20% Off Black Friday Sale. Some Insteon Modules Included.

Brian H

Gee I would have thought by now. They could have straightened out the third party vendor and warranty thing.

As another early user. I remember the finger pointing. :cry:

But at least the devices are not totally failing (yet at least). That is an improvement. The buttons take a minute or so to fix. Looks like one of the cavities in the mold needs repair its leaving a burr on the button. Hard to see but if a button sticks and you pop it out you can just feel it. Files off easily as it very slight burr.

The mushy paddle is probably just a defective paddle not the switch itself.

The LEDs are my biggest gripe I guess.

My friend calls SH something else I cant post but the first word isnt smart and its four letters lol.

But things are better than 8 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just realized an order from 11/29 and another from 12/8 have not shipped yet. It's funny how they say items are in stock and will ship today etc when you place your order.

Not really a big deal I am not desperate for the items. Just the principle of a company's statement when you place an order being untrue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told by SH their site is under review from the IT department due to the on going *processing* status issue. When I called a great CS was able to confirm the order was processed, pending, shipping, or shipped.

They have some kind of software bug that isn't updating the site correctly and this is also adding lots of call volumes and wait times because people are writing in about the pending status.

Painful yes . . .

But, the front line CS are in my experience trying to do all they can to make it happen. I am the first one to throw SH / Smartlabs under the bus when I see issues.

But, in this case I know they are trying their best and other departments are having issues which compound the ordering process for a smooth purchase for all.

Well orders from 11/29 and 12/8 have not arrived yet. Is that because of a software issue? I will call on Monday but i have no emails saying they shipped yet either (that could be software yes). 11/29 is getting kind of old though. But at least i dont have an urgent need.

This is why i was buying from Amazon Prime with free two day shipping. But SH likes to use that as an excuse not to honor the warranty saying it only applies to the iriginal purchaser (amazon seller). I remember 8 years ago they tried telling me some of my devices were warrantied by Smartlabs not Smarthome and to call them. So i replied Smartlabs, Smarthome, Smartasses all the same to me. The guy hung up on me lol.

Yup. The warranty issue as well as the 20% off sales mean we're pretty much stuck waiting 3 weeks for our purchases to arrive.

Welcome to Canada!

That is the expected ship time from door to door. Given the high volumes during the XMAS season I expect the custom department is rather busy for us.

Since you're in country it comes down to SH filling the orders and shipping it out. But, also with tens of millions of people using USPS I can see a little bit of a bottle neck.

I watched a 20/20 show and they showed how much mail and products were moved between USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, it was truly astounding. 

Welcome to Canada!

That is the expected ship time from door to door. Given the high volumes during the XMAS season I expect the custom department is rather busy for us.

Since you're in country it comes down to SH filling the orders and shipping it out. But, also with tens of millions of people using USPS I can see a little bit of a bottle neck.

I watched a 20/20 show and they showed how much mail and products were moved between USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, it was truly astounding. 

Not true.. I have everything shipped to a MI address.  This is purely the time to get from CA to MI.  I bring everything to Canada myself since I live so close to the border.  I'm just glad they use Fed Ex, as I've had horrible experiences with both USPS and UPS now.  I only use Fed Ex now, and will continue to do so until they cost me money or lose something like the other 2 have, then I'm not sure what I'll do.  Hoping that doesn't happen.

I guess the other thing is that my two oldest orders that haven't arrived yet were free shipping, so can't really complain too much about that.  The 3rd order that I paid shipping on, however, will probably cause me to raise more of a stink if that doesn't show up soon.

Figured I should close the loop on this.. all 3 of my orders arrived Monday (in MI).  11/27, 11/29, and 12/7 orders all showed up same day.  I find it interesting that the 2 leak sensors I ordered in my first order came in clear plastic packaging, but the 4-pack came in cardboard boxes.

I also got all 3 shipping notifications today, lol.

Figured I should close the loop on this.. all 3 of my orders arrived Monday (in MI). 11/27, 11/29, and 12/7 orders all showed up same day. I find it interesting that the 2 leak sensors I ordered in my first order came in clear plastic packaging, but the 4-pack came in cardboard boxes.

I also got all 3 shipping notifications today, lol.

