ISY994i can't find OutletLinc but Insteon Hub does

ricke

I have an OutletLinc outlet (not sure if its dual band) that has always been tricky to respond.   I've replaced that OutletLinc over the last few years but it didn't improve it.   I removed it from my ISY994i Pro project recently and when I try and Link it it can't be found.  Yet if I try discovering in on the same network using the INSTEN Hub and app, its found instantly and it turns on and off every time.

This outlet is on my 2nd floor and that floor has a number of SwitchLinc and OutletLinc peers, all of which are working OK.   One of the OutletLincs in the adjacent room is brand new and is dual band and I have an Access Point on that floor too.

I'm glad I have the INSTEON Hub as a sanity check because this is the 3rd device I thought had gone bad since it would respond through ISY.

Any suggestions on how to better get control of the outlet causing me issues?

Thanks,

Rick

The Hub and the PLM are different devices.   It sounds like the Hub has better reception than the PLM.   Look for the differences, sources of noise or signal attenuation between the two devices.  The PLM should be plugged directly into an outlet with nothing else (not filtered) that can be reducing the Insteon signal on the same circuit. 

If your OutleLinc is a dimmer, then it's dual-band. The On/Off OutletLinc is not.

Technically speaking the older On/Off Outletlinc is not. The dual Outletlinc is dual band and on the surface has better specifications. It was noted the RF is supposed to be stronger but given the fact if its installed in a metal JBOX that won't provide very much help considering the antenna is in the rear of the device.

Looking forward to the day the antenna is moved to the front just underneath the plastic cover. Which BTW should be done on all hardwired devices that needs to placed in a metal JBOX.

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed the issue!   I bought one of the new Smarthome DualBand external plug modules.   I plugged that into the non-controlled outlet in my OutletLinc that couldn't be detected by ISY/PLM and it immediately was discovered and works great.  Kind of a weird kludge but it solved the network issues.  Love it!

Rick

I fixed the issue!   I bought one of the new Smarthome DualBand external plug modules.   I plugged that into the non-controlled outlet in my OutletLinc that couldn't be detected by ISY/PLM and it immediately was discovered and works great.  Kind of a weird kludge but it solved the network issues.  Love it!

Rick

Rick,

Good for you, glad it worked out.

This pretty much high lights the importance of the plug in dual band devices. It also stresses the point of area coverage and proper coupling / bridging.

Smartlabs indicates for every 1000 feet a dual band device should be used. Personally, that is overly optimistic if these devices are hardwired devices.

AP / Range Extenders are still king in range and coupling in my experience. 

AP / Range Extenders are still king in range and coupling in my experience.

Have you found that the AP is better just because it's specifically designed for this single purpose, or is it just a matter of an exposed plug-in vs. a fully enclosed hardwired dual band device?

The reason I would really like to know the ansewr to this is, because Smarthome now has this sale on a 4 pack plugin dual band dimmer. While I don't need the dimmer function at all, if it repeats the RF signal as good or almost as good as an AP I would get it just for that. At $24 per piece it's cheaper than the $40 range extender.

Also unless I am missing something it seems like all of the Smartlabs Access Point devices are discontinued.    It seems there approach is based on building the dual-band AP functionality into more and more of their devices.  I wish they would create a standard OutletLinc with dual band instead of just the one with the dimmer outlet.

Rick

That's really good news!  I found the range extender at http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2992-222-range-extender.html

Can you please point me to the model number for the dual band, dual-controllable outlet?  I can't find that, is it in the OutletLinc lineup?

Thanks,

Rick

Here you go Rick: http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2663-222-on-off-outlet-white.html

This is my review of the product so you know what to expect: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/14735-insteon-onoff-outlet-2663-222-review/

Have you found that the AP is better just because it's specifically designed for this single purpose, or is it just a matter of an exposed plug-in vs. a fully enclosed hardwired dual band device?

The reason I would really like to know the ansewr to this is, because Smarthome now has this sale on a 4 pack plugin dual band dimmer. While I don't need the dimmer function at all, if it repeats the RF signal as good or almost as good as an AP I would get it just for that. At $24 per piece it's cheaper than the $40 range extender.

Based on internal specs and photo's of the new Range Extenders it appears to be based on the same lamp linc. So get those instead and save some big dollars along the way.

The older AP are built and designed on a completely different platform. 

Having said this the newer Range Extenders indicate a 200 feet line of site via RF. While the lamp linc indicates a 150 foot effective range line of site.

The benefit of the lamplinc is the dual use where as the Range Extender does absolutely nothing except couple RF / Power Line.

The Range Extender and the LampLinc use the same enclosure. That does not guarantee that the RF circuitry is the same. The Access Point, the older LampLinc and ApplianceLinc and the I/O Linc all use the same enclosure. So do several Smartenit devices.

OTOH, I do miss the pass-through outlet on the older devices. I even added pass-throughs to Access Points.

Archived