Release 2.6.7 is now available

Michel Kohanim

Release 2.6.7 beta is now available and may be downloaded immediately.

For fixes and enhancements, please peruse our beta forum at http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=930. You may also post your comments/questions and issues relating to 2.6.7 to the same forum.

IMPORTANT

1. For those upgrading from release 2.6, please note that releases 2.6.1 and above will use default HTTP/HTTPS ports of 80/443 respectively. As such, before upgrading Disable Internet Access

2. If you have used bookmarks, please update them accordingly. If you have problems finding ISY, try http://www.universal-devices.com/99i

3. If you are upgrading from 2.6.1, please make sure you export all your programs and store them in a safe place

4. As always, please take a backup of your ISY

Due to massive changes in this release, please do be kind enough to thoroughly test those functions most important to you specifically schedules, triggers, , Web Services, system lockups, and SMTP defined account.

INSTRUCTIONS

- Userid = isy

- Password = autoupdate

- For ISY-26, download the update from http://www.universal-devices.com/update ... nsteon.zip do not unzip

- For ISY-99i Series, download the update from http://www.universal-devices.com/update ... nsteon.zip do not unzip

- Login to Admin Console

- Choose Help->Manually Upgrade My Lighting and choose the file you downloaded in the previous step

- Important: After upgrading, please close Admin Console, close all web browser processes, clear your Java cache, and reopen Admin Console. If there are any web browser processes running, the Java cache will not be cleared.

LIMITATIONS

- None

I installed 2.6.7 with no apparent issues after backing up my previous set up etc. I cleared my java cache and restarted the admin console. All looks OK but when I attempt to make any changes or do anything within the console it locks up and the cursor hourglass indicates it is working.

This continues until I exit the console and empty the java cache and restart - then it does it again. I have sent some screen pixs separately to Michel on this, I cannot tell if the other programs are running since the console is effectively incapacitated!

Any comments or recommendations accepted!!

This is exciting, I have several applications for this...

But I must be missing something, I don't see how to do this?

I would assume that this is a new program Action, but when choosing an Action of Insteon and choosing the device in question, the drop-down appears to be the same as before, that's where I would assume to find items like "On Level", "Ramp Rate", along with boxes to put in the values?

g.

But I must be missing something, I don't see how to do this?

For the type of action, choose "Adjust Scene" instead of "Insteon".

Ok, got it. I actually wasn't getting that option in my menu, I had upgraded the ISY and cleared my Java cache. After rebooting my laptop and logging in to the ISY again I now have the option.

Thanks!

g.

Hi Mke

As i noted in my previous post my install was locked up initially. This apparently was related to the ISY going through all of the programs after the install before "releasing" the admin console to any new input. The console is now working and since one of my early AM programs was a QueryAll the status of all my devices has been updated. this was probably my big start up issue after the update was completed.

With 2.6.6 my ISY polled all device when rebooted. I'm finding that 2.6.7 does not do this on my ISY.

I assume I can get the same functionality by setting my 'Nightly Query' to 'run at reboot'.

Anyone else notice this change?

Ok, got it. I actually wasn't getting that option in my menu, I had upgraded the ISY and cleared my Java cache. After rebooting my laptop and logging in to the ISY again I now have the option.

Make sure to close all browser windows before clearing the Java cache.

I had a sunset miscalculation after updating from 2.6.6 to 2.6.7.

Saved my data

Updated.

closed My Lighting

Cleared Java Cache

Restarted My Lighting

In the Program Summary

My Night On Scene is Sunset -20 minutes turn on all devices.

Showed todays sunset as 07:10 PM next run for Night on was for 09/10/08 [missed todays] as 06:58 PM. I thought it would be closer to 06:48 PM

Release Notes said DST was a fix so I turned off DST then back on. Now Next run of Night on was showing 06:48 PM on 09/10/08

My location is a custom Longitude and Latitude.

Hi Brian,

Is this only the issue of wrong time in the programs or does the Admin Console also shows the wrong sunset time?

With kind regards,

Michel

I had a sunset miscalculation after updating from 2.6.6 to 2.6.7.

