Upgrade - ISY not responding

ergodic

I got two leak sensors and was trying to link them. I put one into link mode, ran the new device link and the ISY would send three TX packets out with no response and then report it couldn't determine the engine version. Both sensors did the same thing.

So I decided to try upgrading from 4.0.5 to the current firmware (4.2.10.)

That backup/upgrade went fine and I cleared the Java cache. But when I logged in I got a pop-up that the ISY was in "Safe Mode" and unable to communicate with the PLM. 

After a couple of tries I went and power-cycled both the PLM and the ISY.

So now when I start the admin console, I just get the three-tab blue admin screen with nothing on it, and no login prompt. :-(

What now?

I got two leak sensors and was trying to link them. I put one into link mode, ran the new device link and the ISY would send three TX packets out with no response and then report it couldn't determine the engine version. Both sensors did the same thing.

So I decided to try upgrading from 4.0.5 to the current firmware (4.2.10.)

That backup/upgrade went fine and I cleared the Java cache. But when I logged in I got a pop-up that the ISY was in "Safe Mode" and unable to communicate with the PLM. 

After a couple of tries I went and power-cycled both the PLM and the ISY.

So now when I start the admin console, I just get the three-tab blue admin screen with nothing on it, and no login prompt. :-(

What now?

hmm.......This sounds similar to a previous poster's complaint with this version.

I'm using http://<lan-address>/admin , but the UDI URL gave me the same issue.

After a long afternoon of randomly rebooting and power-cycling the ISY and the PLM in various combinations I was finally able to get into a working admin console. The ISY showed no status for any device, even though I no longer got the "safe mode" warning dialog and the ISY diagnostic showed it was connected to the PLM.

I took that window of opportunity to restore 4.0.5 firmware back and everything is working fine again. Think I'll stay there for a while. Thanks very much for the suggestions. Wish I had more information to offer.

My guess (and only a guess) is that the PLM got itself stuck in some weird condition as a result of something during the upgrade. Looking back, possibly I needed to leave the PLM unpowered for a minute or two to fully discharge everything - something I never specifically tried.

One interesting note is I'm now able to link the leak detectors just fine. Go figure.

The fact that you were able to restore to 4.0.5 and everything is working shows that both the PLM ans ISY are okay.

The fact that you needed a backup to restore everything shows why a backup is needed-most especially for such a processor intensive and sensitive task. Although unusual, sometimes an update doesn't "take."

I'd try again. If you're a bit leery about 4.2.10, try an earlier version, even 4.1. If any upgrade works, then you're ahead. If it doesn't, you have a backup :?

As a follow-up, I've discovered I still had a problem - none of the scenes were working. I've tried to reset/restore the PLM several times but all the scene tests still failed. And now after several resets/power-cycle/restore efforts I now seem to have a system that can't even read out device links.

At this point I have to assume I have a failed PLM. Possibly the upgrade exposed a problem with it I wasn't seeing. Or it created a failure mode in some way, though I have no idea how that would be possible. Anyway I'm going to get a replacement today and see if that fixes this. Not looking forward to a restore with a different PLM address, but not much choice.

What I think - and hope - is the last word on this: my PLM was definitely defective. I replaced it this afternoon (a V99 with a new V9B) and was then able to run the ISY "replace PLM".

A few devices failed to respond on the PLM reprogram, all were on the same side of the powerline. So I replaced the access point on that leg and everything was 100% again.

Still no clear idea what happened here though. Obviously it's too much of a coincidence for the PLM to have failed at exactly the same time I did the ISY firmware upgrade. But it also seems unlikely that an ISY firmware upgrade by itself could cause a PLM issue. So, having had numerous problems with PLMs in the past I'm leaning to the idea that the two aren't directly related: that the ISY firmware upgrade failed for whatever unknown reason, and then one of my efforts to power-cycle or reset the PLM to correct that induced a PLM failure. But that's just a guess.

I've also noticed that response time for wireless events like remotelinc clicks is noticeably faster now (my wife noticed it also). Don't know if that's the new PLM or the AP.

Archived