New Meter GE I210+c Help please

drummerfor440

Today Comed came out and replaced my meter, it is as described in the subject a General Electric I210+c (images attached).
 It is a silver springs enabled meter, however there seems to be a lack of information on what people had to do with their power companys. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how they were able to get thier system connected? Have you had to use any special wording to work with your company. I have already purchased and installed the ZS module into my ISY.

post-5199-0-01812700-1407282258_thumb.jpg

post-5199-0-16832800-1407282393_thumb.jpg

It is one of the new Smart meters that transmits usage data back to the utility via RF. It also allows the utility company to disable your power remotely.  Some of the utility companies allow the end user to access the usage data via their web site. It also may be possible to have the utility company provision the meter which would allow you to access the real time data via Zigbee and possibly the ISY (the Zigbee radio module would be required for the ISY).  Give your power company a call for more info.

UPDATE: The meter you have may not have a built-in Zigbee radio. I believe it uses 3G/4G cell sites to transmit its data back to the utility, if that's the case then you would only be able to access usage data from the utilities website assuming they provide access to end users.

Thank you all for your speedy responses,

UPDATE: The meter you have may not have a built-in Zigbee radio. I believe it uses 3G/4G cell sites to transmit its data back to the utility, if that's the case then you would only be able to access usage data from the utilities website assuming they provide access to end users.

The Silversprings NIC installed in the meter is part of the 300 (314 to be exact, FCC ID: OWS-NIC514) Series which supposedly will support the Zigbe Smart Energy profile 1.1

http://www.silverspringnet.com/pdfs/SilverSpring-Datasheet-Communications-Modules.pdf

Hi drummer440,

The first thing you need to do is to make sure ComEd actually allows you to connect a HAN device to the meter. If not, there's really no point in doing anything else.

Do you already have a 994iZS Series?

With kind regards,
Michel

Every time i call ComEd, they pass me to their "Smart Meter" department where the people only know general knowledge. as for the model, i purchased and installed the upgrade module as well as updated my firmware to match the ZS platform.

Some of the utility companies don't have their smart meter software up and running and therefore know little about its capabilities. The meter must be provisioned via the utility company software in order for you to read its data via your Zigbee radio.  I would try reaching the department head at ComEd, someone there must be knowledgeable.

This link has more info on your meter program

https://www.comed.com/technology/smart-meter-smart-grid/Pages/smart-meter.aspx

• 4 months later...

Archived