Monitoring Power Status with Time Delay?

GuyBooth

I am looking for a way to "tell" my system that power has been restored after an outage, possibly a very brief one.

The ISY will not have experienced the outage since it is on a UPS, but I have modules on the system that "drop out" (on purpose) when power to the system is lost.

Best way I can think of is to have some kind of time delay relay or module plugged into an outlet that is connected to the sensor of an IOLinc - but it must have a time delay of, say, a second or more to allow the IOLinc to power up before being triggered.

Has anyone tried to do this? Any ideas on a good time delay module to do this?

Check these out: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Relays_-z-_Timers/Timer_Relays_-z-_Counters_-z-_Tachometers?gclid=CMfvvcfN278CFQQQ7AodigwAOg&s_kwcid=AL!3683!3!20411684543!p!!g!!time%20delay%20relay&ef_id=7FZPqCVbiQkAAA85:20140723140632:s

A number of these are capable of doing what you want.

Another thought, I have  my RaspberryPi's set  a variable on the ISY when they boot.  I could use this for detecting power restored if an RPi was not on a UPS.

-Xathros

I am looking for a way to "tell" my system that power has been restored after an outage, possibly a very brief one.

The ISY will not have experienced the outage since it is on a UPS, but I have modules on the system that "drop out" (on purpose) when power to the system is lost.

Best way I can think of is to have some kind of time delay relay or module plugged into an outlet that is connected to the sensor of an IOLinc - but it must have a time delay of, say, a second or more to allow the IOLinc to power up before being triggered.

I don't like my equipment connected by an RS232 ground to be on different power supplies personally. Now I don't know what galvanic isolation the OEMs have provided on the ports but lightning discharge disturbances and grid ferroresonance effects from switching on the grid usually don't care.

The ISY recovers very well with it's INITialisation variable storage so I am not sure how the UPS benefits you.

My ISY994i notifies me via SMS that a reboot has occurred with the time and date. I am still mentally working on the outage time report.

I have a Macromatic Time Delay relay TR-60226 connected to a spare input port on my EZIO8SA. The delayed-on interval is set to 4 minutes to allow household power as well as my Insteon network time to stabilize after power is turned back on. Upon receipt of an ON message from the EZIO a program runs in the ISY to send me a notification that my Insteon network is back up.  

In my case I had a 12 VAC version of this relay leftover from a previous project so I am powering it with a small step-down transformer from line voltage. The relay is available for different supply voltages if desired.

Neil

Archived