Purchased Modules

Grizzy

Hello,

I'm new to insteon and ISY controllers and need some information on buying additional modules.

1.  When I purchase a module does it install itself on my ISY-994i Pro ?

2. If I do a factory reset will I loose the module ?

3. If I do loose the module, can it be downloaded again ?

4. How can I protect myself to assure I will always have the module in the future should UD go bye bye like the x10 active home pro software ?

5. Can the module be moved or  used on another ISY controller should I upgrade to another controller ?

6. I have 2 ISY controllers (one as a backup) can I install and run the module on both of them ?

7. I need the X10 module, will it give me the full capability of the ISY Controller with all my x10 devices (within the capability of the individual x10 device both PLC and RF) ?

Thank You Very Much for your help !!

"7. I need the X10 module, will it give me the full capability of the ISY Controller with all my x10 devices"

All the X10 capability of the Smarthome PLM is available without the X10/A10 Module. With the X10 Module an X10 device can be defined to the ISY and the symbolic name given the X10 device used in Programs. Without the X10 Module the X10 address is used in a Program rather than the symbolic name.

If

X10 'A1/On (3)' is Received

And X10 'A1/Off (11)' is not Received

Then

Send X10 'B1/On (3)'

Else

Send X10 'B1/Off (11)'

Hello,

I'm new to insteon and ISY controllers and need some information on buying additional modules.

1.  When I purchase a module does it install itself on my ISY-994i Pro ?

- When you purchase the software modules like the weather, network, energy modules they are activated by UDI. 

2. If I do a factory reset will I loose the module ?

- No

3. If I do loose the module, can it be downloaded again ?

- If the module you purchased for what ever reason disappears simply contact UDI indicating the UUID of the ISY and they will restore it for you.

4. How can I protect myself to assure I will always have the module in the future should UD go bye bye like the x10 active home pro software ?

- The module is not tied to the company its resident on the ISY Series Controller. The only way to lose a software module is by hardware / firmware failure. Which is extremely rare based on more than eight years of product availability. 

5. Can the module be moved or  used on another ISY controller should I upgrade to another controller ?

- Yes

6. I have 2 ISY controllers (one as a backup) can I install and run the module on both of them ?

- You will need to purchase the required software modules for each ISY Series Controller you have.

7. I need the X10 module, will it give me the full capability of the ISY Controller with all my x10 devices (within the capability of the individual x10 device both PLC and RF) ?

- LeeG has addressed this issue for you above.

Thank You Very Much for your help !!

If you're speaking about the software modules then the answers are in line.

If you're speaking about the software modules then the answers are in line.

Sorry guys I used a confusing term " module" was mistaken for hardware modules. What I was referring to was the add-on software modules you can purchase for the ISY.

I believe LeeG and Teken caught my meaning, thanks for your responses.

This raises more questions:

8. I assume then the software module is assigned to the uuid ? So can it be transferred to a newer model when I upgrade ?

9. By doing a backup on the ISY save the software plugin so when I do a restore I'll retrieve it also ?

10.  I purchased a used ISY-99i and the about page shows the network module was purchased, however it on another page it says it is not installed. How do I install it ?

Thanks

Don

Sorry guys I used a confusing term " module" was mistaken for hardware modules. What I was referring to was the add-on software modules you can purchase for the ISY.

I believe LeeG and Teken caught my meaning, thanks for your responses.

This raises more questions:

8. I assume then the software module is assigned to the uuid ? So can it be transferred to a newer model when I upgrade ?

- Yes, simply contact UDI and they will transfer the module for you. Simply create a service ticket and send them your existing UUID and the new ISY UUID that the module needs to be transferred to.

9. By doing a backup on the ISY save the software plugin so when I do a restore I'll retrieve it also ?

- The Software Modules are written somewhere with in the ISY's EEPROM. I do not believe it resides in the ISY back up's.

10.  I purchased a used ISY-99i and the about page shows the network module was purchased, however it on another page it says it is not installed. How do I install it ?

- More than likely the previous owner had the Network Module transferred to their newer ISY-994 Series Controller. You will need to purchase the module unless the owner states it was NOT transferred.

UDI will be able to assist you in determining this aspect as its tracked with in their data base.

Thanks

Don

Hello Don,

Answers in line . . .

8. Sure. provide the UUID of the old and new ISY. UDI transfers modules all the time.

9. An ISY backup is backing up the configuration information; nodes, Scenes, Programs, etc. The actual ISY firmware including option modules are not part of the backup. That way an ISY backup from 4.2.18 can be restored onto 4.2.xx (future ISY level) without reverting the ISY to an earlier firmware.

10. First 3.3.10 is the last ISY firmware that will install on a 99i. The 99i is both Discontinued and past End of Life. There are several Insteon devices that cannot be used with 3.3.10, devices were released well after 99i was Discontinued. Contact UDI to see if there is a Network Module that will run on 3.3.10.

Archived