Running out of space, Power strips?

kegacide

I'm a newbie to ISYs and home automation and all this fun stuff, but I have a physical question about space.

Where I have my router setup is behind my entertainment center, where I then also set up my ISY and PLM due to access to my ethernet switch. Also here I have a syncronolinc for my TV, and I want to get a IRLinc as well, but these damn plug ins take up so much room!

How are you guys doing it? I want to get a good power strip with wide spacing that can fit the syncronolinc and an IRlinc. My PLM is plugged directly into the outlet so I am not doing that.

So first off is it ok to have components besides the PLM plugged into a power strip as opposed to directly into an outlet? And secondly, what power strips are you guys using if you have a bunch of different objects close by?

kegacide,

If you have the PLM plugged into a power bar and not a power conditioning or surge protecting power strip it is perfectly fine to have devices plugged into the same strip as the PLM. As far a what power strip to use: You want to make sure that it is just a powers strip without any other conditioning and filtering capabilities. You don't want the strip to be filtering any of the PLM powerline signal from the rest of the house. The less money you spend on a plug strip usually relates one with just the basics of power in and poser out with a switch to turn the whole strip on and off.

Archived