Venstar t5800 and above native api

hart2hart

InsteonNut

Venstar has released an open API to their high end color touch screen interfaces. Would you take a look and see what would be required to implement native support from Moblinc? I've asked io_guy about creating interface between venstar API and ISY using his variable method (he has indicated if venstar would supply test unit he would create link program) and have asked udi if they would consider providing direct ISY support. I'm Trying to cover different methods to get access to great looking device and am considering that different groups have different priorities and resource constraints. As I mentioned to ioguy this could obviously be a paid module. Thanks for already excellent product and your consideration on this topic.

API link follows:

http://developer.venstar.com/assets/Col ... v3rev1.pdf

Thanks hart2hart,

Currently MobiLinc doesn't support Wi-Fi based thermostats. Only those supported by the ISY (INSTEON, Z-WAVE, RCS) are supported.

It's possible to add in support for this thermostat, however, we'd need a demo unit and also demonstrated support/demand from the community that this thermostat is worth supporting. Those reading can chime in on this topic to voice support.

We'd likely have to release this as an In-App paid plug-in to cover our development costs should there be enough demand to warrant the time/cost of development.

Right now, the only Wi-Fi thermostat that we've seen strong demand for is the NEST. We've reached out to NEST for their API, but haven't heard back from them.

Wes

• 7 months later...

I think the Nest is the most popular for plug and play people, but for those who want to control their temp, vs their thermostat controlling them, I would look deeper into the Honeywell lines. I recently passed on the Nest and bought the Honeywell TH9320WF5003 WiFi 9000 And am glad I did. More control, more features, less expensive. I played with friend's Nest and am glad I made my decision. They already have a cool free app, but it would be nice to integrate into Isy.

By the way, I have owned the Venstar Insteon for many years and it is HORRIBLE! It doesn't hold a calibration, can't read the screen, very confusing programming, and when I have called Tech Support, they were rude and not very knowledgeable. I will be replacing it with a less expensive wi-fi version of my current Honeywell mentioned above. (I have two heaters)

Archived