1 Wire Temperature - Hooking up to multiple devices

Teken

Now you got me thinking! A 9v (NiMH?) battery with a trickle charger running the CAI board could make a good UPS backed system.

or

even a dioded-in 9v alkaline battery for grid failure carry over?

OTOH: When  the grid is out not much else is functioning. :-P

The energy still has to come from somewhere and the device linked to doesn't store or produce power.  Again if you are considering running the CAI off a 9v battery it should last about an hour. We haven't touched the Peukert factor.

The main SWE3 sensor chip is the DS2438z chip rated at 50-100uA but even a 10K pullup is going to draw 0.9mA not to mention the HIH-40xx humidity sensor. With a 2mA draw you could expect about 250 hours= 10 days out of a 9v battery rated at 500mAh

.http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS2438.pdf

Now you got me thinking! A 9v (NiMH?) battery with a trickle charger running the CAI board could make a good UPS backed system.

or

even a dioded-in 9v alkaline battery for grid failure carry over?

OTOH: When  the grid is out not much else is functioning. :-P

All good questions and considerations for sure. I apologize if I didn't explain what I planned to use to power the other end of the device listed.

As you guessed I may very well use one of three possible solutions which are simply based on my desire to deploy one over the others.  :mrgreen:

I could go with a high output rechargeable 9 volt battery. As you indicated it would be tied to a trickle charger long term. Another is powering the device with a massive Optima Yellow Top 12 volt car battery! :-P 

This too would be placed on a battery tender trickle charger for long term use. The last option is to use one of 30 APC 12 volt battery cells I have stocked piled. The last two obviously would provide enough power for months if not an entire year with out issue.

The last option is taking any of a dozen power supplies I have laying around and powering the devices. The only reason I wanted to go with the 9 volt battery was to consolidate the entire package and simply run a power line to keep the system charged.

I am open to suggestions no matter how ugly or elegant!

Thats why its call a project and trial and error. :mrgreen:  

Archived