Text Messaging needs service over Internet

I finally got around to experimenting with notifications from my ISY. After solving a long term problem with text messaging and a call to my provider and about five different support persons, that mostly had no clue what I was even talking about, I finally got the blocks turned off in my BB phone. :) Funny thing is I have been getting text messages from various people for years but never send them myself.

Awesome feature! Having done some test texts from the ISY successfully I realise I need to not have my mobile provider transmitter on when in foreign countries, especially Mexico. To test this I turn off my radio off and leave the Wi-Fi on, to test. No text messages! :evil:

Realising what is happening my mobile provider only converts these eMails to text messages and sends them over their own cell service, and not the Internet. Wi-Fi isn't going to work for text messaging from ISY with them.

My question is: Are there (free) services that will convert eMails (since the ISY cannot seem to actually send SMS) to text messages and send them out to my cell phone in Canada via Internet t Wi-Fi?

Also, am I misreading this whole thing and missing something here?

Check this list Email To SMS Email Address List for your provider. I send emails that the phone receives as sms/texts to my phone all the time.

Thanks for the link. However, the 5-6 providers I tried cannot perform this function.

It would seem text messages are confined to cell phone services over cell radio systems only, something I never realised before as a user of mostly BBM that can function using either network.

Hi Larry-

If you BB can do Google Talk IM, then have a look at: https://emailtogtalk.appspot.com/

This is an email to IM gateway. Should do what you want. If no GoogleTalk, what other IM services might your BB support? (Aim, Yahoo Messenger?)

-Xathros

Hi Larry-

If you BB can do Google Talk IM, then have a look at: https://emailtogtalk.appspot.com/

This is an email to IM gateway. Should do what you want. If no GoogleTalk, what other IM services might your BB support? (Aim, Yahoo Messenger?)

-Xathros

Thanks but they all require BB data services (which I haven't subscribed to) and that requires Cell provider access and not available via Internet access as far as I can tell. The intro screens all state they don't like me. :cry:

I have never had a BB device. No idea why the device would even have WiFi if all data services are limited to the cellular connection. On my iPhone, SMS/MMS require cellular. iMessage, GTalk, XMPP, Aim, YM, MSN, Email etc will work over either WiFi or Cellular if no WiFi. I know the Android devices function in a similar fashion. I have heard that BB is on life support. Maybe this won't be an issue for much longer.

Also, instead of SMS/MMS for anything critical I have been using Prowl push notifications. These have proven to be much more reliable and deliver within seconds. This is what they look like:

-Xathros

post-1437-140474162733_thumb.jpg

post-1437-140474162734_thumb.jpg

I have never had a BB device. No idea why the device would even have WiFi if all data services are limited to the cellular connection. On my iPhone, SMS/MMS require cellular. iMessage, GTalk, XMPP, Aim, YM, MSN, Email etc will work over either WiFi or Cellular if no WiFi. I know the Android devices function in a similar fashion. I have heard that BB is on life support. Maybe this won't be an issue for much longer.

Also, instead of SMS/MMS for anything critical I have been using Prowl push notifications. These have proven to be much more reliable and deliver within seconds. This is what they look like:

-Xathros

Nice stuff!!

I have full data access via Wi-Fi, just not over my cellular account but much BB data is specially compressed and/or encrypted, so it has to come via the BB servers, somehow. Since I have no BB data in my account, I cannot use their email client, or as I am finding out other social apps that all seem to require cellular service. As far as I can figure out all text messaging has to come over cellular except BBM. This may be a Canada thing or just a Canadian provider thing. I'll have to check with other family to see if they can receive SMS on their LG, Sony and iPhones with their cellular service turned off.

If it wasn't for the BBM system I wouldn't have a BB. The VOIP, shared lists, calendars, photos and other data make it worth while, even without a cellular accounts in other countries. Regular text messaging sucks as so primitive and I avoid it unless my provider sends me a bill-ready SMS. The BB is still the choice for most business people here but s(t)inking badly.

"Texts" or more properly SMS is sent over cellular services only.

