Battery Operated Devices - Check those batteries

Teken

So today I received a notification to check all the battery operated Insteon devices in my home. More often than not its just going through the motions to ensure I have dated the install of said batteries. Other times its just checking to see what the voltage is to ensure a hard to reach area is OK.

Well, after almost five years in the game and checking these devices. It looks like dumb luck that my alert message was sent and this is what I found.  :?

3BF3C38D-0E40-4C90-89C5-D8AC5282C609_zps

It's safe to say that the internals were pretty messed up and the actual plastic cover, was frozen shut.

756AD29C-151A-4E87-8CF4-385C072937C0_zps

After pounding away at the outside cover and using a exacto knife to clean the battery acid leakage. This is what the inside looked like.  :x  On the left side where you see the corroded spring the entire underside of the plastic case was filled with battery goo. 

I believe I spent about 35 minutes blowing away, wiping, lubing, the immediate area. 

501D0110-D374-47F4-9FE9-4FC67DF82619_zps

This is what the unit looks like now after some sweat equity was applied. Its not 100% because the battery acid ate into the metal spring and that is pretty much what is left. I used some emery cloth to try to sand down the spring but it was too small of an area to apply any meaningful pressure.

The best I could do was deoxit and apply some conductive stabilizer to the contacts.

C27FCDF2-F507-4305-A92A-E7B08A5DD6FF_zps

As you can see I installed some high quality Duracell batteries which indicate a best before date of 2022. Even with high quality batteries such a duracell, energizers, etc. I have seen similar leakage so I don't fault the GP brand.

As I have seen them perform very well in other OEM devices I have received. So, the moral of the story is to check all the batteries and take them out. Simply glancing at them will not confirm a battery is impending explosion.

Out of course moving forward I have decided to budget once a year to simply replace all batteries regardless of the voltage or install date. In the long run it cost a little more, but that cost is off set by the simple fact it cost way less than replacing 4-5 Insteon devices that cost $35.XX and above.

9B1C75BA-A2C1-42BB-88C8-2E64C76B99C7_zps

Hi Teken,

Nice writeup and warning for all to heed. I have had the same thing happen with Duracell batteries used in Mr. Beams LED lights that are installed on my deck stairs. They were still functioning after 15 months when I decided to replace the batteries and found the Duracells had leaked. Had to replace all three lights due to excessive corrosion. Lesson learned, replace the batteries at least once a year even though they appear to be still functional. Less expensive than replacing the device!

~Mike

Hi Teken,

Nice writeup and warning for all to heed. I have had the same thing happen with Duracell batteries used in Mr. Beams LED lights that are installed on my deck stairs. They were still functioning after 15 months when I decided to replace the batteries and found the Duracells had leaked. Had to replace all three lights due to excessive corrosion. Lesson learned, replace the batteries at least once a year even though they appear to be still functional. Less expensive than replacing the device!

~Mike

Yes, I guess what took me aback is that this Energy Monitor has no signs of bulging, pitting, or the usual wet film??  :shock:   Its like it magically just decided to barf out all its contents in a show of F U !  :mrgreen:

As you clearly stated, it could have been worse, where I had to actually buy a new device.  :|

May have been leaking but still having enough voltage to not trigger the low battery warning sooner.

I don't believe the Energy Monitor has a the battery low alert node. Since UDI has never provided direct support for the device its not possible to add it to the ISY to receive an email alert.

I really wish Smartlabs would continue to develop and grow this device as it has lots of potential. 

Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA, AA (1.5V) have a 20-year shelf life, much higher AH rating and working temp range, and are guaranteed not to leak.

Not inexpensive at about $2@, but as you discovered you have to weigh in all the costs and risks, and these things don't leak and last a whole lot longer. These are not rechargeable lithium chemistry, but also like most typical dry batteries now not toxic to the environment when you do have to to dispose of them. Which, happily, you do less often.

There is also a 9V Energizer with a 10-year shelf life, though I don't think it gets the "official" no-leak guarantee/insurance.

I personally haven't found any advantage to the 9V lithiums (rechargeable or not) to justify their 4x cost, so I still use regular 9Vs in the motion sensors. Never had any leak. If you don't mind swapping them more often, you can probably save on total lifecycle cost by using rechargeable NiMH, but I have no idea about their leakage

FWIW I've also found that the Costco/Kirkland AA and AAA batteries have a truly horrid propensity to leak, esp. when used outdoors. Presumably temp range. They've probably cost me 100x what they saved. I no longer use them for anything. Likewise with the majority of Chinese-sourced batteries included with devices - all automatically go straight to my trash.

