Interference issues/erratic behavior - probably X10 related

The issues to date have been:

A) One of my sprinkler zones turning on by itself for no apparent reason

B) Pushing All units off on a x10 mini controller causes an Insteon device (which hasn’t had a X10 address assigned) to come ON – This is consistently repeatable

C) Turning on an insteon device downstairs causes and insteon device upstairs to come on (which does have an X10 address assigned) but they are not linked and never have been

My setup

I have been using Insteon for several years now and have replaced most of my X10.

I have some outside path lights using an old waterproof inline X10 switch

An X10 wall switch controlling some outside spots

An X10 controlled Rain8II sprinkler control unit (set to a different house code)

A bedside X10 mini controller

I have 31 Insteon devices at my last count

2456D3 x6

2476D x17

2476S x1

2486D x5

2856S3 x1

2876S x1

A couple of insteon devices have X10 codes assigned

I have an Elk M1G which is connected to the ISY using the M1EXP (not that I think that probably has any bearing)

Up until getting my ISY-99/IR Pro (which was only a couple of days ago) I didn’t have any issues. Not that I’m unhappy with the ISY-99, I’ve been very pleased so far but want to give as much information to help identify the problem.

The ISY-99 spent the first day running version 1.0 and then having read many messages on this forum I upgraded to v2.6.5. I didn’t notice the problems before that upgrading but that isn’t to say they weren’t there.

Any thoughts? The only X10 device that I would be reluctant to replace is the sprinkler system as that was added just before the Insteon versions were made available (just my luck)

It's a known issue that many Insteon devices inadvertently come with X10 codes from the factory left their from testing. I always make sure to factory reset each device before installation.

That wouldn't explain why problems started once you installed the ISY, but otherwise would make sense.

I would factory reset a couple of the problematic devices, then do a restore device to restore your Insteon links to it, and see if the problem reoccurs.

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response and advice.

Update on problem B: I did a factory reset on the 2476D unit and after the reset the X10 all units off command on the mini-controller did not cause the light to come on. However, after I did the "Restore Device" command the problem returned.

Maybe the restore also put the X10 Address back. If it was part of the switches information when learned originally.

I wondered that but I wasn't even sure that when you add a device that it captured the X10 addresses. Can someone confirm if that information is captured and is it written back in the case of a restore?

What is important to remember is that this device is going ON when an X10 All Units OFF command is issued and I've used that virtually every night for the past 2 years without any issues. The problem occurred the first evening of using it with the ISY99 in place.

Update on problem B

The current problems gave me the motivation to eliminate more X10 devices so I decided to replace the X10 mini controller on my bedside table with a ControLinc. I proceeded to add the ControLinc and create the scenes with the ISY99 (and what a joy that is with the ISY99). One of the scenes I created was mapping the 5th button on the controlinc to my electric kettle in the kitchen (via a 2856S3) for my morning cup of tea.

All was well with the new ControLinc and I removed the offending X10 mini controller from the bedroom and brought it downstairs. Just out of interest I plugged in the mini controller to makes sure the old problem was still repeatable and it was with one added twist, now not only did the previous Insteon 2476D come on but so did the kettle (the 2856S3 mentioned above).

The kettle was previously controlled by the mini controller with an X10 code intentionally set on the 2856S3 so I thought I would remove the X10 code the old fashion way. Now here is the interesting thing, after removing the X10 code the All units OFF on the mini controller no longer switched the kettle ON but it also stopped the other Insteon device coming ON that had never had an X10 code set and the one that I had factory reset earlier in the process trying to solve the problem.

So problem B is now solved.

bdlhome,

First of all, thanks for the update and secondly my apologies for a tardy reply.

Restore Device does NOT add X10 addresses back and, as such, my gut feeling says that the problem is with ELK setup mostly because ELK translates X10 addresses to ISY devices/scenes and vice versa. As such - and if you feel like it - would you be kind enough to simply remove ELK configuration from ISY and retry?

With kind regards,

Michel

Update on problem B

The current problems gave me the motivation to eliminate more X10 devices so I decided to replace the X10 mini controller on my bedside table with a ControLinc. I proceeded to add the ControLinc and create the scenes with the ISY99 (and what a joy that is with the ISY99). One of the scenes I created was mapping the 5th button on the controlinc to my electric kettle in the kitchen (via a 2856S3) for my morning cup of tea.

All was well with the new ControLinc and I removed the offending X10 mini controller from the bedroom and brought it downstairs. Just out of interest I plugged in the mini controller to makes sure the old problem was still repeatable and it was with one added twist, now not only did the previous Insteon 2476D come on but so did the kettle (the 2856S3 mentioned above).

The kettle was previously controlled by the mini controller with an X10 code intentionally set on the 2856S3 so I thought I would remove the X10 code the old fashion way. Now here is the interesting thing, after removing the X10 code the All units OFF on the mini controller no longer switched the kettle ON but it also stopped the other Insteon device coming ON that had never had an X10 code set and the one that I had factory reset earlier in the process trying to solve the problem.

So problem B is now solved.

First of all, thanks for the update and secondly my apologies for a tardy reply.

No need for any appology.

Restore Device does NOT add X10 addresses back and, as such, my gut feeling says that the problem is with ELK setup mostly because ELK translates X10 addresses to ISY devices/scenes and vice versa. As such - and if you feel like it - would you be kind enough to simply remove ELK configuration from ISY and retry?

Thanks for the confirmation regarding X10 addresses. I take it that removing the ELK configuration from the ISY is as simple and removing the IP address and port number and saving? If it is I have just done that so I will see how it goes.

many thanks

Brian

bdlhome,

YES. That's all it takes ... the only issue is that with some versions of ELK, adding the IP address back might not automatically start the communications between ELK/ISY. If that happens, simply reboot your ISY ..

With kind regards,

Michel

No need for any appology.

Thanks for the confirmation regarding X10 addresses. I take it that removing the ELK configuration from the ISY is as simple and removing the IP address and port number and saving? If it is I have just done that so I will see how it goes.

many thanks

Brian

Just to give an update, since removing the ELK config I have had no further problems and I've tried pretty hard to make it fail.

If there is anything I can do to help diagnose the problem further please let me know.

best regards,

Brian

Brian, thanks so very much for the update. Please do be kind enough to make sure the Future flags are set on all the devices that need to communicate with ELK.

With kind regards,

Michel

Just to give an update, since removing the ELK config I have had no further problems and I've tried pretty hard to make it fail.

If there is anything I can do to help diagnose the problem further please let me know.

best regards,

Brian

Archived