How to migrate from an ISY99i Pro to a ISY994i Pro?

ricke

I got the notice recently that the ISY99i Pro was being end-of-lifed. its been flawless for me but I upgraded to the new ISY994i Pro.

It just arrived. How do I smoothly migrate all of my programming and INSTEON devices from the 99i Pro to the 994i Pro?

Thanks!

Rick

I got the notice recently that the ISY99i Pro was being end-of-lifed. its been flawless for me but I upgraded to the new ISY994i Pro.

It just arrived. How do I smoothly migrate all of my programming and INSTEON devices from the 99i Pro to the 994i Pro?

Thanks!

Rick

I did the same recently and basically backup the 99 and restore to 994.

If you have any optional modules, once you have the unit, you send the UUID for your 99 as well as 994 to support to get them migrated across.

That sounds easy enough but when I swapped out the controllers, when I launch the admin URL and Java loads the java admin apps starts up but I don't get a login prompt. What I do see eventually are these two errors pop up:

Socket open Failed java.io.IOException: A existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

and

XML Parse Error

I can't login or do a Restore operation. What does that error indicate? I can reproduce it every time.

Thanks,

Rick

I went back and plugged in the ISY99i pro and it immediately worked fine.

When I went back to the ISY994i Pro I tried this URL: http://isy.universal-devices.com/99i/

and then this URL:

http://isy.universal-devices.com/99i/3.3.10/admin.jnlp

With the second URL a popup did come up with an ISY Finder but it doesn't see anything.

I do know that my original ISY99i was being accessed by a fixed IP and I launched its console by using:

http://192.168.0.29/WEB/INDEX.HTM

It sure feels like this could be an issue getting the 994 to get a new IP address but I don't get any opportunity to get to a settings screen where I can view or configure its IP or DHCP settings.

Rick

My router already uses DHCP. When NETBIOS support stopped being supported I ended up accessing my ISY99i by its address. I fortunately hadn't ever been assigned a new IP address so I could keep using it.

Rick

Also the memory light blinks blue and the error light blinks red. These come on intermittently.

Is there a way to do a hard reset of 994i?

Something else that I don't understand is with the 99i Pro when you launched the URL for admin it would bring up a web based page that included settings that could let you modify IP address configuration settings. You could click on a button to launch the java admin console and log in.

Now with the 994i software it immediately launches the java console page and since it is getting the java IO exception error I can't login and make any settings changes so its a chicken and egg thing.

Rick

OK, maybe I'll try some new cables and a different PC. I'm using the same router, same network cables, same PLM and same Ethernet port as with the 99i pro. Every time I plug the 99i Pro back in it works perfectly. Its frustrating that I had to get the 994i because the 99i was end-of-lifed and yet the 994i is not nearly as easy to setup as the 99i.

Rick

The difference is you indicated the 99i is using a static IP. The 994i is using DHCP. Once the router assigns an IP address from the DHCP pool so that the 994i can be accessed another different static IP can be assigned to the 994i.

The MEM and ERR LEDs will indicate when the 994i has been able to access the router.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok sounds good I created a support ticket. I was so blocked that I bought an INSTEON Hub in the meantime which in contrast was a dream in contrast to setup and use but I am missing my ISY programmability.

Thanks,

Rick

Archived