Email Notification Problem

smokegrub

Yesterday evening email notifications were being successfully sent. This morning they have failed. I have been using the Default setting in Emails/Notifications w/o problem for months. I tried not using the Default settings and I get the same message when I run a test: Mail Server Failure [unsupported authentication method]. When I test my email conventionally it works fine.

I have had several settings in the Admin Console change inexplicably since I started using 4.2.10.

The email mysteriously began working again but now the local IP was dropped by the Admin Console. Just another in a growing list of bizarre things that have been happening. I have submitted a ticket to UDI. I suspect I am going to have to replace the firmware.

Michel:

The email problem disappeared last evening, but it has reappeared today. Moreover, I have had numerous other bizarre things happening. For example, last evening when I tried to load the Admin Console I could not because the local IP address had disappeared. I manually added the address and opened the Console but that has never happened before. Also, when linking new devices, adding or changing programs, etc. changes are occurring with other devices and/or programs that are entirely unrelated. Thus far I have resolved these with Write Updates or Queries but the fact they occurred is alarming. I have a ticket submitted and, hopefully, this can be resolved quickly.

Thanks for your feedback.

I lost email notifications  at 8:09 GMT, Is this from the server upgrades as mentioned above ?. Also upgraded to newest version and still no luck. I assume by this all notifications are run through UD, is there a way for local routing  of notifications ?

If you can get it to relay out via Comcast do let me know how... All I get are server timeouts and random errors. The UDI service has been great, until this weekend. I did say I would help figure out why I can't get it out via Office 365, but that slipped off my to-do list. Sorry Michel.

So as of yesterday, I began to have the same issues. Didn't realize every one else was having communication issues too. Although I don't receive emails, but none of my text messages are coming through either. I have tried resetting my settins, but nothing has helped.

So every time I send test email or text, I receive a mail server failure

Unsupported authentication method.

Same problem here.  Alerts by e-mail using UD default SMTP stopped working on the weekend for me.  Test message using default is reporting same "Mail Server Failure".  Hard power reset not working.  Any other solutions?

TIA,

Jay

Just wanted to report back that notifications do seem to be working again as of last night.  The strange thing is that I've never been able to get them working using any configuration other than the default/automatic one - I have access to two SMTP servers that I use for a number of other things and I always get connection errors.

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve been using the ISY 994i for a year or two now for basic turning on and off of lights. I had not been using the notification feature. I recently purchased a water alarm and in setting up notifications, I get a “mail server failure – server not responding” error. I’ve tried both the default setting and then entering my own SMTP server information, same result. My regular email is working fine. My firmware is v.4.0.5 and UI v.4.1.1. The Error Log shows the following: User Code Message Sat 2014/11/15 12:49:38 PM           System  -50001    -6.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Hi camron,

I am so very sorry to hear. The error code (-6) means that ISY could not communicate what that port:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Errors_And_Error_Messages#SMTP_Errors

My suggestions:

1. If you have setup ISY with a static IP address, please do make sure your gateway and DNS are correct. In short, does ISY have access to the Internet or not?

2. If you have setup access filters on your router (such as parental controls), please do make sure that ISY is not included in the list

3. Try the default till you get everything working (as it uses the most simple SMTP communications possible) then move to your own SMTP settings

In all likelihood ISY does not have access to the Internet and thus all the issues. You might want to go to Configuration tab | Clock and click on Synchronize Now. If that also fails, then ISY definitely does not have access to the Internet and something is blocking it.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 2 weeks later...

i, too, am having send e-mail and text message failures.

• This has NOTHING to do with Universal Devices e-mail servers. I have always used one of my own ISP e-mail and mobile phone carrier text services.
  • My configuration does basic home automation using "Programs only". The messages are all sent through "Notification" statements in programs.
  • Both e-mail and text message worked properly for many months and quit working some time ago. I do not know exactly when the function stopped working because I use the Notifications primarily when testing. I turn them off (with a logical condition) to avoid unwanted messages chatter.
  • Nothing I have tried has had any positive effect.
    • The ISY is hardwired to my router and has a very reliable connections. The network connection parameters are all as accepted and as work for about 20 other connected devices in the house for all sorts of Internet traffic.
    • I can synchronize the ISY's clock with an Internet time server by pressing "Synchronize Now". Therefore, by the logic in a previous post, the ISY must be connected to the Internet.
    • I have carefully entered my e-mail user ID, password my ISP's send-mail parameters. I have successfully logged into a web session e-mail logon using my ID and password. This same information has been cut-and-pasted into the ISY SMTP e-mail settings  -- so the same ones are being used -- does not work
    • When I run the program "Notification" statement it seems to complete but no message is ever delivered to the target user.
    • When I press the "Test" button on the "Email/Notifications" - "Customization" panel I receive a pop-up message saying:
           Error
       Mail Server Failure
       (Password not accepted)
      ... the last two lines are displayed twice...
    • I have worked through every documented combination of SMTP Settings that I can imagine. None work.
    • I have also tried sending a text message through my mobile phone carrier. I get the same message as above, but the error text is not repeated.
      • Getting a password failure when sending a text message does not make any sense. The message is sent directly to my "phoneNumber@carrierTextService" function. No password is required so how can there be a password failure?
    • Since both e-mail and text suffer from the same malady. Either:
      • The ISY is running into, and reporting, an internal condition that it reports as a password failure.  
        Or,
      • Both e-mail and text messaging are getting through to the provider and the provider is responding with an error.

