KPL On/Off Flickers When Pressed

smokegrub

The On/Off button (6 button KPL) for the light on a ceiling fan (FanLinc controlled) flickers when pressed On/Off and occasionally works. The fan speeds consistently work from the keypad.

When accessed from the app or from MobiLinc On/Off works consistently.

When pressed at the KPL and it fails to work, using the app or MobiLinc to turn it on or off results in the switch on the KPL working again for a while but flickering when it does so.

I am stumped.

ISY994

I saw something that sounds similar with a KPL of mine. It controlled the LED vanity lights in my bathroom and it would go into an almost buzz like fast flickering when pressed on while the other keys worked ok. The default for the lights from that switch was a partial power setting like 50% or so. I factory reset the switch, cleared scenes associated with the KPL and reloaded it from the ISY and it would work for a while but then the problem returned. Ultimately I swapped it with another KPL elsewhere in the house and both have been fine since. All I can think is that in my case the "flickering" was some sort of marginality in the actual KPL electronics that was getting triggered by controlling an LED as less than full power. I don't recall where I swapped the failing unit now but I think it may be controlling an incandescent lamp or may be in a spot with no connected load. In any case, all evidence for me suggested a bad Insteon unit.

Allow me to re-phrase the question about programming:

The FanLinc shows up as two devices on the ISY, FanLinc Light and FanLinc Motor.

To get the light to work I created a scene with the KPL "On" button as the controller and FanLinc Light as the responder. Is that the proper way set up the KPL button?

They are incandescent.

As I posted earlier, the strange thing is that I can turn the light on/off without fail using either the admin console or MobiLinc.

The KPL fails occasionally but will begin working if I manage the light for one cycle on/off using the admin console or MobiLinc.

Archived