Schlage BE469

hart2hart

Hi Teken,

I installed this lock on my front door back in April and am very happy with it's operation. I did change the batteries after 6 months. The battery level reported was at 86% as I recall. At 86% the internal motor does 'sound' just a bit slower as it moves the bolt. I was leaving for a week and did not want any issues since my family did not accompany me on the trip. With new batteries installed on October 16 and an average of 15 motorized lock/unlock actions per day the battery level is 99% today.

I use ISYLogger to record the date/time/user-number that unlocks via keypad. Other actions such as manually locking/unlocking from inside, locking from outside with the Schlage button, locking/unlocking from a KeypadLinc button, and locking after a timeout via program are also logged. I also use Prowl via the Network Module to notify me in real time of the above actions.

The only negative I can think of is the number pad is a little difficult to read in direct sunlight but other than that it is perfect!

~Mike

Hello Mike,

Those are the real world replies I was hoping to see and read. I thank you so much for taking the time to reply and let me know. 

Hi Teken,

I installed this lock on my front door back in April and am very happy with it's operation. I did change the batteries after 6 months. The battery level reported was at 86% as I recall. At 86% the internal motor does 'sound' just a bit slower as it moves the bolt. I was leaving for a week and did not want any issues since my family did not accompany me on the trip. With new batteries installed on October 16 and an average of 15 motorized lock/unlock actions per day the battery level is 99% today.

I use ISYLogger to record the date/time/user-number that unlocks via keypad. Other actions such as manually locking/unlocking from inside, locking from outside with the Schlage button, locking/unlocking from a KeypadLinc button, and locking after a timeout via program are also logged. I also use Prowl via the Network Module to notify me in real time of the above actions.

The only negative I can think of is the number pad is a little difficult to read in direct sunlight but other than that it is perfect!

~Mike

Mike, care to share your programming for all the notifications, currently I have mine setup to show which user opens it, I would like the functionality you have mentioned

Hi Waketech,

This will be somewhat lengthy however I hope it will be beneficial to others. I basically use two integer variables, $iSchlageLockedBy and $iSchlageUnlockedBy to track everything. The variables are change whenever an action is reported by the lock.

Here is one of my user programs that sets the variables, turns on a Scene (button on a few KeypadLincs) and sends a Notification via Prowl.

If
        Status  '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is Access Code 1
    And Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Unlocked by Keypad

Then
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 0
        $iSchlageUnLockedBy  = 1
        Set Scene 'Scenes / SchlageButton-A' On
        Resource 'SchlageMary'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

'SchlageButtonA' program that controls the lock from a KeypadLinc button.

If
        Control 'Living Room Wall / A-Schlage Lock' is switched On
    And Control 'Living Room Wall / A-Schlage Lock' is not switched Off
     Or (
             Control 'Mike Bedside KPL / A-Schlage Lock' is switched On
         And Control 'Mike Bedside KPL / A-Schlage Lock' is not switched Off
        )

Then
        Set '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' Unlock
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 0
        $iSchlageUnLockedBy  = 55
        Resource 'SchlageKPLUnLock'

Else
        Set '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' Lock
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 3
        Set Scene 'Scenes / SchlageUnlock' Off
        Stop program 'SchlageTimeout'
        Resource 'SchlageKPLLock'

'SchlageTimeout' (Disabled) program that locks the front door with exceptions noted.

If
        Status  '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is Unlocked

Then
        Wait  10 minutes 
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 555
        Set Scene 'Scenes / SchlageButton-A' Off
        Resource 'SchlageTimeout'

Else

NOTES:
*Must Remain DISABLED otherwise 10 minute time period starts as soon as door is unlocked.*
Called by SchlageTimeoutEnable If LRWallKPL-B is Off.
Stopped by FrontDoor program and resets upon every door closure.
Stopped by SchlageLockedInside and SchlageLockedOutside programs.

'SchlageTimeoutEnable' program. I use a State variable called $sSchalgeTimeoutEnabled. (Another program is triggered when the state of this variable changes and Notifies me via Prowl.)

