Identify External IP Address Yet Not Local To ISY99i/ISY994i

Mainiero

Would You Like Means To Identify External IP Address Offsite?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Like Means To Identify External IP Address Offsite?

• Always/Yes!!!
    • Often
    • Not Yet; Perhaps In Future
    • Not Ever

Hi to all,

Relatively recent isy user, 2 locations.

How identify ISY99i/ISY994i externally when service provider changes IP—common after power outage or modem reset? Do not want to pay $10 or whatever for static IP address, times two locations!

Previously, had Smarthome Insteon Ethernet Smartlinc 2412N controller for access. However, unit needed restarts way too often; subsequently, unplugging for several seconds no longer enough to reset, so factory reset plus re-programming was necessary; eventually, could no longer access, even after complete resets. (Had loaded latest firmware... might have been incompatible; full reset to factory defaults should have corrected that, right?) So, thought best to upgrade to Universal Devices!!!

At location #1, installed ISY99i Pro year or two back, purchased prior to 994i availability. (Annoyed to learn missed upgrade window to 994i.) At Location #2, last fall removed faulty Smartlinc 2412N & replaced w/ ISY994i.

One useful feature of ($100 or so) 2412N is able to register @ smarthome website w/ username and password. Same username & pw entered into the 2412N. Why? Well, whether at location or not, simply go to smartlinc.smarthome.com site, enter UN & PW. Site asks if at home or not. If select at home, site reports smartlinc 2412N local network link (192.168.1.100, for example) to select, whether on smartphone or computer. If select "Not at home", website reports back external IP link to your smartlinc, including specific port routing to access it immediately.

Does this feature exist on the 99i/994i units? IF NOT—IT SHOULD!!! Location #2 has regular power outages. ATT DSL is best can do there; any reset, such as post power-outage, or that my sons believe a network reset will improve their game performance, most always will come back up with new IP address—even though router programmed to keep ip address for the max nmbr of days. Sometimes it even changes on it's own, like overnight, at location #2/Sierra. Location #1 has Comcast—external IP changes there far less often—perhaps a handful of times each year.

Primary use of ISY994i @ Location #2 is to turn on propane hot water heater, turn on thermostat & raise heat temp; also to turn on all external lighting upon arriving (Sierra Mountain Foothills). When External IP Address changes, communication rendered useless until at the physical site, which really bites—especially if wicked cold or simply arriving late at night. (Hot water might take 1-2 hours to come to temp; my wife likes to shower early, then get to sleep immediately upon arrival and wants kids to shower prior to bed, too.)

Perhaps above communication feature exists? Did searches and review of manual overlook this?

I called AT&T last trip and asked for external IP. Tech fellow said could see that dsl modem was communicating, which at least told me no trees had downed lines in prior storm; however, he claimed external IP was not available; if so, mngmt has made it unavailable so to encourage people to spend more $$$ for static IP.

I have paid them way too much as it is during my lifetime... on principal, I refuse to pay more to simply know my external IP address, something I feel if they change, they should at least let me know what it is with a text or email, or phone call request!!! Or at least upon logging into my dsl account at the AT&T website!!!

If above not available, how about Universal Devices sets up a simple website to allow customers to enter UN & PW. Modify firmware for ISY units to allow customers to enter same UN & PW—and ideally how often to report the external IP address (and whatever other useful info) to the universal-devices.com site. That way, when customer logs in, will be presented with two links... one to click on if at home on local internal network and one to select if not at home, with external IP of whenever their ISY 99i/494i last reported.

This will avoid the need for many to consider a static line to communicate/control their home or small office externally.

Quite frankly, surprised NOT TO FIND this capability, given upgrading from a supposedly inferior smartlinc 2412N. I had just presumed all the features in that unit, and more—would be available in the ISY99i/ISY994i units. The 2412N, at least the older unit I used, could not be programmed remotely, so given the inconsistent behavior of my unit (had picked it up used, so maybe was faulty to start with, though it did seem to work reasonably well for about one year, maybe needing a reset every 6-8 weeks initially).

Very best,

Mike

Use a router that supports dns-o-matic (like Asus and many more - I use pfSense on an Alix device). Then choose from one of the many free dynamic DNS providers. I use dns.he.net.

Dynamic DNS is properly placed at your router, not a device behind your router.

Michael.

There are many residential grade routers with this functionality already included. Also, there are several open source packages such as DD-WRT that you can install on residential broadband routers that provide DDNS and use free services such as dnsexit.com, dynu.com, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael has it correct. The router is the appropriate place to do this, and many of today's routers have this functionality already built-in. If your router doesn't support DDNS directly, most providers provide a cient that can be run on a machine behind the router that will inform the DDNS provider if your ISP changes your IP address.

As can be expected, the free services are somewhat limited. In the case of no-ip, (the DDNS provider I am using) the free service allows for one domain name and up to three hosts. The domain name is limited to what the provider hosts. No-ip free domains include noip.me, hopto.org, sytes.net, zapto.org and servebeer.com. Hostnames can then be added as required, for example jacksISY99i - which when combined with the domain name will become jacksISY99i.noip.me for example.

Once that is set up, a few more steps have to be completed to provide external access to your ISY.

-set up the https port on the ISY (defaut 443 is fine)

-set up port forwarding in the router.

This will direct external ip traffic arriving at the router on the specified port to your ISY when properly set up.

For example, if we use the above name, and the ISY ip is 192.168.0.5, the https port is 443 the port forwarding

setup will look something like this:

Service Name: ISYHTTPSAccess (or any convenient name)

port range: 17564 (pick one between 1024 and 65,535)

Local IP: 192.168.0.5

Local Port: 443

If everything is set up properly, then typing jacksISY99i.noip.me:17564 in a browser address field from any computer

internet connected computer (except computers within your network) will connect you directly to the ISY secure web

page, which will then prompt you for a user name and password. The process works something like this:

The DDNS service (in this case no-ip) resolves the domain name to the ip currently

assigned to your modem

The router recognizes the port, and forwards the packets to port 443 on the ISY

The ISY then responds, and opens the web page.

If you are using Mobilinc or Conductor, enter this into the address field in setup.

The other route is to register and purchase your own domain name, and pay an annual fee to a DDNS provider to resolve the address. The domain name cost is about $20 per year, and the DDNS service about $25 per year. Most of the DDNS providers will also provide domain name search and registering service combined with the DDNS at a cheaper price.

Hope this is a help. If I have made any errors in this description please feel free to post corrections.

Jack

Archived