Home Energy Monitoring

dougos2

Is there any Insteon product that monitors the whole house energy usage or maybe just an appliance or two. Possibly it could interface with your device and I could monitor remotely the energy usage and even the energy usage of each device as I turn them on (change in total usage).

Hello dougos2,

Unfortunately, INSTEON devices do not provide their usage information. This said, however, we are looking at a few off the shelf products that provide this information (whole house or breaker based). Hopefully, shortly we'll support integration with one of these products.

With kind regards,

Michel

Is there any Insteon product that monitors the whole house energy usage or maybe just an appliance or two. Possibly it could interface with your device and I could monitor remotely the energy usage and even the energy usage of each device as I turn them on (change in total usage).

Do you know if the TED plays nice with Insteon? Someone on Cocoontech is having problems with the TED and X-10 and is thinking of switching to UPB.

I don't have any experience with this device, but yeah, that would be a deal breaker for sure!

Michel: you had mentioned that you are looking at a few products that do electricity usage monitoring. Is there a shortlist of products that look promising?

-Jim

Do you know if the TED plays nice with Insteon? Someone on Cocoontech is having problems with the TED and X-10 and is thinking of switching to UPB.

If the TED could work with the ISY it would be an awesome compliment. Currently Mainlobby does but it is quite expensive.

I have no experience with the TED either, but according to their FAQ it should not interfere.

Q: Will TED interfere with X-10 and other home automation systems?

A: TED has its own data transmission stream that should not interfere with any other home automation products.

If the TED could work with the ISY it would be an awesome compliment. Currently Mainlobby does but it is quite expensive.

I have no experience with the TED either, but according to their FAQ it should not interfere.

A: TED has its own data transmission stream that should not interfere with any other home automation products.

I know I saw that on their website but there are a few places on the net where people mention X-10 problems with the TED. Mario at Cinemar also stated he has seen posts about X-10 problems and he is now a TED Dealer packaged with Mainlobby.

I would like to see a few more people with positive experiences with the TED and Insteon before I throw some money at it. If they had better Customer Service I would buy it and try it and if it didnt work return it.

I will wait to see what UDI has for this for now.

I would gladly Beta test it :)

Hi Jim,

TED is surely one of them; other - more expensive and more exotic solutions - include Zigbee meters.

With kind regards,

Michel

I don't have any experience with this device, but yeah, that would be a deal breaker for sure!

Michel: you had mentioned that you are looking at a few products that do electricity usage monitoring. Is there a shortlist of products that look promising?

-Jim

I know I saw that on their website but there are a few places on the net where people mention X-10 problems with the TED. Mario at Cinemar also stated he has seen posts about X-10 problems and he is now a TED Dealer packaged with Mainlobby.

I would like to see a few more people with positive experiences with the TED and Insteon before I throw some money at it. If they had better Customer Service I would buy it and try it and if it didnt work return it.

I've been using TED for about a month now and seen no problems with co-existing with Insteon or the few remaining X10 devices I have.

I've been using TED for about a month now and seen no problems with co-existing with Insteon or the few remaining X10 devices I have.

Cool... thanks for replying!

I am thinking Brultech is a better option in that it does not rely on power line communications and would have little chances of impacting Insteon, X-10, or UPB etc.

I am also concerned about so many people posting negative comments about the TED Customer Service. I think Brultech sees this as chance to push further into the market (thus their special offer on another forum).

Most likely I will go with the Brultech as well when the offer is out.

I am thinking Brultech is a better option in that it does not rely on power line communications and would have little chances of impacting Insteon, X-10, or UPB etc.

I am also concerned about so many people posting negative comments about the TED Customer Service. I think Brultech sees this as chance to push further into the market (thus their special offer on another forum).

Most likely I will go with the Brultech as well when the offer is out.

I would also prefer a device that does not utilize the powerline for communications.

Digger: would you kindly share a link to the discussion about Brultech's upcoming offer?

Thanks,

-Jim

I have been using TED for several months and I'm pretty impressed. It does interfere with some of my X10 devices, however, I have had no issues with my Insteon devices. They have a well-defined API document which is great for developers looking to integrate TED's data/reporting with their products. It was pretty simple to setup, I did it myself in about 1/2 hour.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gary,

I am not sure but you can surely contact them directly and ask. They are really good at responding to customer requests.

With kind regards,

Michel

Is Brultech offerng any deals at this time? I'd love to get one of thses and I love saving money even more.

By-the-way, I found the deal Digger was looking at.

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=10985

Archived