If
        Status  'Living Room Wall / B-Disable Lock' is Off

Then
        $sSchlageTimeoutEnabled  = 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Run Program 'SchlageTimeout' (If)

Else
        $sSchlageTimeoutEnabled  = 0

NOTES:
Called by FrontDoor program.
LRWallKPL-B Status:
On: Prevents FrontDoor from locking after 10 minutes.
Off: Calls SchlageTimeout(If) program, that will lock the FrontDoor unless reopened within 10 minutes.

'FrontDoor' program.

If
        Status  'z-Door Sensors / Front Door' is 100%

Then
        Resource 'FrontDrSensorOpen'

Else
        Resource 'FrontDrSensorClosed'
        Run Program 'SchlageTimeoutEnable' (If)

NOTES:
Stops SchlageTimeout when evaluated True and Runs SchlageTimeoutEnable when evaluated False.
Front Door will automatically re-lock after closure when parameters if LRWallKPL-B is Off.
LRWallKPL-B disables SchlageTimeout if On in SchlageTimeoutEnable program.

'SchlageLockedInside' program.

If
        Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Key/Manually Locked

Then
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 1
        Wait  1 second
        Resource 'SchlageLockedInside'

Else

'SchlageLockedOutside' program.

If
        Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Locked by Keypad

Then
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 2
        Wait  1 second
        Resource 'SchlageLockedOutside'

Else

'SchlageManualUnlocked' program.

If
        Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Key/Manually Unlocked

Then
        $iSchlageUnLockedBy  = 0
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 0
        Resource 'SchlageManualUnLocked'

Else

'SchlageTamper' program.

If
        Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Tamper Code Entry Limit

Then
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 999
        $iSchlageUnLockedBy  = 999
        Resource 'SchlageTamper'
        Send Notification to 'Michael' content 'SchlageTamper'

Else

Here are my variable definitions.

iSchlageUnLockedBy
---------------------
999 = Tamper Alarm
 55 = Insteon Keypad
  0 = Manually UNLOCKED
  1 = Mary
  2 = Michael
  3 = Janet
  4 = Tina
  5 = Joe
  6 = Alice

iSchlageLockedBy
------------------------------------
999 = Tamper Alarm
  0 = Reset when UNLOCKed by Keypad or Manually UNLOCKED
  1 = Manually LOCKED from inside
  2 = LOCKED by Outside Schlage button
  3 = LOCKED by Insteon Keypad
  4 = LOCKED by KPLAllOffButton Program 
555 = LOCKED by SchlageTimeout Program

I also have two other programs to send a notification if the lock is Not Responding or Jammed.

~Mike

I just had my first weird experience with the BE469 lock. As I mentioned in an earlier post it has been flawless since install back in April. This morning I was receiving Prowl 'Not Responding' messages while I was out and about. When I returned home I found the lock was no longer communicating with the ISY, it had a red ! next to it in the Admin Console. Querying the lock did not correct the issue.

I removed the battery cover, disconnected the batteries, manually operated the lock a few times, then reconnected the batteries and the inside Schlage button flashed red once then went out. The lock was back in communication with the ISY after doing this. Do not know what caused the lock to stop Z-Wave communications but thought I would mention this in case someone else experienced a similar hiccup.

~Mike

So for those that own these locks, happy? Would you buy them again opposed to purchasing another unit?

If so why?

Any downsides or features that are not present in this lock set?

Encrypted By: Phoenix Security Solutions

I've had my 469 for 6-8 months now and am planning on a second one soon.  I also use the FE599 (4 of those installed) and will be adding another of those as well.

The FE599's get the most use and I've replaced batteries on one of them already. Two are currently between 40 - 50% and still running fine.  Don't remember what the fail point was on the first one but will record that going forward.

My BE469 motor runs on avg 6 times daily and it still at 86% on the stock batteries.

-Xathros

I've had my 469 for 6-8 months now and am planning on a second one soon.  I also use the FE599 (4 of those installed) and will be adding another of those as well.

The FE599's get the most use and I've replaced batteries on one of them already. Two are currently between 40 - 50% and still running fine.  Don't remember what the fail point was on the first one but will record that going forward.

My BE469 motor runs on avg 6 times daily and it still at 86% on the stock batteries.

-Xathros

Hello Xathros,

That's the kind of feed back I was hoping to see from various members. I am really interested to see a year from now how these locks are performing. Given the fact more diagnostics's and error logging in the ISY is being added every quarter. These locks will be on the top of the list when I believe the Z-Wave platform is a little more solid.

