No Heartbeats for Insteon Hidden Door Sensors

shannong

I have three 2845-222 Hidden Door Sensors. I'm running v4.2.16.

I removed all three of them and added them back to the ISY so I could gain the Low Battery and Hearbeat nodes. They did appear.

I set the Heartbeat interval to 5 min to test it and the programs I was going to write for them. However, none of the sensors have registered a Heartbeat. All On/Off events are seen by the ISY so it's unlikely a comm issue. Also, I pulled one and put it near a dual-band device on the same circuit as the ISY. Nada.

I searched the forums and didn't see anyone else complaining about the Heartbeats missing or not working for these sensors.

Thoughts?

I normally run Heartbeat at the longest interval but moved one back to 5 minutes.   Have not received a Heartbeat in over 30 minutes.  Makes me wonder if it actually supports such a short interval.

EDIT:  after more than 2 hours and no Heartbeat went back to the longest value.   It could take 24 hours before knowing the Heartbeat is back to where it was. 

A Heartbeat=On indicates a Heartbeat message received. Mine show On from an earlier Heartbeat message before I changed the Heartbeat timing to 5 minutes where no Heartbeat message received.

I just rebooted an ISY with 4.2.16 and both Hidden Door Sensors came up blank. I think I have seen one of the Insteon devices with a Heartbeat node cycle between On and Off messages but not sure if that was a Hidden Door Sensor. I check for both On and Off commands in the Program that monitors the Heartbeat node but not sure that is necessary.

post-707-0-60818600-1413488778_thumb.jpg

The two sensors that formerly were blank now show as "Off".  For some reason, it started sending them at 530pm today and has been sending an '"Off' every 5 minutes since.

I'm guessing that the sensor doesn't use the new heartbeat interval until the next scheduled time based on the current setting. It defaults to 21 hours so it waited 21 hours until it started using the new 5 min interval.

I'm guessing if I increase it now it will begin using the interval in 5 min.

post-4668-0-11941400-1413501754_thumb.png

That sounds like a good answer to me, thanks. I don't know where mine was in the 21 hour cycle but it would have been luck if it had timed out during the few hours I waited.

I also suspect the On versus Off command on the Heartbeat depends on whether the door is open (On) or Closed (Off).

The Owner's Manual says it "broadcasts its status" in the description for the heartbeat. So I agree with your assumption the Off vs On heartbeat message is the current state of the sensor. So any programs written for the heartbeat would need to watch for both events, much like the leak sensors.

When I updated it from 5 min to 21 hrs it sent one more update and went silent. Looks like the mystery is solved about no messages and the Off status.

Thanks for your help.

Archived