ISY-994i - Not detecting one of my Insteon devices

I recently installed some Insteon devices and an ISY-994i.  I am new to home automation, so I apologize if this is a dumb question.  The ISY controller is not detecting one of my switches.  It had no trouble seeing my lamp modules and other switches.  Do I need some type of access point?  Thanks.

I recently installed some Insteon devices and an ISY-994i.  I am new to home automation, so I apologize if this is a dumb question.  The ISY controller is not detecting one of my switches.  It had no trouble seeing my lamp modules and other switches.  Do I need some type of access point?  Thanks.

Hello Chris87,

What type of device is this? Also have you bridged the two sides of your electrical feed with at least two dual band devices? Performing the four tap phase coupling test is the only method to confirm proper bridging.

Hello Chris87,

What type of device is this? Also have you bridged the two sides of your electrical feed with at least two dual band devices? Performing the four tap phase coupling test is the only method to confirm proper bridging.

It is an Insteon toggle switch.  I haven't bridged the two sides of the electrical feed.  I wasn't sure the best way to go about doing this.  I know that Smarthome sells a product, but I didn't know if this would solve my issue (2466SW).  I assume that it would be good practice to do this?

2466SW is a power line signal only and not dual band. So you may need a phase coupler. Best was the Access Points but I believe they are now replaced by the new Range Extenders. That should also do what is needed.

You could still have a power line noise maker or signal sucker to find but I would try a pair of range extenders first.

Is this the product that I would need: 2992-222?  That will bridge both sides too, correct?  I really appreciate your help.

Yes, technically any Insteon dual band device will assist you in bridging both sides of the electrical feed. Please note, if you have singal suckers / noise makers as Brian H has mentioned. A Access Point (AP) / Range Extender will not resolve the communication problem.

If you haven't already purchased a Filter Linc please do so: http://www.smarthome.com/1626-10/FilterLinc-10-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter/p.aspx

Some basics to keep in mind with any powerline technology to enjoy the best reliability in terms of fast, consistent, and reliable control.

1. Bridge both sides of the single phase electrical system - Always perform and confirm the phase coupling via the four tap bridging test outlined in the users manual.

2. Identify Noise makers / Signal makers: The most common things that cause endless headaches are the following but not limited to. UPS, Cell charger, Computer Systems, Baby Monitors (on the same frequency), some LED / CFL bulbs, etc.

3. Filter Linc: This great little device will almost 90% of the time filter any sort of noise makers / signal suckers. Always have a few on hand to test to see the difference. 

4. PLM: Your PLM that attaches to the ISY should never be placed on a UPS back up or any sort of power bar with filtering built in.

5. Always factory reset any brand new device prior to installation. You should always select the delete all existing links when enrolling the new device. This will ensure any X10, or any factory testing has been removed from the unit.

6. Install: It goes with out saying all of your electrical connections need to be tight, firm, and sound when using the wire nuts. Simply using the wire nuts to lock the cables in place is wrong and does not allow a firm / tight connection. Always use linesmen pliers to combine all the leads together then place the wire nut to secure in place.

7. Always use the latest ISY-994 firmware as it often resolves previous bugs, and adds in new features and newly released Insteons devices not previously supported.

Yes a pair of 2992-222 Range Extenders should do the coupling.

As Teken pointed out. If some of your Insteon Modules are Dual Band {Insteon RF and Power Line Signaling} they would also work.

Make sure you do the built in communications tests. To verify proper coupling.

I did notice. The 2992-222 sales pages have NO Quick or Full Users Manuals on them yet. :roll:

Archived