The only problem I have right now is that both front doors do not close properly without a little nudge. Every winter is the same thing when the mercury drops to -45'C and below. Closing the door by hand is never a problem, but given the tight tolerances of the throw bolt I am afraid it would just fail to lock or jam.

I will more than likely consider these for a few interior doors where not having to use a key would be great. The only problem is that two of the rooms use mag locks and a card swipe mechanism so doing a retro might not be in my future.  :cry:

Hello Xathros,

That's the kind of feed back I was hoping to see from various members. I am really interested to see a year from now how these locks are performing. Given the fact more diagnostics's and error logging in the ISY is being added every quarter. These locks will be on the top of the list when I believe the Z-Wave platform is a little more solid.

The only problem I have right now is that both front doors do not close properly without a little nudge. Every winter is the same thing when the mercury drops to -45'C and below. Closing the door by hand is never a problem, but given the tight tolerances of the throw bolt I am afraid it would just fail to lock or jam.

I will more than likely consider these for a few interior doors where not having to use a key would be great. The only problem is that two of the rooms use mag locks and a card swipe mechanism so doing a retro might not be in my future.  :cry:

I have found that the addition of the BE469 and the FE599's has helped with getting the doors to fully close in my case.  The added mass of these locks helps carry the door to the fully closed position.  I have had a few instances when the 469 reported a JAM from the door not fully closing but compared to the number of times I found the door partially closed before these locks were installed, thats a big improvement coupled with notification of failure.  The bolt on the 469 appears to be slightly tapered as well which when properly adjusted, helps pull the door tight against the weather seal.

-Xathros

The bolt is somewhat wedge shaped to help it enter the door frame. I attached a few pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like. :mrgreen:

attachicon.gifbolt 1.JPG

attachicon.gifbolt 2.JPG

MikeD,

You're awesome! Thanks for the quick photo op.

I have found that the addition of the BE469 and the FE599's has helped with getting the doors to fully close in my case.  The added mass of these locks helps carry the door to the fully closed position.  I have had a few instances when the 469 reported a JAM from the door not fully closing but compared to the number of times I found the door partially closed before these locks were installed, thats a big improvement coupled with notification of failure.  The bolt on the 469 appears to be slightly tapered as well which when properly adjusted, helps pull the door tight against the weather seal.

-Xathros

I guess there is a telepost adjustment in store for me this week.  :cry:  I prefer to not adjust the telepost in the basement to compensate for the sticking problem. But, I guess if this lock set is going to work properly this is something I will have to resolve.

It never fails every time I have to do something its -26'C and below!  :|

Assuming you have a deadbolt and an entry lock on the door... You adjust door so the entry lock catches on strike plate aligning the motorized deadbolt in the direct center of it's strike plate. In essence, slight tension is applied by closing the entry lock against the weathers strip.

That is something that used to be in place and did resolve the handle closing the door tighter to allow the dead bolt to engage properly.

But since I retro fitted all exterior doors with a four feet long SS strike plate. There is no method to make fine adjustments.

It was either have real force protection or have convenance. I chose former because a lock isn't any good if the hinges, strike plate, and timber are not sound and reinforced against a brute force kit down.

I will have to play around with the telepost this week and see if the door closes properly. Right now if you simply let the door go it stops right before the frame of the door.

So technically there are two problems the door doesn't swing closed by itself. Next the door can't be adjusted to allow a tight seal to allow the dead bolt throw bolt to engage.

Encrypted By: Phoenix Security Solutions

Got it. I installed backing reinforcement plate and long screws into supporting 2x4sbbut not nearly as good as you have. I've seen the long plates but never considered extra issues this brings with alignment. Good luck.

Yes, its a true balancing act with some of these upgrades. In the summer time its never an issue so maybe adjusting the telepost will help the door get past the threshold.

That will be the first victory and maybe I can see if I can modify the door bracket that holds the current lock sets in place just a little.

Its safe to say when I asked the builder to install four 2X6 on either side of the door, and king stud, and lower plate. There were some serious looks of WTF?? 

Drilling into the door hinges with 4" hardened screws, adding all the door hinge brackets, U frame kit for the locks, and the massive 4' tall strike plate was a really PITA for four doors.

Lucky this is hobby and not a job!  

• 4 months later...