The ISY doesn't actually send text messages - it's sending emails. The ISY utilizes a service all major carriers provide whereby you can send an email to the carrier to their phone number and they convert it to a text message to the subscriber. xxxyyyzzzz@carrier-specific-domain.com As it is converted to a text in the carrier's gateway, the recipient must have cellular services active and SMS enabled for their plan.

There are SMS gateway services where you can send emails to them and they'll convert them to text messages and vice versa. These are usually for a fee. There might be a free one but I haven't heard of one. However, you have no need for them since the ISY isn't sending texts to begin with and you don't want cellular services on.

Sounds like you don't want data services OR cellular services on. So you don't want text messages which are only delivered over the cellular network. Since BBM is a closed private network that's not an option for you.

Seems the simplest way for you to get notifications is email. The BlackBerry devices support IMAP which is the industry standard email protocol available from almost every major email provider such as Google Gmail. Simply get an internet email account from a provider that supports IMAP and setup the email on your BlackBerry and make sure the device is configured to alert you when new emails arrive. If you have an email account that is used only for ISY alerts then you don't have to worry about getting alerted every time a new piece of spam arrives.

instead of SMS/MMS for anything critical I have been using Prowl push notifications. These have proven to be much more reliable and deliver within seconds.

After reading this I downloaded Prowl to give it a try. It works GREAT - Thanks!

~Mike

No Problem. Always happy to help.

How are you communicating with Prowl? Email or direct using the API Key with a network resource? If via email, you can do much more with the network resources like add a URL to the notification. I use that on some of mine to link to the mjpeg image feed of some of my cameras. If you look at the screenshots I posted above, the ones with the blue > have a URL embedded in them. Ypu can also specify a priority (-2 through 2) which allows 5 different notification sounds at the iPhone and the ability to suppress all but the highest priority during Do Not Disturb hours.

-Xathros

If via email, you can do much more with the network resources like add a URL to the notification. I use that on some of mine to link to the mjpeg image feed of some of my cameras. If you look at the screenshots I posted above, the ones with the blue > have a URL embedded in them.

-Xathros

Neat tip. Maybe I'll checkout Prowl.

No Problem. Always happy to help.

How are you communicating with Prowl? Email or direct using the API Key with a network resource? If via email, you can do much more with the network resources like add a URL to the notification. I use that on some of mine to link to the mjpeg image feed of some of my cameras. If you look at the screenshots I posted above, the ones with the blue > have a URL embedded in them. Ypu can also specify a priority (-2 through 2) which allows 5 different notification sounds at the iPhone and the ability to suppress all but the highest priority during Do Not Disturb hours.

-Xathros

I just purchased the Network Module and also upgraded my ISY to Pro. Now I have to dive into the inner workings of the Network Module to get Prowl working directly. :D

~Mike

• 1 month later...
Check out the wiki page I put together a while ago. Hopefully should have most of what you need.

Michael

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index ... tification

Ok, I have plugged away at trying to get this working and it has to be something simple but beyond me! I have Prowl up and running using email notification and wish to use the Network Module I purchased to notify me direct. I built the Network Resource notification using the wiki instructions. The first time I tested I got the attached image.

If I run the test again, and every time after, I just get the message "TCP client request failed"

My error log shows these entries after reboot and running a test:

Tue 2014/03/18 11:52:58 AM System -5 Start

Tue 2014/03/18 11:52:59 AM System -110022 /CONF/INSTENG.OPT

Tue 2014/03/18 11:52:59 AM System -110012 /CONF/INSTENG.OPT

Tue 2014/03/18 11:53:03 AM System -170001 [Network] Established

Tue 2014/03/18 11:53:14 AM System -170001 [TCP-Conn] -1/-140002, Portal

Tue 2014/03/18 11:54:25 AM System -140008 Net Module Rule: 1:401

Here is my Network Resource screen (with fake apikey)

Any ideas on what could be my issue?

Thanks,

~Mike

post-4626-140474163237_thumb.png

post-4626-14047416324_thumb.png

Mine are the same but with Encode URL checked and a timeout of 8000ms and they work just fine.

Also, no hashtags enclosing the apikey. Not sure if that was part of your call or just you editing out the actual key.

-Xathros

Archived