Problem with my ISY-99i and M1XEP working together

I'm having a problem with my ISY-99i. If I have the ISY-99i hooked into the local network the M1XEP doesn't connect. And if I disconnect the ISY-99i then the M1EXP does start up. Then when I reconnect the ISY and try to logon, the The Administrative Console appears but the logon screen doesn't appear. If I disconnect the M1XEP from the network and restart the ISY it starts and the logon screen appears. Anyone know why this apparent conflict?

My first thought: Are you using the secure TCP port? If so, you could be trying to use an encryption standard not supported. Try configuring ISY to use the M1XEP non-secure port.

Another possibility is in IP address conflict. Any chance both devices are assigned the same address?

-Xathros

Another possibility is in IP address conflict. Any chance both devices are assigned the same address?

-Xathros

That's what I'm thinking, I'll check that..

Thanks!

Well I checked the IP addresses, but they are different. The ISY address is 10.0.0.14 and the M1EXP (shown as Unknown in the list) is 10.0.0.16. And I have the port forwarded to 2601 for the EXP. The ISY was not port forwarded since it setup ok without doing that. Also when I try to get EXP to use the non-secure port 2101, and after I have set that port in the modem setup, it does start to connect but then says "System does not respond, connection may have been terminated" and then says "system returned invalid information"

But then as soon as I unplug the ISY power source, the M1XEP connects! So how do I find the conflict?

Are you running the ElkRP software at the same time?

If so - it will take over the XEP's connection and not allow the ISY to connect to it. The XEP only allows one TCP device to connect at a time.

Are you running the ElkRP software at the same time?

If so - it will take over the XEP's connection and not allow the ISY to connect to it. The XEP only allows one TCP device to connect at a time.

Yes, no one told me that! I thought both had to be running for everything to operate properly. So which one should I use to set up on/off lighting and other events?

I wish there was documentation other than the installation, which shows how to use this. Like how do I set events like triggering flashes for a connected Insteon lamp, not just on or off? But maybe that's a subject for another topic..

Wait, I just saw the ISY Users Guide.. I'll jump into that now!!

I used to have X-10 years ago and setting up scenes and macro events was a lot easier then.

But thanks for your reply!

Just disconnect ElkRP while you at working with the ISY. Its not really many to be left running, rather used just to configure the ELK, send the config then disconnect. While ElkRP is connected the XEP will disconnect from ISY and you won't get events and such.

If you have the Elk module, you must leave ElkRP disconnected otherwise no communication will occur between the XEP and ISY. Just connect it when you need to sync configuration

Archived