Amazon Echo and ISY

madmartian

That's the Force Armable option I mentioned.  Problem is I have other zones that are Force Armable (three season room door, window, etc.).  I like knowing if those zones are violated when I arm at the keypad.  If I set all my motions Force Armable as well it won't be as obvious.

I found that as well.  I decided to use a "Goodbye" program to turn off lights, set the alarm, etc. anyway so I just say "Alexa, Turn on Goodbye".

Only problem I have is that the ELK will not arm during motion.  I think that's more of an issue (at least for me) when using something like the Echo when you're trying to arm the system while walking out the door, especially with kids.  The other issue is that if you are triggering a program that's doing multiple things, especially if there's a few WAITS in there, if you run that program again (by voicing the command again to Alexa) before the first attempt finishes the program does not seem to run although Alexa tells you OK.

Hope this makes sense.

I posted a message in the ELK forum about arming during motion but thought I'd post here as well.

For right now I just have the ELK arm 30 seconds after I voice the command via a WAIT in my program but wondering if there's a better solution. 

I am using "home security." Alexa is responding well to "Alexa, turn on home security"  :-P  Though I dont set any urlOff for security reason obviously. I dont want anyone to give a command to Alexa to disarm the home security system.

Unless of course, Alexa would be able to accept security code through voice. Does anyone know to implement it?

I guess you would need to create another entry entirely, use just the OFF URL, and have the voice command include the entry code.

So, perhaps something like:

Voice Command:  "Home Security"

ON URL:  whatever the URL is for your "goodbye" scene/program/etc.

OFF URL:  (null)

Voice Command:  "Home Security, Password One Two Three Four"

ON URL:  (null)

OFF URL:  whataver the URL is for your "welcome home" scene/program/etc.

I think that would work.  Make sense?

Or if you're into Star Trek you could say "Home Security, Command Authorization Riker Omega Three" or whatever... :)

Or if you're into Star Trek you could say "Home Security, Command Authorization Riker Omega Three" or whatever... :)

I had my Ubi programmed with something similar, to enable/disable guest mode.

The Ubi can echo back parameters, so it could take a string "Disable guest mode authorization $1" - so if I said something like "Disable guest mode authorization pi one one alpha" then the Ubi would respond with "Authorization pi one one alpha confirmed.  Guest mode deactivated."

I had my Ubi programmed with something similar, to enable/disable guest mode.

The Ubi can echo back parameters, so it could take a string "Disable guest mode authorization $1" - so if I said something like "Disable guest mode authorization pi one one alpha" then the Ubi would respond with "Authorization pi one one alpha confirmed. Guest mode deactivated."

What we need is voice recognition.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

You would have to say "turn off home security password one two three four".

I'm not sure this is a good idea, there seems to be some fuzzy allowance for misunderstood words.  You could potentially say a wrong password to some degree and it would still accept it as the "security off" device.

It would be cooler to have the off security code have nato alphabet in it kind of like the star trek security authorizations.

"turn off security authorization code tango four echo nine"

It might be worth a try and see how "wrong' you can be and still get it to turn it off.

Probably easier to "steal" someone's password if they announce it as opposed to type it into a keypad.

Probably easier to "steal" someone's password if they announce it as opposed to type it into a keypad.

Right.  But you'd at least have a choice - if you don't feel comfortable speaking the password at that particular time, just disable via keypad.

Hello everyone,

Just a little update: 

We have now gone through all Echo APIs and to our dismay, the only non-hacked way of supporting Echo is through the Cloud and our own Skillset without which we will have to use the Hue hack. Of course, it seems that Echo discovers Hue using UPnP/SSDP discovery. So, I suppose we can advertise ISY as a Hue gateway. I did try the Hue emulator but it didn't work on my Echo. So, can someone capture UDP (port 1900) and TCP (whatever port Hue/Emulator listens to) between Echo and the Emulator and send it to me?

Thanks in advance and with kind regards,

Michel

Michel not sure if it will help or not but I had a problem seeing the Echo talk to the Hue Emulator. What I did to solve was two fold. First was to make sure I was using version 1.3 not the 1.1 release. Also the Echo remembers older SSID's. Turns out in my case Echo was jumping on a old SSID that was on a network that wasn't within broadcast range of the PC that was running the emulator. Once removed all SSIDs except for the one I wanted it started working consistently. 

Tried out the "turn off security authorization code tango four echo nine" idea, and as expected, it would accept this device even when severely truncated.   It would disarm even if I said only "turn off security authorization code".  So I'm guessing not a great idea.

