ISY Admin Console won't Display Realtime Status of Devices

Hi,

My ISY994 admin console is not displaying the status of my devices in real time. In other words if I turn a device on at the switch, the admin console does not show it is on until I query that device again.

I recently upgraded both my ISY to ISY994 and my PLM. That may be related to this.

Any direction and suggestions on how to resolve are appreciated.

Thank you.

Replacing the PLM means all devices have to be updated with the new PLM address.

A Delete Modem (PLM) function should not have been done. Was the Wiki instructions followed for replacing the PLM?

Do a Show Device Links Table for a SwitchLinc or other simple switch (not KPL). Is there an active Controller link record with the new PLM address? If so do a Restore Modem (PLM) to rebuild the PLM link database. If there is no active Controller link record in the switch and a Delete Modem (PLM) was issued a current backup of the ISY taken before the Delete Modem (PLM) was issued should be restored and a File | Restore Devices done to rebuild all the device link databases is required.

I find that my X10 MS directly linked to Insteon modules never show current status updates for either device.

If I operate the buttons on the side of a LampLinc module status is updated in the ISY immediately but not so for X10 control of my LampLinc modules.

I find the same lack of update happening for X10 MS units also, and yet a Query will update the ISY status. This puzzles me as there is nothing to query in an X10 wireless MS device meaning the ISY knows the status of the X10 devices (somewhere) but just doesn't indicate it correctly on the device page in the Admin Console. I can write the LampLinc status as interference and being behind an Arc Fault detector but the X10 wireless MS unit shouldn't update on a query.

I don't believe it triggers appropriate programs, at times, based on the status change. This may need further specific testing and I haven't spent time to nail it down yet.

Hello Larry,

I don't believe that Insteon modules status will update when activated by X10. The module does not communicate it's status back to the ISY, and the ISY has no way of knowing that there is an X10 address associated with the unit.

If you want the status to track:

1) Remove the X10 address from your LL.

2) Write programs to trigger on the motion sensor On/Off and activate your Lamp Linc.

It is very odd that the admin console updates the X10 Motion Sensor status after a query. As you indicated, there is no way of querying a X10 MS.

1) How are you identifying the Motion Sensor to the ISY?

2) Does the Event viewer show any traffic in response to a query?

3) Is it possible you have another X10 2-way device on the same address?

One of my old PR511 flood lamps decided to shift addresses last fall. After 12 years of service the address contacts had become corroded. Gave me fits for awhile until I figured out that it had shifted onto another units address.

Hello Larry,

I don't believe that Insteon modules status will update when activated by X10. The module does not communicate it's status back to the ISY, and the ISY has no way of knowing that there is an X10 address associated with the unit.

If you want the status to track:

1) Remove the X10 address from your LL.

2) Write programs to trigger on the motion sensor On/Off and activate your Lamp Linc.

It is very odd that the admin console updates the X10 Motion Sensor status after a query. As you indicated, there is no way of querying a X10 MS.

1) How are you identifying the Motion Sensor to the ISY?

2) Does the Event viewer show any traffic in response to a query?

3) Is it possible you have another X10 2-way device on the same address?

One of my old PR511 flood lamps decided to shift addresses last fall. After 12 years of service the address contacts had become corroded. Gave me fits for awhile until I figured out that it had shifted onto another units address.

I went through 3 or 4 of those PR511 units. Nothing but bad news with false triggers. I don't know why the manufacturers can't make MS that are more immune to winds and driving snow, anymore, like the dual element units seemed to be. *sigh*

I originally had my X10 MS being managed (an translated to Insteon) completely by the ISY but I found it to be much slower. Nothing worse than fumbling around in the dark after you see the X10 MS flash waiting for the LampLinc to come on. Direct X10 control speeds up the response time and since new houses have arc fault breakers the communication between the bedroom circuits and the main panel, where the ISY sits, is not the best on the wiring, anyway.

I had thought the operation of the LampLincs would update the ISY no matter how they were operated. I am quite disappointed they don't seem to. That makes the X10 units less functional. I have come to believe there is a bit of a bug in the ISY X10 module that it receives X10 commands but doesn't update the device status page, or trigger program events, sometimes. I need to organise my testing thoughts on paper and set out to prove what is happening there.

I have found the need to have follow up program lines to turn off the X10 MS statuses in the ISY or they indicate "On" forever, mostly, despite an "Off" command always coming at 4 min delay from every X10 MS unit I have. Some I figured were just bad communications as I have a solar co-gen inverter running during sunny hours and most are on arc fault breaker circuits in bedrooms. Occasionally ISY will miss the lamps off-timer during sunny hours and the X10 MS will turn it off, since it's receiver is inside the same arc fault wiring circuit.

My X10 MSs are defined as X10 units by their addresses in the ISY. I use the X10/A10 module. I share some of the MS addresses with the keychain dongles to operate lights from the bedside in parallel with the MS units. I never owned any bi-directional units save the PR511s, I left installed in my old house. I have no queryable X10 devices that I am aware of. A few plug-in lamp modules on non-critical lamps etc. and wireless MS and Key fobs.

I will have a look at the event viewer to investigate this more. Thanks for that tool idea. I am quite busy with outside things now the warmer weather has finally come.

Archived