Elk WSV2 for Less

shannong

I've discovered the actual manufacturer of the Elk WSV2 and you can find the exact same valve available for sale on Amazon for only ~$350 instead of the ~$515 that is typical for the WSV2.

http://www.greenfielddirect.com/automatic-security-valves/

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Automatic-Security-Valve-Pipe/dp/B008FHHMFG/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A33RI86K4PO1EO

I bought an Elk WSV from them. While they did eventually ship me the valve and everything was fine with it, they took over a month and were very bitchy when I complained about not receiving anything for weeks even though they took money from day 1. I would go elsewhere if other reasonable options exist.

I rolled the dice and ordered from Surveillent. I didn't receive any shipping notice or tacking info but it arrived today. Phew!

The original Elk wiring diagram shows 4 wires. Red 12V+ and White 12V+ to power/open the valve. Black 12V- for ground. And Green 12V+ for a signal wire.

Although this valve looks IDENTICAL to the Elk WSV2 on the outside minus the stickers, the wiring is different. It has 6 wires. Red+ and White+ to open/close the valve with Black-. Instead of a Green wire to provide voltage indicating its state, it has 3 wires for a typical SPDT NO,NC, Com setup that is more commonly seen. I like this better. And they provide a 2.2A 18V power supply with it.

So in addition to saving $225 dollars, I ended with what I believe is a better alternative and since they're are the original manufacturer of the valve that is OEM'd by Elk I don't have to worry about it being lesser quality. Executing a replacement under this manufacturer warranty could be more difficult with them vs Elk in the future but let's hope I don't find out.

Although this valve looks IDENTICAL to the Elk WSV2 on the outside minus the stickers, the wiring is different. It has 6 wires. Red+ and White+ to open/close the valve with Black-. Instead of a Green wire to provide voltage indicating its state, it has 3 wires for a typical SPDT NO,NC, Com setup that is more commonly seen. I like this better. And they provide a 2.2A 12V power supply with it.

This is the way the Elk valve(s) should have been all along. Form C contacts are the only way to go IMHO.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just curious did you wire the valve just like the elk-wsv2?

No. The Elk-WSV2 simply provides voltage on one wire so you have to add your own relay to the mix to detect valve state. It's not done the same since this one incorporates its own Form C relay with contacts based on valve state. It has Common, N/O, an N/C output wires to use for detecting valve state depending on your needs.

Also, I didn't wire my valve to an Insteon IOLinc. It is connected directly to my Elk system for control since it's more reliable and also battery backed. There is a relay board that is connected to an Output of my Elk to open/close the valve. The Form C outputs of the valve are wired directly to a Zone on the Elk to detect valve state. Using an automation rule, I then turn on a non-existent Output (outputs 65-192 are unused unless expanders are added to the system) that the ISY monitors. When my ISY sees output 190 turn on, it "knows" the valve is closed and sets a variable.

The valve is closed every time I leave the house triggered by arming the alarm. So far it has been rock solid with zero issues. I also have the power supply of the water valve on a small UPS so I can detect leaks and shutoff/restore water to the house even with the electricity out. I can go for days without power and still have a functioning alarm and leak protection system.

• 3 months later...

For Power, Red to the power source +12, Black to the power source ground.

For Valve Control, Black to the IOLinc Relay Com, White to IOLinc Relay N/O

For Feedback, Green to IOLinc Gnd, Purple to IOLinc Sense.

Turn relay On to Open valve.

When the valve is Open, the IOLinc sensor will report On.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Xathros thanks, I wired accordingly. I plug in the power supply and by pressing the button on I/o Linc opens and closes the valve. As long as power supply pluged in I am not able to see or control through IOS Insteon interface, if I unplug the the power then I can control, configure and on/off the I/o Linc via IOS modual. I have tried to reset and still same issue. My final goal is to use the Insteon wireless leak detractor to control the valve. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Sounds like the power supply is interfering with insteon comms.  Place a filterlinc between the power supply an the outlet. or try a different 12v supply.

-Xathros

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I am back on this project, yes you were right power supply was problem, that's fixed. I can open and close valve remotely. My I/O Linc is not seeing the Insteon water sensor. I created a scene to close valve when it's wet but the sensor is grayed out. Your help is appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Archived