Tried out the "turn off security authorization code tango four echo nine" idea, and as expected, it would accept this device even when severely truncated.   It would disarm even if I said only "turn off security authorization code".  So I'm guessing not a great idea.

Makes sense.  I guess you could try some other fairly complex word as a password.  The chance of someone guessing it is pretty slim.  The reality is if someone breaking into your house knows enough to say "Alexa Turn On **** " to disable your alarm that's pretty amazing.

I don't think I'll do it, but in reality it's probably no more insecure than a 4 digit code.

Wink Blog

WINK+AMAZON ECHO: JUST ASK TO CONTROL SMART PRODUCTS AROUND YOUR HOME

JULY 08, 2015 IN NEWS

Amazon lovers, you’re really going to like this one... Wink is now compatible with Amazon Echo!

If you’re not familiar, Echo is a product completely designed around your voice. It’s always ready; as you say the wake word—“Alexa” or “Amazon” (most people select “Alexa”)—it springs to life. Alexa is the cloud-based voice service that powers Echo--you can ask for information, play music, get the weather, and much more.

Starting today, Echo can also control a number of Wink-compatible lighting products from GE, Leviton, and Lutron. Here’s how to get started:

Connect compatible products in your Wink app and set individual names for each lighting product (bedroom lamp, kitchen light, etc.).

Then, link your Wink account to Echo within the Echo mobile app (Settings > Connected Home > Device Links > Wink).

From there, say “Alexa, discover new devices.” This can take up to 20 seconds.

After that, you’re all set up. You can then turn your smart products on or off in the blink of an eye with a simple voice command to Alexa. For example, you could say “Alexa, turn on the living room lamp ” or “Alexa, turn off the kitchen light.”

This integration gives Wink users like you yet another touchpoint through which you can easily control your smart home. And we’re just getting started! We’re excited to work with Amazon to add additional functionalities and many more Wink-compatible products down the road.

Want to learn more about Amazon Echo? Click here for more info and to purchase one today!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Added the Hue emulator today and have it working pretty well.

Found out thwt if you update a command Alexa will get confused and say there are more than one device with that name.

Solution is to wipe everything out and rescan, no big deal other than I have a Hue setup and it wipes out any groupings I have created.

Have been able to set Alexa up to turn on/off the TV, Receiver, security cameras and lights so far.

This is a blast....

Run into one small issue using the ISY and Hue emulator as a bridge to other systems.

I am using variables to trigger commands to a Demopad Centro that controls all Devices in my home and visual feedback to iPads and phones. I have the Insteon lights working fine as I can subscribe to the ISY and feedback is automatic. However I can not get the variables to provide status this way. Is this my lack of knowledge or an ISY limitation.

Added the Hue emulator today and have it working pretty well.

Found out thwt if you update a command Alexa will get confused and say there are more than one device with that name.

Solution is to wipe everything out and rescan, no big deal other than I have a Hue setup and it wipes out any groupings I have created.

Have been able to set Alexa up to turn on/off the TV, Receiver, security cameras and lights so far.

This is a blast....

How many devices were you able to add? Did you encounter a 28-device limitation? That's what I have encountered so far.

Amazon is having a ginormous sale for Prime members on July 15. I am hoping they lower the price of the Echo for that day so I can pick up another one for the bedroom. Then I'd have the kitchen Echo controlling the upstairs lights and the bedroom echo controlling the downstairs lights, with remotes in the living room and the office. That would be perfect, though I prefer not to spend another $180 to make it happen.

Amazon Prime Day

Anyone having issues with the Echo detecting certain commands?

For example, I have the Hue Emulator configured for a command called "Goodnight Music".  If I say "Alexa, Turn On Goodnight Music" it says it can't find the answer to my question.  If I check the history it is hearing my speech properly but is obviously confused.  

If I swap the command around and say"Alexa, Turn Goodnight Music On" it works fine.  However, I find other commands will not work that way.  For example "Alexa, Turn Goodnight Music Off" may not work while "Alexa, Turn Off Goodnight Music" might.

Anyone?

Anyone having issues with the Echo detecting certain commands?

For example, I have the Hue Emulator configured for a command called "Goodnight Music".  If I say "Alexa, Turn On Goodnight Music" it says it can't find the answer to my question.  If I check the history it is hearing my speech properly but is obviously confused.  

If I swap the command around and say"Alexa, Turn Goodnight Music On" it works fine.  However, I find other commands will not work that way.  For example "Alexa, Turn Goodnight Music Off" may not work while "Alexa, Turn Off Goodnight Music" might.

Anyone?

There are certain key words you can't really have in device names, otherwise echo will interpret them as a non-connected-home command.  I've found that "music" and "alarm" are two.

Archived