Hi Waketech,

This will be somewhat lengthy however I hope it will be beneficial to others. I basically use two integer variables, $iSchlageLockedBy and $iSchlageUnlockedBy to track everything. The variables are change whenever an action is reported by the lock.

Here is one of my user programs that sets the variables, turns on a Scene (button on a few KeypadLincs) and sends a Notification via Prowl.

If
        Status  '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is Access Code 1
    And Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Unlocked by Keypad

Then
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 0
        $iSchlageUnLockedBy  = 1
        Resource 'SchlageMary'

Else

'SchlageButtonA' program that controls the lock from a KeypadLinc button.

If
        Control 'Living Room Wall / A-Schlage Lock' is switched On
    And Control 'Living Room Wall / A-Schlage Lock' is not switched Off
     Or (
             Control 'Mike Bedside KPL / A-Schlage Lock' is switched On
         And Control 'Mike Bedside KPL / A-Schlage Lock' is not switched Off
        )

Then
        Set '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' Unlock
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 0
        $iSchlageUnLockedBy  = 55
        Resource 'SchlageKPLUnLock'

Else
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 3
        Resource 'SchlageKPLLock'

'SchlageTimeout' (Disabled) program that locks the front door with exceptions noted.

If
        Status  '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is Unlocked

Then
        Wait  10 minutes 
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 555
        Resource 'SchlageTimeout'

Else

NOTES:
*Must Remain DISABLED otherwise 10 minute time period starts as soon as door is unlocked.*
Called by SchlageTimeoutEnable If LRWallKPL-B is Off.
Stopped by FrontDoor program and resets upon every door closure.
Stopped by SchlageLockedInside and SchlageLockedOutside programs.

'SchlageTimeoutEnable' program. I use a State variable called $sSchalgeTimeoutEnabled. (Another program is triggered when the state of this variable changes and Notifies me via Prowl.)

If
        Status  'Living Room Wall / B-Disable Lock' is Off

Then
        $sSchlageTimeoutEnabled  = 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Run Program 'SchlageTimeout' (If)

Else
        $sSchlageTimeoutEnabled  = 0

NOTES:
Called by FrontDoor program.
LRWallKPL-B Status:
On: Prevents FrontDoor from locking after 10 minutes.
Off: Calls SchlageTimeout(If) program, that will lock the FrontDoor unless reopened within 10 minutes.

'FrontDoor' program.

If
        Status  'z-Door Sensors / Front Door' is 100%

Then
        Resource 'FrontDrSensorOpen'

Else
        Resource 'FrontDrSensorClosed'
        Run Program 'SchlageTimeoutEnable' (If)

NOTES:
Stops SchlageTimeout when evaluated True and Runs SchlageTimeoutEnable when evaluated False.
Front Door will automatically re-lock after closure when parameters if LRWallKPL-B is Off.
LRWallKPL-B disables SchlageTimeout if On in SchlageTimeoutEnable program.

'SchlageLockedInside' program.

If
        Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Key/Manually Locked

Then
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 1
        Wait  1 second
        Resource 'SchlageLockedInside'

Else

'SchlageLockedOutside' program.

If
        Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Locked by Keypad

Then
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 2
        Wait  1 second
        Resource 'SchlageLockedOutside'

Else

'SchlageManualUnlocked' program.

If
        Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Key/Manually Unlocked

Then
        $iSchlageUnLockedBy  = 0
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 0
        Resource 'SchlageManualUnLocked'

Else

'SchlageTamper' program.

If
        Control '.Z-Wave / ZW 006 Schlage Door Lock' is switched Tamper Code Entry Limit

Then
        $iSchlageLockedBy  = 999
        $iSchlageUnLockedBy  = 999
        Resource 'SchlageTamper'
        Send Notification to 'Michael' content 'SchlageTamper'

Else

Here are my variable definitions.

iSchlageUnLockedBy
---------------------
999 = Tamper Alarm
 55 = Insteon Keypad
  0 = Manually UNLOCKED
  1 = Mary
  2 = Michael
  3 = Janet
  4 = Tina
  5 = Joe
  6 = Alice

iSchlageLockedBy
------------------------------------
999 = Tamper Alarm
  0 = Reset when UNLOCKed by Keypad or Manually UNLOCKED
  1 = Manually LOCKED from inside
  2 = LOCKED by Outside Schlage button
  3 = LOCKED by Insteon Keypad
  4 = LOCKED by KPLAllOffButton Program 
555 = LOCKED by SchlageTimeout Program

I also have two other programs to send a notification if the lock is Not Responding or Jammed.

