Problems linking a 2477D

dth122

I'm having problems linking a new Switchinlinc Dimmer 2477D (rev 7.6) to my system.  It's the only Insteon device I have at the moment.  Everything else is X10.  All X10 devices are working well.

The problem is that when I try to link I get "Unable to determine Insteon engine".  I've tried entering the address manually (with and without selecting the device type), and using the Start Linking feature.  None of those seem to work.

I have a 994i/IR PRO v4.0.5 and a 2413S.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?  The 2477D is a replacement for an old X10 switch which was working fine, but I wanted to replace it with a dimmer.  I figured the move to Insteon would be an upgrade but so far it doesn't seem like it.

- Dave

How far from the plm is the switchlinc. When we moved into our house 4 years ago there were more than 50 x10 devices. After the bedroom lights turned on a few times in the middle of the night I started my upgrade migration. Hang in there Dave and you will get this worked out. Probably need some more insteon gear to strengthen your system.

I have an outlet box with an extension cord that I can put a switch into and plug in. This way I can bench test all new devices before I install them.

I just tried turning on the dryer and oven (both electric) and neither seemed to improve the situation.  So I'm not sure it's a phase coupling issue.

The new dimmer is in the garage and probably 50-60ft (straight run) from the breaker panel, and quote some distance from the PLM, which is upstairs at the other end of the house.

I don't really need any more Insteon devices right now, but I guess I could put one somewhere in the middle on the first floor just to test.  Is one additional device likely to fix my issue?  If not, I'll just get an X10 dimmer instead.

An active coupler, and a repeater is active, can interfere with the INSTEON signal. (Not all do.)  What is the result if you remove the coupler and turn on a 220/240V appliance?

The oven being on is not conclusive, unfortunately.  It was a good thought, however.  (especially true if your oven is not electric)

My suspicion remains a lack of insteon communication across electrical "phases".

How many insteon devices do you have, and how many are dual-band?  Is your PLM dual-band?

How new is your 2477D switch?  You may want also to update your ISY software to the latest version.  Perhaps the switch is too new for your current software to recognize.

If your Leviton Coupler/Repeater is a HCA02 or 6201. It is possible it is seeing the end of an Insteon message and sending out a bogus X10 power line signal. Corrupting the Insteon command to the 2477D.

They also do not send an Insteon power line signal back on the homes other phase.

With the 2477D being the only Insteon device you have installed. It is very possible the power line and RF Insteon commands are not reaching it. Since the problem didn't seem to change with the Leviton Off and the electrical appliances possibly bridging the incoming Lines.

Still didn't work with the coupler/repeater removed and oven on.

I swapped out the 2477D for a Leviton X10 dimmer and now everything is working well.  (within the capabilites of X10)

I think I'll skip Insteon for now.

- Dave

Are you trying to communicate with this switch using X10 commands or Insteon commands?

Are you trying to communicate with this switch using X10 commands or Insteon commands?

Insteon

If your Leviton Coupler/Repeater is a HCA02 or 6201. It is possible it is seeing the end of an Insteon message and sending out a bogus X10 power line signal. Corrupting the Insteon command to the 2477D.

They also do not send an Insteon power line signal back on the homes other phase.

With the 2477D being the only Insteon device you have installed. It is very possible the power line and RF Insteon commands are not reaching it. Since the problem didn't seem to change with the Leviton Off and the electrical appliances possibly bridging the incoming Lines.

It's a HCA02.  I tried removing it from the system completely but it didn't fix the problem.

I agree that the problem is most likely lack of signal reception.  That being said, it's not worth it for me to add a bunch of Insteon devices just to communicate with one dimmer.  Switching to X10 is a much cheaper and easier solution.

The oven being on is not conclusive, unfortunately.  It was a good thought, however.  (especially true if your oven is not electric)

My suspicion remains a lack of insteon communication across electrical "phases".

How many insteon devices do you have, and how many are dual-band?  Is your PLM dual-band?

How new is your 2477D switch?  You may want also to update your ISY software to the latest version.  Perhaps the switch is too new for your current software to recognize.

Of course it's an electric oven.  Otherwise it wouldn't be relevant.  I tried the dryer too with the same result.  But I agree, these tests are not conclusive to rule out the phase issue.

As I mentioned above... this is my only Insteon device besides the PLM, which is a 2413S.  It's pretty far from the 2477D, so I don't think RF would reach it.

The 2477D is brand new.  I don't know if rev 7.6 is the latest, but I just got it from Smarthome so it should be.  ISY software and firmware are the latest.

Did you do a factory reset on the SwitchLinc before linking to the ISY?

I don't know how they set these devices but mine have almost all done really strange things if I didn't factory reset every new device.

- remove the device completely from ISY

- factory reset the SwitchLinc. Most units do this by pulling the tab out for about 10-15 seconds and then pushing it in holding it in until it stops buzzing. This usually takes a tool to poke it deep enough andnotpause at the operating / normal position.. Release and it should turn the light on.

- relink it to the ISY using the address of the unit. xx.xx.xx

-if the device shows up in the ISY devicetreetry to operate the controls on it's page.

Let us know.

Any electrical device that's 220/240V powered will adequately bridge the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. But that doesn't rule out other problems, including communication problems. What is the load? What is the result if you disconnect the load wire?

Archived