Picking a Kwikset Lock

jmed999

Right, but the zwave Kwikset locks are also "smart" so the key could be changed anytime. I actually used that feature on my zwave Kwikset lock so I didn't have to change keys.

So the method in the video would open our locks as well.

Ah.. I don't have one so didn't realize that. It is overly simple to defeat and hopefully Kwikset modifies future versions.

I'm of the opinion that anyone providing wireless access to their door lock to everyone cruising by their house doesn't consider security important.

Lock are to keep out the honest people only.

No. Locks are to keep out lazy and unskilled thieves, which is a large percentage. The ability to pick locks is very limited that's why locks have some level of effectiveness. They force most burglars to break a window or door which is even easier but draws attention to their efforts.

Lock are to keep out the honest people only.

No. Locks are to keep out lazy and unskilled thieves, which is a large percentage. The ability to pick locks is very limited that's why locks have some level of effectiveness. They force most burglars to break a window or door which is even easier but draws attention to their efforts.

I guess this is where I have to disagree. For starters, if you click the link in the first post (I'm guessing you haven't) there is NO picking going on. It doesn't get any lazier or more unskilled than that entry method that was used.

Search the videos where the Smartkey locks are forced by using a cut off key and a screwdriver with a pair of vise Grips. You can spin the lock to unlock and spin it back with almost no visible signs that the door was forced.

I guess this is where I have to disagree. For starters, if you click the link in the first post (I'm guessing you haven't) there is NO picking going on. It doesn't get any lazier or more unskilled than that entry method that was used.

Obviously I did based on my responses of "It's very simple to defeat and hopefully Kwikset modifies future versions."

Goodbye, troll.

Obviously I did based on my responses of "It's very simple to defeat and hopefully Kwikset modifies future versions."

Goodbye, troll.

Sorry if I hurt your little feelings....just trying to clarify some facts so that people know what picking and forcing are as they are not the same. Troll, how original!

This is clearly a very unskilled way to "pick" a lock. I put "pick" in quotes since it is actually forced entry. They aren't actually picking the lock but rather forcing the mechanism.

To me, the worrisome point is that you can't see external evidence of forced entry and apparently even if you go to use it with the correct key you can't tell.

But just be aware, any lock you might use on your house can be defeated pretty easily and not leave any sign of tampering by someone with limited access to tools and a few hours practice.

I can tell you that virtually any lock with the standard pin/tumbler can be picked (picked not forced) quite easily. When I was in college I was always taking things apart and screwing around. Somehow I got onto locks. I made my own lock pick set out of a stainless steel spatula (chemistry lab) and a grinding wheel, and after a few hours practice I could pick any lock I was presented with in a couple minutes. Cheap locks I could pick in a few seconds since they had fewer pins and more slop in the mechanism, but even commercial style heavy duty locks never took me more than 5 minutes. Now I didn't run around picking every possible lock, so I am sure there are some I would have failed at, but again, I had a home made pick and no formal training and was shockingly successful. I did not go onto a career in the field of locksmithing or cat burglar, however.

Archived