Saved my data

Updated.

closed My Lighting

Cleared Java Cache

Restarted My Lighting

In the Program Summary

My Night On Scene is Sunset -20 minutes turn on all devices.

Showed todays sunset as 07:10 PM next run for Night on was for 09/10/08 [missed todays] as 06:58 PM. I thought it would be closer to 06:48 PM

Release Notes said DST was a fix so I turned off DST then back on. Now Next run of Night on was showing 06:48 PM on 09/10/08

My location is a custom Longitude and Latitude.

From the Last Run Time I see it appears that my sunset triggered program ran about 10 minutes late yesterday. Next Scheduled Run is correct for today.

I installed 2.6.7 yesterday morning and did not change anything except the HTML Role. Thank you for that!

MikeB, my ISY definitely rebooted, queried all devices and ran the program catch-up.

Rand

I am having trouble getting subscribed. I haven't had a chance to do an extensive investigation yet, but so far I can't get through the initial "avalanche" of events when you first sign up. I thought it might be a timing problem (ISY sending events faster than I can handle them), but so far it doesn't look like that's it. I'm using the same code that runs flawlessly with 2.6.6. I will do more investigation, but I was wondering if anyone else is seeing similar problems.

LG

I am having trouble getting subscribed. I haven't had a chance to do an extensive investigation yet, but so far I can't get through the initial "avalanche" of events when you first sign up. I thought it might be a timing problem (ISY sending events faster than I can handle them), but so far it doesn't look like that's it. I'm using the same code that runs flawlessly with 2.6.6. I will do more investigation, but I was wondering if anyone else is seeing similar problems.

LG

I just checked and double checked and I'm not seeing any problems. When I subscribe, I get a node status event for each node and then start getting the _0 heartbeat events. It's working for both my plug-in code and if I just telnet to the ISY send the subscribe XML. I didn't have to change anything in my code after upgrading to 2.6.7. I am using the reuse socket and timeout infinite values for the subscription.

The Sunset yesterday was 7:10 PM. Missed the scheduled time yesterday so it showed today's of 6:58 PM before I toggled DST from On to Off then back On. It then showed todays as 6:48. Closer to what I expected

Today Sunset shows 7:08 PM and the night on time was where I expected it to be, 6:48 PM. -20 from Sunset.

Will try to observe when it happens today.

I have found the cause of my problem: When the ISY sends a long sequence of events after the initial subscription, it pauses after about four or five events, and then resumes sending. When my ASYNC connection detects this pause, it processes all the received data, and then starts another read. It appears that when 2.6.6 paused, it was (always) precisely between the end of one event and the start of the next event. However, 2.6.7 pauses at this location sometimes, and at other times it pauses in the middle of an event. My event processing code expects to receive only whole events, and can't cope with an event split between two transmissions. So I have to rework my code to accept split events.

Hope no one else has this problem.

LG

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update and yes, please do keep us posted. I would sincerely appreciate it.

With kind regards,

Michel

The Sunset yesterday was 7:10 PM. Missed the scheduled time yesterday so it showed today's of 6:58 PM before I toggled DST from On to Off then back On. It then showed todays as 6:48. Closer to what I expected

Today Sunset shows 7:08 PM and the night on time was where I expected it to be, 6:48 PM. -20 from Sunset.

Will try to observe when it happens today.

MikeB, my ISY definitely rebooted, queried all devices and ran the program catch-up.

Thanks Rand. I believe my problem is related to the following program, which is set to 'run at startup':

If
       From    12:00:00AM
       For      24 hours 

Then
       Repeat Every  15 minutes 
          Set 'OfficeThermostat' Query

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

If this program is set to NOT 'run at startup', my ISY queries fine after reboot.

Just a followup -

My problem is only occuring with the above program if the program queries my Thermostat Adapter.

If I change it to query something else, like a Switchlinc Relay, my ISY polls all devices at startup as expected.

If I set it to query the Thermostat Adapter, my ISY never runs its initial poll of all devices.

