Dimmable LEDs and ramp rate

brain shocker

Just installed new dimmable MR16 LED bulbs in some potlights, when they ramp up the LEDS flicker at start but when they ramp down they dim perfectly to about 14%, if I set the ramp rate to 0.1 they work perfect.Is there a way to have an ON ramp set different then the OFF ramp?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Not using a single Scene. If using an ISY Program one ISY Scene could be used to turn the Responders On and a different ISY Scene to turn the Responders Off.

Also no if the LEDs are the load to a device that operated to turn them On/Off.

In other words Insteon devices do not have the ability to use different ramp rates for On and Off.

That configuration does not support multiple Ramp Rates.

A KeypadLinc button controlling the load control switch can use multiple Scenes. The KeypadLinc button triggers one ISY Program to handle the On side and a second ISY Program handling the Off side. Each Program would use a different Scene with a different Responder Ramp Rate.

A single device cannot have a Local Ramp Rate for On and a different Local Ramp Rate for Off. A Fast Off uses a preset Ramp Rate of 0.2 seconds (if memory is correct). On could use the Local Ramp Rate and use Fast Off to turn the LEDs Off.

Or use a different brand of LED.

Most of the dimmable LEDs I have tried. Have a minimum dim level before they pop ON or OFF.

It is the nature of the beast. Some are better than others.

Philips is one of the better brands. Though even some models from Philips act differently.

At one time. Smarthome had a list of dimmable LED bulbs they had tried. I believe they where Sylvania brand.

You may want to try a few brands and see if you can find a more suitable one for your installation.

You could put a micromodule controlling the load behind a KPL. Then one button would control a scene where the micromodule turns the light off and a different button would control a scene that turns the light on.

This all seems way too complex in my mind, however.

I use the cree lights and am quite happy with them. They do not flicker, but they do "pop" a little when they first light. They aren't capable of anything much less than 12% so as you ramp it up, you get nothing until you hit 12% then "pop" is on at 12%. Same thing on the way down, but it goes lower before it "pops" off.

Couldn't we have a program that modifies the scene ramp rates depending on what happens at the dimmer? For example:

Scene: Kitchen_Pots (Controller Kitchen_SLD)

Program: Kitchen_Pots_Modifier

If 
   Control Kitchen_SLD is switched 100%
  and Control Kitchen_SLD is NOT switched Off

Then
  Wait 5 seconds
  In Scene 'Kitchen_Pots / Kitchen_SLD' Set 'Kitchen_Pots / Kitchen_SLD' 4.0 Sec (Ramp Rate)

Else
  Wait 5 seconds
  In Scene 'Kitchen_Pots / Kitchen_SLD' Set 'Kitchen_Pots / Kitchen_SLD' 2.0 Sec (Ramp Rate)

Seems to me like this would meet the OP's requirement.

-Xathros

The dimmer is powering the load. No other devices involved. When the paddle is pressed the dimmer adjusts the load based on the Local settings.

Understood.

What I am saying is have a program modify the local ramp rate setting a few seconds after the control has switched on or off so that the next opposite action at the control has the desired ramp rate. Is this not possible?

-Xathros

Couldn't we have a program that modifies the scene ramp rates depending on what happens at the dimmer? For example:

Scene: Kitchen_Pots (Controller Kitchen_SLD)

Program: Kitchen_Pots_Modifier

If 
   Control Kitchen_SLD is switched 100%
  and Control Kitchen_SLD is NOT switched Off

Then
  Wait 5 seconds
  In Scene 'Kitchen_Pots / Kitchen_SLD' Set 'Kitchen_Pots / Kitchen_SLD' 4.0 Sec (Ramp Rate)

Else
  Wait 5 seconds
  In Scene 'Kitchen_Pots / Kitchen_SLD' Set 'Kitchen_Pots / Kitchen_SLD' 2.0 Sec (Ramp Rate)

Seems to me like this would meet the OP's requirement.

-Xathros

Tried the code works great, I decided to use it for a couple different areas were I want the lights to come ON instantly but OFF slowly for the effect.

Thanks for everyone's help

Archived