how can I use the isy-99 from an external control program

schenkl

Qeustion:

I have noticed the lack is discussion of incorporation analog values with insteon/plm/isy-99. I have a home control program that I wrote, utilizing several physical layers. Each has it's advantages and dis-advantages. That said, I utilize about 15 temperature sensors in my system, to control various devices. I use Dallas One Wire for the temperature/humidity modules. They work well, however I am not happy with the output devices. Here comes insteon. But how do I get the data to turn on the fan or sprinkler from my Dallas One Wire data (my program) to the Insteon network? I am using Linux, but I suspect that this question is OS independent.

Is there a simple way to turn on a device via the serial port? The documentation on the PLM is confusing. Is there a good document to read?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

schenkl

Hello schenkl,

You can use our JSDK and WSDK (web services) to write network applications that talk with ISY over the network.

JSDK is pretty well established, is in Java and is released with each official release. WSDK is ISY services in WSDL, is brand new, and the first version of which shall be released in a couple of days.

If you have specific questions vis-a-vis developing applications for ISY, please do be kind enough to visit our developers forum:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewforum.php?f=2 .

With kind regards,

Michel

Qeustion:

I have noticed the lack is discussion of incorporation analog values with insteon/plm/isy-99. I have a home control program that I wrote, utilizing several physical layers. Each has it's advantages and dis-advantages. That said, I utilize about 15 temperature sensors in my system, to control various devices. I use Dallas One Wire for the temperature/humidity modules. They work well, however I am not happy with the output devices. Here comes insteon. But how do I get the data to turn on the fan or sprinkler from my Dallas One Wire data (my program) to the Insteon network? I am using Linux, but I suspect that this question is OS independent.

Is there a simple way to turn on a device via the serial port? The documentation on the PLM is confusing. Is there a good document to read?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

schenkl

Hello Schenkl,

Our web services SDK comprises a WSDL (which is in ISY's firmware) and a developers guide which is not completed yet. As far as WSDL, all you have to do is to point your IDE to http://your.isy.ip-address/services.wsdl. For instance,

in Visual Studio, you would use "Add Service Reference" and for Eclipse, you would use "Add a Web Services Client Proxy".

The developers guide should be ready within a few days at which time it will be posted in the same forum.

If you are interested in our JSDK (Java SDK), you will have to wait for our official 2.7 release (hopefully within 2 weeks).

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case we can be of further assistance,

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel:

Sorry to sound so stupid, but where do I find the SDK?

Schenkl

• 2 months later...

Archived