Hi Michel,

Getting an Invalid length error about half-way through the install - tried clearing the Java - rebooting - clearing immediately before installing, doing it in Firefax, and in IE8......no go - appreciate if you can advise - trying to upgrade from 2.6.6

2.6.6 worked in Google Chrome, and have not had luck in 2.6.7 with Google Chrome.

Just a question about the new adjust scene level feature. If I understand it correctly, the sample program is writing parameters to the actual device.

Isn't this a bad thing to keep doing? All of these devices have their info stored in EEPROM. And isn't there a write limit on the EEPROM's in these devices?

I work in the energy management field, and this was an important thing to remember about particular points in our controllers. An errant program could actually wipe out an EEPROM with excessive writes.

These newer EEPROM's are probably much better than the stuff we used in these older controllers, but just thought I'd check anyway.

Not a good initial experience with my new isy-99i. :evil:

I downloaded and installed the 2.6.7 beta update. It bricked my device.

Apparently, either the link or the zip file are wrong - apparently, I managed to install an isy-26 update on my isy-99i.

Now, when I start-up the administrative console, I get an error popup saying:

"Invalid Request" (wow, incredibly informative...)

Help, About says:

My lighting: uuid:00:21:b9:00:3b:bc null v.null

Product: ISY26 (1010)

My URL: http://10.0.1.5

Internet Access: Disabled

Accessed the telnet console (despite the fact that the documentation says Telnet is disabled by default...) and got this from VE (and what's up with commands having to be UPPER CASE?!):

http://10.0.1.5>VE

Product: (1020) ISY 99i 256

App: Insteon_UD99

Platform: ISY-C-99

Version: 2.6.7

Build Date: 2008-09-09-00:43:10

Other Services:

- Programs Enabled

LS gets me this:

http://10.0.1.5>LS

/TESTFILE.TXT 75

[LOG]

[.]

[..]

/LOG/LOG.UD 60928

[WEB]

[.]

[..]

/WEB/DRIVER.XML 6328

/WEB/LATLONG.XML 11061

/WEB/MAILTO.XML 31820

/WEB/TTYSET.DAT 80

/WEB/UPNPALG.XML 261

/WEB/UPNPSVC.XML 19709

/WEB/CE.JAR 105284

/WEB/CHART.JAR 912631

/WEB/CLOSE.HTM 233

/WEB/FAVICON.ICO 1406

/WEB/FP.JAR 729470

/WEB/INSTEON.JAR 679409

/WEB/UD.DCF 1218

/WEB/UDLOGO.JPG 34639

/WEB/UDIWS10.WS 77601

[.]

[..]

/CODE/INSTEON.IMG 365580

/CODE/ROMMON.UD 16280

[CONF]

[.]

[..]

[D2D]

[.]

[..]

/D2D/0001.PGM -1

/D2D/0002.PGM -1

/CONF/0.UCF 640

/CONF/DEVCNF.XML 6582

/CONF/0.NCF 136

/CONF/0.UND 600

/CONF/PLMID.BIN 128

/CONF/CJ.UCF 468

/CONF/MIGRATED.D2D 18

/CONF/E0B04.REC 172

/CONF/D8607.REC 116

/CONF/D8AF9.REC 116

/CONF/D71C3.REC 116

/CONF/D87C8.REC 116

/CONF/1.UND 600

/CONF/2.UND 600

/CONF/3.UND 600

/CONF/4.UND 600

/CONF/5.UND 600

/CONF/6.UND 600

/CONF/7.UND 600

/CONF/8.UND 600

/CONF/9.UND 600

/CONF/10.UND 600

/CONF/E08DF.REC 164

/CONF/DC94C.REC 164

/CONF/11.UND 600

/CONF/12.UND 600

/CONF/13.UND 600

/CONF/14.UND 600

/CONF/15.UND 600

/CONF/16.UND 600

/CONF/17.UND 600

/CONF/18.UND 600

/CONF/19.UND 600

/CONF/20.UND 600

/CONF/D7BFA.REC 116

/CONF/21.UND 600

/CONF/DA3E9.REC 116

/CONF/22.UND 600

/CONF/D7542.REC 116

/CONF/23.UND 600

/CONF/D80A6.REC 116

/CONF/24.UND 600

/CONF/E7C42.REC 116

/CONF/D8965.REC 116

/CONF/25.UND 600

/CONF/26.UND 600

/CONF/A22F0.REC 84

/CONF/27.UND 600

/CONF/UDFLPL.XML 14698

/CONF/28.UND 600

Oh, yea, the logger shows this on the Telnet console (at any debug level) when the "Invalid Request" message comes up.