When I ordered refurb units they came in plastic and had a tiny R sticker on them by the date code label.

When I ordered refurb units they came in plastic and had a tiny R sticker on them by the date code label.

Refurb, in SH parlance, means that:

- We sold it to somebody who opened it and couldn't get it to work. They returned it.

- We tested it, put an "r" sticker on it, stuffed it in a plastic bag and sold it to you

What most industries consider a refurb / recondition is not performed 

There is a refurb-to-new conversion procedure that involves a pen knife  :-P

Refurb, in SH parlance, means that:

- We sold it to somebody who opened it and couldn't get it to work. They returned it.

- We tested it, put an "r" sticker on it, stuffed it in a plastic bag and sold it to you

What most industries consider a refurb / recondition is not performed 

There is a refurb-to-new conversion procedure that involves a pen knife  :-P

I am truly sadden to affirm the above and know for a fact very little testing if any is done.

How do I know?

When I placed my first *EVER* order with SH for the ISY kit it came with a used PLM! I know this because some aszz had his own personal sticker affixed to the back of it saying *XXX Room* it was scuffed, and had some kind of yellow crap also stuck to it.

I was told this sort of thing never happens . . . Right!

Orchestrated Home uses the same definition of refurb, and their deals are very good. I got both my ISY and PLM as refurbed from them. They were both in perfect shape. There were some modules already installed. It was a very good deal, so what I had to spend went a lot further.

On the SH side, I have gotten some new in the box devices, no marks or wear, with links already programmed in them. I'm guessing that is production line testing.

I have gotten a 2457D2R and it looked brand new. Still had the protective plastic coverings on it.

I believe it was removed from a kit and it was a few revisions back from the present ones.

Got two Access Points that also looked brand new but has a different part number on it. Like it was from a retail kit.

• 4 weeks later...

Just realized an order from 11/29 and another from 12/8 have not shipped yet. It's funny how they say items are in stock and will ship today etc when you place your order.

Not really a big deal I am not desperate for the items. Just the principle of a company's statement when you place an order being untrue.

I am still waiting for one of my orders from the end of November (still processing).  This is getting silly now. Emailing their CS gets no reply.  I will have to call them one of these months. 

I am still waiting for one of my orders from the end of November (still processing).  This is getting silly now. Emailing their CS gets no reply.  I will have to call them one of these months.

Me too... however, I sent them an e-mail about it a week ago; they responded the same day and said they were waiting for a visor clip that I ordered for a remote. They said it was on back order and should be in in a few days. After waiting 5 more days, I just asked them to cancel that 1 item and ship the rest (they are all insteon items). They did that and I got a shipping notice the next day.

Me too... however, I sent them an e-mail about it a week ago; they responded the same day and said they were waiting for a visor clip that I ordered for a remote. They said it was on back order and should be in in a few days. After waiting 5 more days, I just asked them to cancel that 1 item and ship the rest (they are all insteon items). They did that and I got a shipping notice the next day.

I just emailed them again today.  They state they have no records of any orders under the account since 2007.  So I logged in and see 5 orders just in the past 90 days for several thousands of dollars total.

I guess they really do have a messed up ordering system.

Wow glad I've never ordered from them.  I'm in Canada though so never been worth it, exchange rate is brutal right now so cheaper to just shop in Canada for most things.  Even when I just bought my Hue lights for $199, with 13% tax that's $224.87, but if I had bought those in Florida for example, where they are also $199, it would be $256 after exchange.  Any savings as well ordering online are gone as soon as Customs gets ahold of it.  I buy as much as I can from Amazon, sometimes they are a little more expensive but with Prime I have it always next day, and if I want to return it I can for 30 days no questions.  Buying from aartech.ca is expensive, they charge $9.99 for shipping unless your order is over $199 which mine never are, and then there's a restocking fee if you want to return anything.  So not worth it for me, just sadly a few items are missing from Amazon like the clear buttons, so came to $48 with tax and shipping for 3 packs of clear buttons from aartech which sucks, but it is what it is :)

To Digger, if they have charged you, then file a charge back on your credit card, or email them and tell them you're going to if they don't give an update by end of day.  That will get them moving, and if they don't respond, then file one.  If a company bills you for something, then says they have no record of it, that's called fraud :)

Archived