Why do dual band devices "flutter" than lock?

Kevin Connolly

Small world. I was born in Northern New Jersey.

Incandescent bulbs are gone as far as I have seen. They do make a Halogen replacement for them. That squeak under the Energy Requirements.

I have a few 72 watt ones that replaced the old 100 watt incandescent. Where I didn't want to use an LED bulb. Though LEDs are getting much more affordable. Most of mine are Philips, Cree and Sylvania.

I did rewire a few 4 foot Fluorescent fixtures to use a Naturaled brand LED T8/T12 tube. They are driven by 120 volts AC directly and the ballast is bypassed. Down side is. If you ever put an original tube back into it. It shorts the 120 volts AC and required a unshunted socket to mate with the replacement tube. As the 120 Volts AC is connected to the pins on one end. I have not tested them for noise or signal sucking.

Kevin Connolly

The Fluorescent and CFL's can be problematic as their ballasts can generate powerline noise that can interfere with Insteon signals.

Try the CREE led bulbs sold at Home Depot. They are well priced and compatible with the Insteon dimmers. Some of the other LED brands have a tendency to buzz and flicker when dimmed. 

Techman

I believe Cree's only being sold through Home Depot may have expired.

I now see them on other web sites. Though all of mine here from Home Depot.

I also have some of the Switch Lighting Infinia bulbs. Yes the ones with the liquid cooling.

Life time warranty but since they folded. Not much good. :roll:

I believe Cree's only being sold through Home Depot may have expired.

I now see them on other web sites. Though all of mine here from Home Depot.

I also have some of the Switch Lighting Infinia bulbs. Yes the ones with the liquid cooling.

Life time warranty but since they folded. Not much good. :roll:

On Long Island the Cree's are subsidized by PSEG.  So if you venture down here for any reason and stop in a Home Depot you can get as many as you want.

There is no external antenna for Insteon.   All Insteon powerline and Dual Band RF comm is done ISY to/from the PLM.   Where the other devices that had chatter on the same circuit?  Thinking of line or neutral connection in the power panel if they were on the same circuit.  

Thanks for the home depot tip!

Is there a lot of line noise with Halogen? I have some under cabinet lighting (that I inherited with the house) that's Halogen. I haven't put it on an Insteon switch as of yet.

Halogen is another form of incandescent. No noise generated.

Halogen is another form of incandescent. No noise generated.

Unless they are low voltage Halogen - then the transformer may introduce some noise or cause issues with dimmers.

-Xathros

Roger that.

Another thing that I noticed is that: if I turn on a light via ek ISY the light switches on but the other switches tied to it via the ISY statuses don't change? If I do it through the scene than everything changes correctly. I guess it's kind of like that old saying: Hey Doc, my arm hurts when I move it like this...haha. Just curious though why that would be.

Normal Insteon operation. Turn an individual device On/Off, that device alone reacts, regardless of whether linked to other devices. The Scene has to be turned On/Off for the linked (Scene) devices to respond together.

EDIT: pressing the button/paddle turns the Scene On/Off as that is the only way an Insteon device can react. Only applications communicating through a PLM have the option to control an individual device with Direct commands or a Group (Scene) of devices with Scene commands.

Easy mistake to make. There are various rules/actions which apply to what happens when a physical device is interacted with versus what an application can do through a PLM. All the rules for how an I/O Linc Relay responds in the three Momentary modes do not apply if Direct commands are used. Also Smarthome does not document that behavior in the User Guide because Insteon devices cannot send Direct commands (except for PLM).

Archived