whether I should use the standard hub or the ISY994. I am computer savvy. An overview of my planned set up for a vacation home (small cottage):

Items to be installed: 5 light switches (one will be a 3-way setup); 2 on/off modules; 2 light bulbs; 2 lamp modules; and 3 motion sensors.

My goal in adding Insteon is simply to be able to control the lights remotely 250 miles away, to set schedules for on/off throughout the night, and to turn on certain items (like a basement dehumidifier). I'd also like for the lights to go on when motion is detected and to get a SMS/email alert. I already have Foscam 8910 cameras installed: 3 outside, 2 inside. Additionally, it has an older ADT type security alarm system that is not connected to a central service. I do have the alarm activated (internal siren sounds).

Given what appears to be a rather simple setup, will the standard hub serve my needs? Or, would you recommend the ISY994. Cost is not a factor. Thanks for your input.

The hub is really a very basic device and is rather limited.

If cost is not a factor, and you want full featured programmability and the capability to interface to other things like your cameras and such, then in my opinion, the ISY-994 is the way to go. Given a small install, you likely don't need to Pro module and can pick up the network module at a later date if/when you decide to integrate with external systems.

-Xathros

Given a small install, you likely don't need to Pro module and can pick up the network module at a later date if/when you decide to integrate with external systems.

-Xathros

I will just add that the Pro module is also something you can add later if you need to.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Archived