~Mike

Hi Make, et al.

Curious. I set up my new lock with the 994i just like you have in your post, but for whatever reason the ISY will not detect the current lock state. If I query the lock, and I have programs enabled, they run and light up the house. However, in normal use, like coming home and unlocking the door at night, with a simple "turn on entry light" program setup, the communication from the lock to the ISY never happens, and the lights never turn on. If I open the console, query the lock - no problem. 

When you set this up, did you have to change any settings on the lock or the ISY to have it check status, or to have the lock send status? It's driving me bonkers. :)

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Just checked all my programs and verified I have made no changes since posting these. I also did not change any settings on the lock.

Are you running the latest Z-Wave firmware version? (v4.55) You can display the version by clicking Z-Wave - Advanced - Z-Wave Version.

Also, I am currently running ISY Firmware/UI v4.2.21 but am not sure when support for the Schlage lock first appeared. The right side of your Admin Console should look like this when the Schlage lock is selected.

post-3657-0-92574800-1428447773_thumb.png

Status is sent from the lock upon each action without the need to query. Do you see any activity in the Event Viewer when you operate the lock? (Tools - Diagnostics - Event Viewer)

You should see activity in Event Viewer set to Level 1.

~Mike

Hi Mike. 

I am running 4.55 and have ISY firmware 4.2.23. What's missing is the activity in the event viewer. If I lock the lock with the ISY, I see activity. If I use a code on the keypad, I do not. That's what's driving me crazy.

Looking at your screen shot, what is missing from mine is "alarm". You can see I just have deadbolt and battery level. If I lock through the ISY, I get that field, however it is not populated (lock2.png).

Would this be a signal issue? I have two z-wave electrical devices within 10 feet of the lock on either side. 

I'll keep playing around. I'm going to delete everything, remove the lock, re-add it and then re-add your scripts since I know they are working. 

Grrr. :)

Mitch

post-1381-0-81222100-1428623254_thumb.png

post-1381-0-32762800-1428623260_thumb.png

post-1381-0-20067600-1428623397_thumb.png

post-1381-0-97669300-1428623994_thumb.png

Hi Mike,

After I removed and re-added the lock, I can now see Alarm status field populated like in your screen shot! Nice!

Favor, would you be willing to share a screen shot of your Variables tab for your iSchlageUnLockedBy and iSchlageLockedBy? Remove all personal data of course. 

Mitch

After I removed and re-added the lock, I can now see Alarm status field populated like in your screen shot! Nice!

Hi Mitch,

My locks are the same as yours in the the ISY. Can you tell me the steps you took to remove and re-add your locks please!?

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Dwight. 

What I did was delete the lock from "my lighting" tree, then I went to zwave and clicked remove, then set the sequence on the lock, which removed it. Then I re-added it by having the ISY listen for the enroll event and initiated the enroll on the lock. It took a couple times of doing this, but it worked and now I see the communication. When I first enrolled it, it was the only zwave device. I since added a wall outlet and a plug in repeater, and it works flawlessly. The repeater and outlet are about 10' from the lock. 

Mitch

Hi Mike,

Favor, would you be willing to share a screen shot of your Variables tab for your iSchlageUnLockedBy and iSchlageLockedBy? Remove all personal data of course. 

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Glad to hear you got it working. As for the Variables, I am not sure what you are asking for. The 'init' values of each are set to '0' and the values are changed according to which program is run. I use io_guy's ISYLogger to record the daily history of lock events.

~Mike

Thank

Hi Mitch,

Here it is.

attachicon.gifVar.png

~Mike

Thank you Mike! I'm just getting into the variables now and it's really nice to see examples. I think my C++ brain is way overthinking things. 

Hi Mitch,

Here it is.

attachicon.gifVar.png

~Mike

And... Why don't you use state variables instead of intergers?

I record the values as soon as they change and do not use the variables as a condition to trigger any programs so I just decided to use Integer variables. That said, State variables could be used in these programs as written and everything would still work the same way.

~Mike

Archived