ISY support for Insteon Hub

larryllix

Only the older 2242 HUB has been modified. As far as I have seen. As the network Daughter board has to be changed to the Serial Daughter board used in a serial PLM.

The 2245 HUB is all on one PCB.

The 2443 HUB Pro has the same FCC ID as the older 2442 HUB. Though I have no added information on it.

It would need the correct Insteon RF frequency parts to match the regions allowed frequency.

It may also need the main boards Firmware flashed to to the PLM firmware from the HUB firmware.

Smartlabs will not allow anyone access to their firmware.

Even the empty promised Firmware for the UDI PLM. That seems to be dead for now. While waiting for the elusive promised Firmware.

Well the older 2242 is still available at http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2242-422-hub-europe-869-mhz.html

However it's a European only model meaning if I want to use it with the wall switches or keypads it won't work because I think only the Micro Dimmer and Micro On / Off Switches are available for EU region.

BTW if you look at the new 2245 page at http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html andscroll down the page there is a table comparing between the 2245 and 2242.  It does state " Yes *(can be used as an interface for HouseLinc)" for the older 2242.  I wonder what this mean though.  Does it mean I can use the now deprecated HouseLinc software to control via the older 2242 Hub acting as a PLM?  Maybe this is why we can modify the older 2242 but not the newer 2245?

Anyway if I want to use Insteon wall switches there are only US models available meaning I must buy the newer 2245 Hub because the older 2242 Hub is only available for EU frequency.

This means a dead end for me?

Okay I think I have hit a show stopper.  The fact that I need to use the wall switches and they are available only in US versions mean I can't use them at Hong Kong where 915MHz is the upper end of the GSM900 band for cell phone.

If someone has a suggestion of which brand of switches or relays to use with ISY other than Insteon please let me know.  Thanks.

That's a very good guide but the problem for me with ZWave is none of the switches look as nice as the Insteon ones. If you know a ZWave brand that makes switches that look like the Insteon switches then please let me know! Thanks!!!

That's a very good guide but the problem for me with ZWave is none of the switches look as nice as the Insteon ones. If you know a ZWave brand that makes switches that look like the Insteon switches then please let me know! Thanks!!!

How about this one?

b044f3d5ca56d232000f3340c2b23e41.jpg

2e7efd2853981068d4bfecdf626d31ab.jpg

Did you look at the Z-Wave frequency chart in my earlier post?

They use different Z-Wave frequencies in your area of the world. China is 868.4MHz and Hong Kong is 919.8 MHz.

USA has two 908.4MHz and 916MHz.

Also the Z-Wave ISY994i is only available in the USA and maybe Canada.

You would still need a PLM if you do any Insteon modules.

Z-Wave only can be run with the firmware version that does not need the PLM and you are doing Z-Wave only.

MWareman thanks and you almost got me excited there.  The problem with the HomeSeer switch is it only supports 120V.  There are actually quite a few brands incl Leviton and GE that looks nice like that but only supports 120V.

MWareman thanks and you almost got me excited there. The problem with the HomeSeer switch is it only supports 120V. There are actually quite a few brands incl Leviton and GE that looks nice like that but only supports 120V.

Ahh, sorry! I hadn't spotted the earlier post where you said that. Sorry!
  • 3 months later...

Did I miss something in this thread?  Is Universal Devices making their own PLM?  If so, where can I buy one?

No. The wheels were in motion, but SH wouldn't allow UDI the proper license to use the hardware and firmware, in their own product.

No. The wheels were in motion, but SH wouldn't allow UDI the proper license to use the hardware and firmware, in their own product.

This is bewildering to me since UDI has a employee that also works at Smarthome/Smartlabs. Why did this not happen? Something seems fishy to me. Same for the "we can't get the documentation for the APIs". Why not when you have a UDI member who works at Smarthome?

This is bewildering to me since UDI has a employee that also works at Smarthome/Smartlabs. Why did this not happen? Something seems fishy to me. Same for the "we can't get the documentation for the APIs". Why not when you have a UDI member who works at Smarthome?

License Mr. Cool, license, not documentation..

Cheers,

Alex

License Mr. Cool, license, not documentation..

Cheers,

Alex

Understood but there's also been discussion about getting the API documentation for a device (can't remember which one) too.

Steve Lee - Works at Smartlabs and UDI and UDI can't get either sorted out? Really?

EDIT: Proof screenshot of Linkedin profile

https://www.linkedin.com/in/steve-lee-0217378

e3e9aec0bf9ee0572d2d5bb5af4450b0.png

From memory here.

The issue is Smartlabs promised the needed Insteon ICs for both the controller and RF PLM functions to UDI. They would not let UDI program their own ICs and they had to be purchased through Smartlabs.

Then there where changes at  Smartlabs and the ICs where never made available for UDI. Even though the prototype UDI PLM are ready from what I remember. Rough guess 1.5 to 2 years ago.

In the early days of the now defunct Insteon Developers Group that I was part of. There was mention on Insteon PLM ICs for hardware developers. Again some asked and got a big run around.

Archived