Unable to restore / replace IRLinc 2411R

andrewm

As part of my recovery process after replacing a failed PLM, I have gone through all my devices and compared the link databases with ISY's own tables. This revealed a mismatch in my IRlinc 2411R's link database. Unfortunately I was unable to then restore the IRLinc - I kept on getting failures during the restore process, even after performing a factory reset on the IRlinc.

Thinking my IRLinc had gone bad, I purchased a new one and added it to ISY as a new device. But now right-clicking on my old IRLinc doesn't give any option to replace it with the new one.

It's been a long time since I added my original IRLinc so I'd not remembered about any special linking procedures. Now looking at the docs makes me wonder if the restore / replace procedures for IRLincs are different? Is it significant that the nodes for the IRLinc are created dynamically - my old factory reset'd IRLinc shows multiple nodes in ISY and the new one only has a single node? Does that screw up the restore / replace?

(This is using ISY 4.2.10)

- Andrew

Ah, apologies. It should be as long as both report the same category/sub-category.

Hi Michel,

Well that's good news - or would be if it worked!

The first node on my old device is as follows (there are 5 others, because of the buttons I have defined):

<node flag="128">
    <address>F 5A 50 1</address>
    <name>FR - Remote A</name>
    <type>3.6.0.0</type>
    <enabled>true</enabled>
    <deviceClass>0</deviceClass>
    <wattage>0</wattage>
    <dcPeriod>0</dcPeriod>
    <pnode>F 5A 50 1</pnode>
    <ELK_ID>I08</ELK_ID>
    <property id="ST" value=" " formatted=" " uom="%/on/off"/>
</node>

The only node on my new device is as follows:

<node flag="128">
    <address>22 7B 56 0</address>
    <name>NewIrLinc-22.7B.56.0</name>
    <type>3.6.64.0</type>
    <enabled>true</enabled>
    <deviceClass>0</deviceClass>
    <wattage>0</wattage>
    <dcPeriod>0</dcPeriod>
    <pnode>22 7B 56 0</pnode>
    <ELK_ID>O12</ELK_ID>
    <property id="ST" value=" " formatted=" " uom="%/on/off"/>
</node>

The types are not identical, but I don't know if they are identical enough?

I don't get the option to replace my old with my new device. Attempting to restore my old device results in an error as the attached log shows.

So if the 2411R is restoreable / replaceable, the fact I can't restore mine and I get an error in the log implies it's probably bad? But then if the reported types are close enough, which can't I do a replace with the new device?

- Andrew

ISY-Events-Log.v4.2.10__Sun 2014.09.28 02.07.12 PM.txt

Hi Andrew,

Sincere apologies for the confusion on my part:

... it’s not possible to replace & restore an IRLincRX because we don’t store any of the actual IR codes etc., just links. The IR code setup is done directly with the device and is hidden from us.

As for the IRLincTX … We should be able to replace/restore an IRLincTX because we do store all of the information for that.

Again, I am so very sorry for the confusion.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Thanks for the information - I'm glad it's operating as expected.

I do find it a bit strange though the way the IrLincRx works in comparison to the RemoteLinc remote control. The IRLincRX has only a finite set of IR codes that its remote transmits - it's not like it learns any old code from any remote.  So it is basically similar to the RemoteLinc, in that the device subnoodes are predictable. In fact the IrLincRx has an advantage over the RemoteLinc in that the IR receiver unit is continually connected to the Insteon network, as it's not a battery device. Yet the RemoteLinc subnodes are created when the device is added to ISY, but that's not the case with the IrLincRx where the subnodes are only created in ISY on a button-by-button basis. I presume this is more of an Insteon issue though, rather than an ISY issue?

- Andrew

Thanks Lee,

I stand corrected - I hadn't realized it handled more than the credit card remote codes, which in my case are programmed into my universal remote. I agree 511 nodes would be a little much to pre-add to ISY!

It would be nice if the IRLinc pre-assigned the 12 nodes for the standard credit card remote in its 2nd database, in which case ISY could optionally pre-populate them when the device is added, But it sounds like that's not the way it works. What a pity - I guess I'll have to do this the long way.

- Andrew

Archived