Replaced PLM, Odd Behaviour

mbro

My PLM died, and I replaced it (2413S v1.8). Now I have 3 ApplianceLincs that the ISY99 cannot communicate with, although I can switch them manually. I have one ApplianceLinc that I can query, but it ignores set requests with no error message. Finally, I can control my Venstar thermostat, but to get the current info I have to manually query it. I'm using software v3.3.10. I have 2 access points. Nothing has changed except the PLM, which was v1.6. Any suggestions?

mbro-

Try using this URL: http://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/4.1.2

And/Or:

Add ISY-99 to exception list with Java 1.7.51+

With the advent of Java 1.7.51 and up, Java applets are now required to contain a manifest file. Those that don’t are now not allowed to run unless you make a security exception for the applet. UDI has released newer firmware (4.1.2) that includes a manifest file and meets the new requirements. The ISY-99 series is not receiving firmware updates after firmware 3.3.10 as it has run out of room for the larger code in the newer firmwares. If you have decided not to upgrade to the ISY-994 series controllers, you will need to work around the new Java requirements and add an exception for your ISY-99i. Here is how to make that exception.

MAC:

Open System Preferences and double click the Java icon.

In the Java preferences, click the security tab.

Click “Edit Site Listâ€

Click “Add†and enter the URL for your ISY.

Acknowledge the warning that this poses a security risk by clicking “Continueâ€

Click “OK†then “OK†and close the Java preferences window.

Windows:

Open the Windows Control Panel

Double click the Java control panel applet.

Click the Security tab

Click the “Edit Site List…†button.

Click the “Add†button and enter the URL for your ISY-99i series controller.

Click “OK†and close the Windows Control Panelâ€

This should get you back up and running until you can upgrade to an ISY-994 and the newer firmware.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

There is no "Edit Site List" button in the Java control panel (Windows 7) Security tab (or elsewhere). There is a "Manage Certificates" button.

After re-booting the PC and ISY99, I was able to get past the security prompts. I did a "Restore PLM", and got errors on the same ApplianceLincs. It seems odd that they respond to their set buttons, but not to the PLM.

I power-cycled the ISY99 (several times) after switching the PLM. Is that the same as rebooting?

Yes.

My control panel is missing the Exception Site List area.

---Mike

Go to the update tab in your Java control panel and make sure you are up to date (1.7-51). If not, update then go add the exception.

-Xathros

I manually got the latest Java, added the ISY URL to the exceptions list, but still get the warning. It's not that important, as I mainly use the programs I wrote for android, ios, and windows that use the REST interface.

When I choose diagnostics->device links on the modules that are failing, that fails as well. Some of the modules are intermittently good. I've plugged them in near the PLM for testing.

Unrelated to the original post, but the thread subject line is perfect, so I'll piggyback on here to avoid yet more threads to pore over.

I have a bad history with PLM's. My original (2412S) lasted several years, but now I'm on my second 2413S in maybe six months. I replaced it about a week ago and all went well except a mysterious lock-up after a day or two. This is the problem I'd been having which led to the series of new PLM's. My rather inelegant solution to this is to put the PLM on an ancient X10 Appliance Module so I can reboot it from anywhere using the X10 telephone controller. Far from satisfactory, but I've about given up on figuring out why they lock up.

This morning, naturally ten hours before I leave for a one month trip, a new wrinkle appeared: The PLM-ISY99 interface seems operational: My timed programs run fine and I can control modules through the Admin Console, but the triggered programs (triggers are both wireless, e.g., TriggerLinc, and wired, e.g., EZIO8SA) are not being run. Furthermore, the Current State does not update automatically, but it will when I query the modules.

The only change I've made to the setup was to move the PLM to a relay-controlled outlet instead of running it directly off the X10 module (which then controlled the relay), but things still worked afterwards... for six hours. I have now plugged the PLM right into the wall outlet with no better results, so I assume the X10 and relay possibilities were red herrings.

Thanks for any help!

Jim

ISY99iPRO

v.3.3.10

Java 1.7.45 (not updated)

Was not sure if the PLM outlet was changed which would introduce new questions about coverage.

Run Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Links Table followed by Count to see how many links are currently in the PLM. Be sure no Insteon traffic reaches the PLM during the Show execution as that will produce false high or low counts. When device state changes are not being received links in the PLM are in question as they are necessary to the PLM to receive device state change messages.

Direct device control does not use link records in the PLM. A zero count is a problem. A Restore Modem (PLM) is the corrective action. Be sure NOT to click Delete Modem (PLM) as that removes PLM information from the ISY making a Restore Modem (PLM) useless without going to an earlier ISY Backup.

You are awesome as usual! After a couple of tries the restore process began. It was a lot quicker than usual, and I didn't have to go re-link the wireless devices. I suppose that is because I was restoring the same PLM? All previous times I was replacing it with a new one and had to do the whole drill.

At any rate, things are happy again and I assume will stay so until a few minutes after I leave. Then it is my neighbor's problem!

Thanks,

Jim

Archived