A number of users are having troubles similar to this. My "sniff test" says there are too many of us having this Sudden problem for it not to have some basis in reality. Would someone in Tech Support please look into it.

If you need any more detail I will be happy to provide it. 

i, too, am having send e-mail and text message failures.

• This has NOTHING to do with Universal Devices e-mail servers. I have always used one of my own ISP e-mail and mobile phone carrier text services.
  • My configuration does basic home automation using "Programs only". The messages are all sent through "Notification" statements in programs.
  • Both e-mail and text message worked properly for many months and quit working some time ago. I do not know exactly when the function stopped working because I use the Notifications primarily when testing. I turn them off (with a logical condition) to avoid unwanted messages chatter.
  • Nothing I have tried has had any positive effect.
    • The ISY is hardwired to my router and has a very reliable connections. The network connection parameters are all as accepted and as work for about 20 other connected devices in the house for all sorts of Internet traffic.
    • I can synchronize the ISY's clock with an Internet time server by pressing "Synchronize Now". Therefore, by the logic in a previous post, the ISY must be connected to the Internet.
    • I have carefully entered my e-mail user ID, password my ISP's send-mail parameters. I have successfully logged into a web session e-mail logon using my ID and password. This same information has been cut-and-pasted into the ISY SMTP e-mail settings  -- so the same ones are being used -- does not work
    • When I run the program "Notification" statement it seems to complete but no message is ever delivered to the target user.
    • When I press the "Test" button on the "Email/Notifications" - "Customization" panel I receive a pop-up message saying:

Error

Mail Server Failure

(Password not accepted)

... the last two lines are displayed twice...

• I have worked through every documented combination of SMTP Settings that I can imagine. None work.
    • I have also tried sending a text message through my mobile phone carrier. I get the same message as above, but the error text is not repeated.
      • Getting a password failure when sending a text message does not make any sense. The message is sent directly to my "phoneNumber@carrierTextService" function. No password is required so how can there be a password failure?
    • Since both e-mail and text suffer from the same malady. Either:
      • The ISY is running into, and reporting, an internal condition that it reports as a password failure.  

Or,

• Both e-mail and text messaging are getting through to the provider and the provider is responding with an error.

A number of users are having troubles similar to this. My "sniff test" says there are too many of us having this Sudden problem for it not to have some basis in reality. Would someone in Tech Support please look into it.

If you need any more detail I will be happy to provide it. 

First thing is to pull the logs from the ISY and forward them to UDI and create a new ticket and reference this thread. Next confirm both the firmware and UI both say 4.2.18 which you need to be on. Note SSL / TLS encryption has changed on the ISY and this may be one possible reason your ISY fails to send the mail.

If you do forum search you will see lots of information as it pertains to the above.

NOTE: Create a dedicated gmail account for the ISY and use this as the SMTP destination and report back success / failure. Please note you should try ports 587 & 465 and see if there is success / failures.

Each time you select the test email please take a look at the error logs and compare it to the Wiki. This will help narrow down the root cause. 

Hello rjwheele,

I am so very sorry to hear. Please note that most ISPs have already disabled SSL so, if you have not yet upgraded to 4.2.18, then I strongly recommend trying that first.

Also, one of a the best tools for debugging mail issues is the error log and specifically the type of errors you are getting:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Errors_And_Error_Messages#SMTP_Errors

With kind regards,

Michel

Teken,

THANK YOU!

With kind regards,

Michel

• 4 months later...

Today, I'm seeing lost emails from my ISY 994i, v4.2.18. Text messages are running 20 to 30 minutes late.

At first I thought just a bad day on the internet. I don't think so now.

All my communication where working fine for some months now today it is really bad.... 

Even the test messages are late or not working......

Is anybody experiencing this ?

Es1400

Today, I'm seeing lost emails from my ISY 994i, v4.2.18. Text messages are running 20 to 30 minutes late.

At first I thought just a bad day on the internet. I don't think so now.

All my communication where working fine for some months now today it is really bad....

Even the test messages are late or not working......

Is anybody experiencing this ?

Es1400

I have not seen any mail related issues from the ISY Series Controller. But have seen a complete black out of forum post updates coming from the UDI site.

Everything stopped about 4:00 PM CST. This morning there were 72 alerts or updated posts which I have subscribed to that finally came in.

I was really hoping this move to Amazon would resolve these forum issues.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Archived