Insteon PLM questions, confused.

dtt255

I am a new user and installing everything.

When I called UD when figuring out what I need, I was told to get the serial version of the PLM. So I did. Now when I go to install everything i find that I don't have a serial port on my computers. So I need to do the usb version instead or just get a serial-to-usb converter? Why would I be told to get the serial version VS the usb version? Was there a particular reason?

Do I also need to run the insteon software on the computer that the plm is plugged into or does the ISY handle all that and the ISY will just find the plm on the network regardless of which computer it is plugged into?

Thanks for the help.

Dtt

The PLM connects to the ISY not to your PC. There is an ethernet type cable that runs between Port A on the ISY and the PLM. Another ethernet cable runs from the Network port on the ISY to your router or switch. Your PC connects to the ISY via the network, not serial.

All necessary software runs on the ISY with the exception of the Admin console which runs on the PC in Java and accesses the ISY via the network.

The ISY will NOT work with a USB PLM.

-Xathros

Ahhh ok...this is a little different then UPB which is what I am used to :)

Now if I can just get the plugin module purchases to work. I am accessing the admin panel via safari and it is not bringing up a page to purchase modules. So I am going to try firefox now...see if that works. Chrome on the OSX platform doesn't support 64bit yet.

I know it will be worth it once everything gets working :roll:

Ahhh. Safari is a pain with the ISY.. Try firefox or chrome and you will be much happier with the results. Also be aware that the weather module is currently not available. It is being re written to use a different weather source as Weatherbug just pulled the carpet out from under everyones feet by completely changing their API and terms of service without much if any warning.

-Xathros