http://10.0.1.5>

H_ERROR:-10011 :

LOGGER:-10011 : n=[null] c=[null] a=[null]

I re-downloaded and saved with a different name, just to make sure that I'd downloaded the correct link. The files are the same size, though I didn't do a comparison. However, I did subsequently also download the purported isy-26 download, which IS a different size (1 byte shorter) than the isy-99i download, so clearly I downloaded from the correct link.

As a software engineer, I am appalled by the lack of good configuration management practices. BTW, I have specific experience with these kind of issues, as I've written the boot-loader and update support for firmware devices.

- Incorrect image (either incorrect link or incorrect content at the link)

- The fact that the device was even able to install an image for the wrong device. How hard is it to embed a model # in the image, and refuse to install if it doesn't match?

- Apparently no QA to insure that the right images are at the right links.

- No obvious way to recover - I'm unable to perform another update ("Upgrade Failed: Invalid or inconpatible upgrade file") Checked the Advanced Configuration Guide, and there's nothing in the Administrative Shell to download or restore an image. I will have to return the device. I will be returning it for a refund, not a replacement. (There's a little hole in the front that looks like it might be for a reset button - but no mention in the documentation. It seems unlikely, though, that this would restore a previous image, since there's no mention anywhere of retention of a previous image)

- Horrible user documentation on the update process: it implies a user ID/password are required (but, actually, only for betas, and they are posted here in the forum). I was wondering when/how I would receive a password (was assuming I would get an email, but still waiting for it (I only got a UDI Receipt Confirmation confirming that I'd registered) but then it never said that I'd receive on

- No backup image stored! It is common practice to provide flash storage for at least two system images, so that the previous image can be restored in case of an update failure. There are MANY reasons for doing this, including: customer error, interrupted download, configuration-management screw-ups by the vendor...

Frankly, I'm severely disappointed with the device anyway. I would have returned it in any case. It is incredibly slow and impractical to program (perhaps though this is just an Insteon limitation), inflexible (ridiculous, extremely limited dumbed-down drop-down programming), counter-intuitive user interface, etc. etc. etc.

No way is this junk worth $300.

The RIGHT way to do it:

- embedded Linux device

- general-purpose programming language (say, Ruby) with a friendly front-end (yea, maybe even "drop-down programming" for non-programmers, yet still allowing the flexibility of a real programming language when necessary

- at least the bare minimum of decent configuration management, make SOME effort to prevent update errors and provide for recovery, etc.

- It is always a bad idea to cheap-out on flash memory and RAM. Whatever you think you will need, double it, and double it again. It never ceases to amaze me the devices that become obsolete simply because the firmware has grown, and the device has run out of memory...

-----

Now, after all that - it works. Wish I know why. I decided to try it with IE (was using Firefox) and now it just works, and even reports the right version:

My Lighting: uuid:00:21:b9:00:3b:bc Insteon_UD99 v.2.6.7

Product: ISY 99i (1020)

Still doesn't work in Firefox - still getting Invalid Request and wrong version information.

Still doesn't work in Firefox - still getting Invalid Request and wrong version information.

Wow, that was quite a rant.

Have you tried clearing your Java cache after the update?

I understand many of your frustrations, and I think even the Universal Devices guys will agree to many of your points. If you'd stick around a bit, I think you'd see the amount of time and efford they put into this product (and customer service). I've rarely seen so much functionality added to a product in such a short amount of time. My old ISY-26 does 10x more than it did when I purchased it a year ago. There's still a lot on their to-do list, but there are only so many hours in a day.

That being said, I'd love to see someone point out a more efficient, more feature filled , easier to use automation controller for Insteon. You can't, because it doesn't exist.

For the amount of things the ISY does in my home, I find it well worth $300.

Archived