Alkaline batteries don't actually leak "acid," it's a high-PH hydroxide goo (base, hence the term alkaline) that should be neutralized with a mild acid (like vinegar.) Then rinse or wash with denatured alcohol to get rid of any residual water. This normalizes the PH and halts further oxidation. The hydroxide stuff can be caustic especially for some people so a pair of latex gloves are advised. Existing corrosion can be usually be handled with a pencil eraser or fine-grit sandpaper. In some cases if the stuff has been on there too long it may be a writeoff. 

Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA, AA (1.5V) have a 20-year shelf life, much higher AH rating and working temp range, and are guaranteed not to leak.

Not inexpensive at about $2@, but as you discovered you have to weigh in all the costs and risks, and these things don't leak and last a whole lot longer. These are not rechargeable lithium chemistry, but also like most typical dry batteries now not toxic to the environment when you do have to to dispose of them. Which, happily, you do less often.

There is also a 9V Energizer with a 10-year shelf life, though I don't think it gets the "official" no-leak guarantee/insurance.

I personally haven't found any advantage to the 9V lithiums (rechargeable or not) to justify their 4x cost, so I still use regular 9Vs in the motion sensors. Never had any leak. If you don't mind swapping them more often, you can probably save on total lifecycle cost by using rechargeable NiMH, but I have no idea about their leakage

FWIW I've also found that the Costco/Kirkland AA and AAA batteries have a truly horrid propensity to leak, esp. when used outdoors. Presumably temp range. They've probably cost me 100x what they saved. I no longer use them for anything. Likewise with the majority of Chinese-sourced batteries included with devices - all automatically go straight to my trash.

Alkaline batteries don't actually leak "acid," it's a high-PH hydroxide goo (base, hence the term alkaline) that should be neutralized with a mild acid (like vinegar.) Then rinse or wash with denatured alcohol to get rid of any residual water. This normalizes the PH and halts further oxidation. The hydroxide stuff can be caustic especially for some people so a pair of latex gloves are advised. Existing corrosion can be usually be handled with a pencil eraser or fine-grit sandpaper. In some cases if the stuff has been on there too long it may be a writeoff. 

For some of the devices in the home where they are mission critical and up time is paramount. I do use higher quality lithium batteries from Energizer / Duracell. Some high drain items I use high output rechargeable's to help off set the endless battery change overs.

I too use the Kirkland (Costco) batteries for various none critical devices like clocks, toys, radio's, etc. So far I have not experienced any leaks. But, gather this has more to do with the fact the battery is long dead before it ever explodes on the me! :mrgreen:

I was just a little taken aback given I had just looked at these things the month before. No signs of bulging, leaking, crackling of the outer casing, etc Yet poof, the following month I see what appears to be frosted snow on the bottom end of the casing?? :|

I can only imagine if this device was found 3-4 months later which I am sure the whole device would have been damaged.

Thanks for taking the time to read and provide feed back.  

Beware of the Kirkland batteries, they leak and create a mess. I am also through using Duracell because of the same reason. 

Today I purchased a package of 36 AA Energizer MAX '+PowerSeal' batteries at Home Depot for less than $15. They are 'guaranteed' to not leak. http://www.energizer.com/pages/guarantee.aspx

Packaging and label on the batteries list  'Made in China' :x

Beware of the Kirkland batteries, they leak and create a mess. I am also through using Duracell because of the same reason.

Today I purchased a package of 36 AA Energizer MAX '+PowerSeal' batteries at Home Depot for less than $15. They are 'guaranteed' to not leak. http://www.energizer.com/pages/guarantee.aspx

Packaging and label on the batteries list 'Made in China' :x

It's strange because different models of their batteries are made in the USA, China, and Canada.

Encrypted By: Phoenix Security Solutions

Nice writeup Teken.  I have lost my share of Maglights and Brinkman flashlights to battery leaks.  So far none of my Insteon gear has had an issue with leaky batteries but I have mostly motion sensors and Triggerlincs and the batteries in those run out long before they get a chance to leak.

-Xathros

Archived